Grundy Droping to single A?

Counts

I heard a rumer that Grundy was dropping to single A at the begining of the next cycle (2007-2008) I assume they would be in the BDD if it happens.

#1 Is there anyone that can conferm or shoot down this rumer?

#2 If it is true how long before the Tazwell Co. schools join them in single A status (All but Richlands are already single A size and Richlands is smaller size wise than Lee and would be in a simular situation as Lee was travel wise if all the Single A sized AA schools drop.

I think before the Tazewell County schools dropped there would be consolidation. Richlands and Tazewell would become one high school located somewhere around Cliffield with the kids from Springville that now go to Tazewell going to Graham and all of Pocy going to graham making two high school taz co. east and taz. county west

There was a proposal made by some group (from another world) that did a study on Tazewell Co. schools several years ago that included consolidation into two high schools. The same proposal also called for the immediate closing of Pocahontas HS...which has yet to happen. I don't forsee TCSB or Tazewell Co. coming up with the money to build two new high schools anytime soon.

Enrollment numbers of all the high schools in Tazewell Co. will be at the Class A level well before any consolidation plans go into the works. Don't be suprised to see all the Tazewell Co. schools playing at the Class A level as soon as Richlands' numbers drop to that point.

Yeah, Region D should probably hold off for a few years on creating that proposed new district. If/when Richlands, Marion, Grundy, Graham, and Tazewell drop down, they'll have to redistrict Region D all over again.

I don't know about holding up the redistricing for something that may never happen I just don't think everyone should get to used to the new districs becouse I think in two to four years they will be changing again

[ QUOTE ]

I think before the Tazewell County schools dropped there would be consolidation. Richlands and Tazewell would become one high school located somewhere around Cliffield with the kids from Springville that now go to Tazewell going to Graham and all of Pocy going to graham making two high school taz co. east and taz. county west

[/ QUOTE ]

They said that 20 years ago.....still waiting for that to happen. We will all be single A by 2010. Count on it.

And everyone's still waiting for the Dickenson Co. consolidation of Haysi/whoever with the new flood-plan school. And kinda waiting to see what happens in Wise Co.

It will be hilarious if Grundy and another SWD school or 2 decide to stay "A" when the numbers need to be petitioned this Fall. The new realignment plan may need to be "tweaked" again.

I think you could add 1 or 2 teams to the BDD pretty easy.

The latest on the DC consolidation is "Waiting on fed money" (since the consolidation plan was blessed by the Corp of engineers I am told it is all but a done deal) I have been told by some that should know that as soon as that money comes down the pipe they will break ground....now when will that happen? I think the only date I have ever seen was 2006(this year) and even if the money comes through this year I figure it would be 2 or 3 years before a new HS would be ready for new students (that is my guess only)

Wise Co. has pretty much shut down consolidation talks for the next several years and it will be interesting how things play out over there the next few years as a larger peace of the school funding pie goes to building maintenance for schools with 150-200 students

[ QUOTE ]

I think you could add 1 or 2 teams to the BDD pretty easy.

The latest on the DC consolidation is "Waiting on fed money" (since the consolidation plan was blessed by the Corp of engineers I am told it is all but a done deal) I have been told by some that should know that as soon as that money comes down the pipe they will break ground....now when will that happen? I think the only date I have ever seen was 2006(this year) and even if the money comes through this year I figure it would be 2 or 3 years before a new HS would be ready for new students (that is my guess only)

Wise Co. has pretty much shut down consolidation talks for the next several years and it will be interesting how things play out over there the next few years as a larger peace of the school funding pie goes to building maintenance for schools with 150-200 students

[/ QUOTE ]

The way they throw schools up nowadays, if they start in 2006 it will definitely be ready by fall of 2007.

LOL When I say ground breaking I mean mounton top removel I think it will take all of a year to get the site ready to have something built on it.... In any case that can't happen until DC actualy gets the money

[ QUOTE ]

LOL When I say ground breaking I mean mounton top removel I think it will take all of a year to get the site ready to have something built on it.... In any case that can't happen until DC actualy gets the money

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of tons of TNT and all they'll have to do is grade what's left of the mountain...

[ QUOTE ]

I heard a rumer that Grundy was dropping to single A at the begining of the next cycle (2007-2008) I assume they would be in the BDD if it happens.

#1 Is there anyone that can conferm or shoot down this rumer?

#2 If it is true how long before the Tazwell Co. schools join them in single A status (All but Richlands are already single A size and Richlands is smaller size wise than Lee and would be in a simular situation as Lee was travel wise if all the Single A sized AA schools drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your fourth word you typed should have said it all...RUMOR...I dont see this happening especially with the plans for building a new school here..with no plans on consolidation.....

It is a rumor because it is as yet not been announced. I have heard from 2 good sources that the announcement would be made at the VHSL meeting on the 8th(?)

You very well could be right and the whole thing is a farce however the rumors of GC dropping to the LPD started about a year before they did (I was told by MANY GC folks that they would never ever drop during that same year) The rumors of Va High Dropping started about 2 and a half years ago and 6 months ago they announced there dropping to A. So Just because it is still only a rumor I am not ready to dismiss it.

the new school is being put off until the road is done. (6 years) they are going to renovate the high school. even if a school was to be built now it would not be a problem to drop to single a. the numbers are going to be the same if they stay at the old school or go to the new school. i will have to say that this is a very, very, very good rumor this time around. it is getting close to having the entire old swd forming their own district.

[ QUOTE ]

i'd be all for that myself...the old swd was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

your right there Lance...In all reality it would be the 2007 season at the earliest this could happen would I be correct in that assumption?

[ QUOTE ]

would this be the Single A version of the old SWD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, yes. The original SWD teams were Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy, Marion, Patrick Henry, John Battle, Abingdon, Virginia High, and Gate City. Lebanon joined in the early 80s. Lee never was a part of the SWD. The district broke up in '86 with Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy, and Lebanon remaining in the SWD. Lebanon left in '90 to drop to Class A. When they returned to AA later in the '90s, they joined the Highlands District. Carroll Co. joined the SWD in the mid/late 90s when the New River District collapsed and Blacksburg and Christiansburg joined the Blue Ridge District.

grundy as of march 1st has an enrollment of 478 9-12. well below the cutoff. all they have to do is petition to go to single a for 2007-2009. the modification plan is if grundy wants to play up.

[ QUOTE ]

grundy as of march 1st has an enrollment of 478 9-12. well below the cutoff. all they have to do is petition to go to single a for 2007-2009. the modification plan is if grundy wants to play up.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't even have to "petition"...since they already have Class A numbers all they have to do is notify the VHSL that they will be playing at their enrollment level...