Tazewell @ Graham

Grundy10

Best effort of the year for Graham. They were up by 32 late in the game before the benches began to clear. Good effort by all the kids as the Gmen dominated. They started strong and were up by 21 at the half. Looks like the G-Men are starting to click. Good coaching job tonight too. Way to go G-Men. (What happened at the end of the game? I heard there was a fight after we left)

T.J. Rasnick showed himself for the immature boy that he is. After the final buzzer he decided to shove one of the Graham players from behind. There for a second things almost got completely out of control. Credit to Coach Marrs and some others from Tazewell for getting things under control.

In my opinion, it is time someone stepped in and helped that boy learn some self control. Of course I doubt the coach (Daddy) does any thing. If Keith Hovis doesn't step in there is going to come a time when things don't get brought under control.

[ QUOTE ]

i was immature and pushed the guy from behind????? must have been a different game.... when somebody hacks you then jumps up in your face what do you do? push them out of your face... but yeah i did push the guy so what how many other people pushed somebody on that court??

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, when somebody "hacks" you and then jumps in your face...LET THE OFFICIALS HANDLE IT!!! If the Officials don't "handle things", then let your coach "handle things" with the Officials.

By "pushing them out of your face", you display that you have no "self control" and get the reputation of being a "hot head"...damn, some of you kids are stupid...

[ QUOTE ]

Best effort of the year for Graham. They were up by 32 late in the game before the benches began to clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, how bad is Tazewell to get routed by a less than average Graham team like that? The SWD basketball tournament promises to be a classic...lol

The whole situation could have been avoided if the refs. would have been a little more consistent on both ends of the floor.I agree the coach needs to handle this, and if he doesn't, well it won't get any better.It was a real poor show of sportsmanship. I thought coach Marrs moved pretty quick to break up this shoving match.Tazewell can do better ,but they need to work on the ATTITUDES first!There is no I in TEAM! Good win for the G-MEN.

[ QUOTE ]

the officials officiate the Basketball GAME! They don't break up fights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so, however, if they were doing their job properly, things would not get out of control to the point that a fight would break out. Warnings to all players and coaches, technical fouls and ejections, if necessary, would take care of this type of situation in a heartbeat. But as I said, if the officials were doing their job properly, it would never get to that point...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Best effort of the year for Graham. They were up by 32 late in the game before the benches began to clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, how bad is Tazewell to get routed by a less than average Graham team like that? The SWD basketball tournament promises to be a classic...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham is bad but T'town is terrible. Whoever wins the SWD this year will make a quick exit from the Region tournament. The SWD is as bad in basketball this year as the Highlands is in football...every year.

Don't expect the Tazewell Co. teams to improve much over the next several years...as long as the TCSB continues to have a "short" basketball season at the Middle School level, "quality of play" is only going to get worse...

Richlands has beaten Marion and Grundy has beaten Abingdon. CC has beaten both Grundy and Richlands at home. I think the SWD has held more than its own against Highlands competition this season. If a SWD vs HD matchup were to take place in the Region tournament I think the SWD can hold its own.

Also, the BDT says Tazewell was 18-46 from the free throw line. 46 foul shots is alot so the officials must have been keeping the players in check pretty much.

The problem was uneven calls. At one point in the 3rd quarter, Tazewell had been whistled for 1 foul, Graham 9. This in spite if the fact that some kids push off on every rebound, every screen and every shot. And you know who they are too. There were probably 10 shots by Graham in the 3rd quarter alone where smacks were heard loudly in the stands or kids hit the floor or the wall....No Call. We won so it didn't matter. But it is the truth. That is why it got out of hand. This is a pretty heated rivalry and the kids were doing a lot of talking. The refs let it go and as Tazewell got more frustrated it escalated. The incident at the end would have never happened if the refs were consistent and firm. It didn't change the outcome of the game as Graham was clearly ready to play (finally!) but it didn't have to get ugly.

[ QUOTE ]

Richlands has beaten Marion and Grundy has beaten Abingdon. CC has beaten both Grundy and Richlands at home. I think the SWD has held more than its own against Highlands competition this season. If a SWD vs HD matchup were to take place in the Region tournament I think the SWD can hold its own.

Also, the BDT says Tazewell was 18-46 from the free throw line. 46 foul shots is alot so the officials must have been keeping the players in check pretty much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying the Highlands is very good either, especially Marion...don't forget about that other district in Region IV...there are five teams in the Piedmont that would win both the SWD and the Highlands this year...sad but true...

marion looks like a jv team out there, i think what he was talking about earlier was the swd is as bad this year in basketball as the highlands usually are in football ... no head to head comparison

I agree totally with what you said about the shortened middle school season. They play only for 4 weeks and they play each county team twice then have a tourn. This is one of the sorriest things I've ever been part of. Also the rec. leagues in Tazewell county are terrible. There is no coaching going on. They need to teach these kids the fundamentals of the game. It's getting to the point now that high school coaches are having to spend way to much time with tings that you should learn coming through elementary and middle school. If you look at these schools, you'll see maybe two players from each team with good fundamentals and maybe one of those two will have some kind of basketball IQ and a knowledge of the game and how to play it.

blaming fundamentals on the city leagues has about as much background as blaming lack of fundamentals on "street ball" and "and 1", of course i think the latter has a better argument.

[ QUOTE ]

blaming fundamentals on the city leagues has about as much background as blaming lack of fundamentals on "street ball" and "and 1", of course i think the latter has a better argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a valid argument...kids are not learning the fundamentals in city/rec leagues that they need to play and be competitive at the high school level. Kids are not learning how to run a set offense, play defense, shoot free throws, etc.

I remember back in the day when I played little league and junior high basketball, we would spend lots of time at practice just doing the "basic" things...passing drills, shooting layups and jumpers, shooting free throws. The rest of the time was spent learning how to run offensive plays, learning how to play zone defenses, learning how to run presses and break presses by passing the ball, you know, the basics of how the game is supposed to be played.

What I see at the high school level now is sickening to watch. Its all about individuals trying to go "one-on-one" to make plays. The "team" concept seems to have been tossed out the window. I wouldn't put the full blame on lack of fundamentals on "street ball" or "and 1" because you see the same crap in the NBA. But at this level, lack of coaching at the early stages of development (in youth/rec/city leagues) is a huge part of the problem.

IMO.. The officials need to warn players, and coaches of what they are seeing on the floor. Coaches know their players temperment, therefore should pull players that are at risk of doing something wrong on the floor(cool down peroid). It's T time or ejection after that. IF it goes on and nothing is done, it spills over to teamates and to angry parents and fans.. Its a bad situation.

Coaches and Officials are teachers of lifes lessons out there. Its a pretty dang big responsibility.

The Rec leagues nowadays simply put players in a spot on the court and have them stand there untill the ball comes near them. Some teams may have 1 or 2 kids that can play a little bit and they dribble and shoot it everytime they get a chance. I don't want to get on the subject or parent coaching but you all know what those situations are. They are now worse than ever in MY OPINION. The game now does seem to be all about isolation plays with certain players. (I'm talking about the high school level now) They don't know how to play the game. They don't move the ball or move without it. They stand around and watch players dribble around until they jack up a stupid shot. Even with the zone defences, kids don't know how to rotate to cover up spots that will break the zones. It's real bad and I don't even like going to watch anymore. I go now simply for moral support for my family and neighborhood kids.

This goes for everyone, if you want to discuss something then that's fine. However, if you cannot discuss it in a mature, respectible manner then don't discuss it. I have little patience for the childish name-calling and personal attacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Bluefield_Rules IS a moderator on this board. If he deems a post to be inappropriate, he has the power to remove it with the backing of myself, Lance, and all other board monitors. If you don't like to play by our rules, please find somewhere else to play. Consider this your second and final warning.