LPD principals propose a fourth Group A, Region D

Beamerball

http://www.timesnews.net/sportsArticle.dna?_StoryID=3590474

Sunday, January 15, 2006

By GEORGE THWAITES

Times-News

What'll they call it? The Lonesome Pine District West? The Lonesome Pine District East? The Lonesome Pine District South?

Here's a better suggestion: let's call it the District Formerly Known as the Highlands.

On Thursday, the LPD principals considered five different proposals for absorbing the VHSL's assignment of Virginia High, Lee High, John Battle and Lebanon. The plan that emerged from that meeting will send Coeburn out of the LPD into the Cumberland and Ervinton out of the Cumberland into the Black Diamond.

Gate City, meanwhile, will say goodbye to its short, happy dominance of LPD sports to join the Bearcats, Generals, Trojans and Pioneers in the formation of a new Group A league.

What these schools all have in common is that they have all been members of the Group AA Highlands District at one time or another. The only missing components are Abingdon and Marion - apparently headed for Southwest District membership. The only tie this proposed new district has with the LPD is Gate City. And those ties, while historic, have been tenuous at best.

Unlike Powell Valley - which was clearly unhappy with the extra mileage involved if the Vikings had been successfully shunted into the proposed new district - the Blue Devils were excited from the outset at the prospect of a new league.

"The district was one that I'd chosen along with coach (Nick) Colobro," said Gate City principal Mike Brickey. "Gate City is happy with it. I think it will be good for Gate City and I think it will make the region stronger."

Sweetening the deal for Gate City were commitments from Powell Valley, Appalachia, J.I. Burton and Clintwood to keep the Blue Devils as a nonconference opponent in 2007-08 and 2008-09.

It seems likely that those schools - Powell Valley for certain - would renew those contracts into the foreseeable future. Gate City has been picking up more interstate opponents in volleyball, basketball and baseball in recent years. A new district may also create opportunities for interstate football matchups in the future.

Brickey's only misgiving about what emerged from Thursday's meeting is that the new district is comprised entirely of the region's largest Division 2 schools. But in the long run, that objection may be moot. The formation of the new league may encourage undersized Southwest Virginia Group AA programs that have been playing over their heads to apply for asylum in Region D.

"I think Group AA in Southwest Virginia has been propped up by Group A schools for years. You take them out of Group AA and there's not much left," Brickey said. "I'd like to see Grundy, Graham and Tazewell come in eventually. I think the more big schools we have in Region D, the better."

Neither Coeburn nor Ervinton are expected to have trouble with their respective assignments under the proposed plan. Cumberland membership is something the Blue Knights have sought in recent years. Geographically, Ervinton shouldn't be any the worse for wear traveling in the BDD. Battle, the newcomer with the coldest feet, seems to be warming up to the idea.

Still, there will be room for arguments and objections prior to the final vote in Wednesday's Region D principals meeting. The proposal will require a two-thirds majority to pass. Proposed new members Lebanon, Virginia High, John Battle and Lee High all will have a vote.

If that proposal passes, it will be forwarded to the Virginia High School League R&R Committee for consideration during its February meeting.

sounds good to me balanced districts, new opponents in the region, the bdd gets another football member(even if it is ervinton), haysi clintwood and honaker will move down to Div 1, I like it. Also I would like to see grundy drop to single A and join the BDD

[ QUOTE ]

sounds good to me balanced districts, new opponents in the region, the bdd gets another football member(even if it is ervinton), haysi clintwood and honaker will move down to Div 1, I like it. Also I would like to see grundy drop to single A and join the BDD

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you wanna see Grundy in the Black Diamond District? You think there gonna be down like this past year allways? They aint then youll want them back in the Southwest...

If Grundy was to join the BDD, they would be allowed to participate in another district (like the LPD or Hogo) that has wrestling, granted that the other district let them, or they could probably remain in the SWD for wrestling since single A and Double A are combined for wrestling.

Seems like I remember Garden competing in the LPD tourney when they tried wrestling a few years.

The VHSL has "moved" the Hogo to Region D for Regionals, since so few D schools have teams.

I've know lots of people over the years who thought A & AA were/are combined because Salem hosts the A/AA State Tournament every year. I have to tell them : it's A "AND" AA - they have a large floor there.

Yeah, you're right, wrestling is seperate. I thought they were combined for some reason. Yeah Helper, I've always read "combined A/AA wrestling finals" or something like that and thought they were together!

I dont want grundy in the bdd to beat up on I want them in because they are located in the middle of the district, according to size they are a single A school and all of their sports programs (boys and girls) would be welcome additions to the District also giving us six teams

not to mention grundy would make it a three team race for the district title

it seems that Vhigh and Lee are moving down I am assuming that the southwest and highlands are going to form a new district will they keep one of the current names or come up with a new one? the AA district should be the Southwest and the new A district the highlands

I dont know very much about battle(I know their football team sucks) and only know about V high lee and lebanon in football how good are they in other sports

I dont know why they keep bringing this stuff up...all of the schools in this area have similar enrollment figures...all that needs to be done is kick caroll county out of the SWD, absorb the Highlands into the SWD and you are done...lots of good traditional rivalry there and no schedule problems...competitive district title race...and everyone "should" be happy...and bring Lebanon in to the mix as well...talk about an awesome district...check it out...would make for some good games in a lot of sports...and they are all within an hour and a half drive of each other...in football each would only have to pick up 3 out of district games per year.

SWD:

Marion

Lebanon

Abingdon

Grundy

Richlands

Graham

Tazewell

Va High

[ QUOTE ]

SWD:

Marion

Lebanon

Abingdon

Grundy

Richlands

Graham

Tazewell

Va High

[/ QUOTE ]

That's going to be a very good Class A district in a couple of years...minus Abingdon, of course...

Or with this alignment, there is a little better balance among the districts, instead of puting all the former AA schools into one big district. No one would probably like this because of the bigger schools thrown into districts with the smaller schools, but that would prevent a lot of the problems the Div. 2 teams in Region D and C have been having lately of weaker D2 teams from weak districts making the the playoffs over teams that play in stronger districts.

Region D

honaker

lebanon

tazewell

richlands

graham

gate city

lee high

jj kelly

coeburn

powell valley

rye cove

st paul

castlewood

thomas walker

ervinton

appalachia

j i burton

twin springs

pound

clintwood

haysi

twin valley

council

hurley

grundy

Region C

virginia high

john battle

patrick henry

holtson

northwood

chilhowie

marion

george wythe

rural retreat

grayson county

galax

fort chiswell

pocahontas

bland

narrows

Pioneer and TRD unchanged

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

SWD:

Marion

Lebanon

Abingdon

Grundy

Richlands

Graham

Tazewell

Va High

[/ QUOTE ]

That's going to be a very good Class A district in a couple of years...minus Abingdon, of course...

[/ QUOTE ]

Comments like that make me can't wait for football to start back up.... Even though we BEAT Marion, barely lost to Va High, Grundy, and Tazewell, and did decent against Richlands. Plus we are getting everyone back, unlike all the other teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comments like that make me can't wait for football to start back up.... Even though we BEAT Marion, barely lost to Va High, Grundy, and Tazewell, and did decent against Richlands. Plus we are getting everyone back, unlike all the other teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure what Grundy game you were at but you didnt "barely" lose.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

SWD:

Marion

Lebanon

Abingdon

Grundy

Richlands

Graham

Tazewell

Va High

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, stop my sides are hurting from laughing so much. You are a 3 win team at best. I don't care if the whole team is coming back. Your "great" coach did you guys a lot of good last year. If he was so great, why is he coaching at Abingdon? Good thing you quit playing Graham, or you would be a 2 win team. And you won't beat any of those teams you mentioned this year either. Why? It's simple, you have no heart.

[ QUOTE ]

and he ment by how the rest of the schools have like 500 kids and you guys have like 2,233,545,453 kids he ment you guys will stay "AA"

i think lol

[/ QUOTE ]

No I didn't...LOL...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

SWD:

Marion

Lebanon

Abingdon

Grundy

Richlands

Graham

Tazewell

Va High

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, stop my sides are hurting from laughing so much. You are a 3 win team at best. I don't care if the whole team is coming back. Your "great" coach did you guys a lot of good last year. If he was so great, why is he coaching at Abingdon? Good thing you quit playing Graham, or you would be a 2 win team. And you won't beat any of those teams you mentioned this year either. Why? It's simple, you have no heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

We WILL win 3 games, and more, hopefully. I don't try to make us sound awesome, because we aren't, and no, 3/4ths of us don't have heart. But I guarentee we will beat at least 1 of these teams above.

As for our Coach, he is Coaching at Abingdon because he has a son in high school, so he wanted to have a stable place for him, instead of a college coaching gig.

Playing Graham woulda been awesome. Yes, yall may win, but it doesn't mean we won't try and win. You will have a good team, no doubt abuot it. I'm sorry I just try to have confidence in a place I will be.

Guest redneckman

vcats you have no room to talk you cant beat any of them either who do you all beat nobody so you better watch what you are saying about another team or school. Amatter of fact you all could have came to the swd but didnt and went to single A so like i said no room to talk about any team or school because you all are not that much better than abingdon. SO SHHHH

Oh trust me I know we're no good either. But where still better than Abingdon. I guess people around here are happy winning 3 games a year and making the playoffs. It makes no sense to me either.