What is going on at Grundy

wasp1

I am just wondering if there going to be any changes with Grundy Coaching staff? And I also want to know when was the last time Grundy did not have anyone in the finals? And when was the last time Grundy placed out of the top 10 in the state?

I was thinking there was another year not that long ago when there werent any finalists. I dont know how long it has been since they were out of the top 10 in state, never may be a good answer. Anybody have any guesses about Coaching?

[ QUOTE ]

I was thinking there was another year not that long ago when there werent any finalists. I dont know how long it has been since they were out of the top 10 in state, never may be a good answer. Anybody have any guesses about Coaching?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the worst finish in 20 years...

hard to believe in 5 years time they've went from winning the Duals to this.

• 5 weeks later...

well...just my opinion...which i get in trouble for saying all of the time..but here it is:

back in the day when Grundy started making what was probably one of the greatest runs at state in high school sports anywhwere in the nation...they had a great core group of supporters that invested a lot of time (not just money) in the program to build it...over the years that core group has gone its separate ways and the leadership is not what it was then...but..the main thing is the way the program was run at that time vs. now...the kids from back then up through the mid 90's were tuff as nails...they conditioned those kids to no end...they ran that program like a machine and that's just not there anymore...the discipline is just not what it was.

As with the rest of Grundy sports...the closing of all the lower grade level schools has hurt. No longer do you have the little league system that was as competetive as it was even 10 years ago...it's all gone.

You can thank the likes of Jim Wayne Childress, Red Robertson, WJ Caudill, Kenny Perkins, Jake Mullins, Danny Church, George Crigger, Larry Ratliff, and a lot of other people from that era for the success that Grundy had in the late 80's up to the late 90's in not just wrestling, but all sports...they are the core group that kept the last of the little league system going...over time it just faded and is dead today...things are not going to get any better until things change at the most basic level...someone will figure that out someday i hope.

Lance,

Let me say this you are partially right and partially wrong. Grundy is just as conditioned as ever. The biggest problem is something you touched on. During the "Glory Days", Grundy had 5 feeder schools and 300 wrestlers competeing in the largest wrestling club in the country. Now there is one consolidated school and two schools k-5. The little league wrestling has 64 wrestlers this year. Population does make a differance. The number of athletes that come through has drastically decreased. The kids that slipped through the cracks in the "glory days" are the same type kids that are leading your teams now. All you can do is train what you got to the best of their ability.

fair enough...i'd just like to see the basketball, football, and wrestling programs going strong again. I dont think dropping down to single A is the answer either...just my opinion.

Another problem is this, every kid plays AAU basketball in this county. What a waste of time and money. It funny how kids will participate when they know they are going to get a trophy. Every parent wants little Johnny to be an all-American.

The wrestling program has no leadership. They need a new middle school coach. The coaching staff needs to stop coaching their kids to be quitters and finally the kids need to stop living off the past and develop their own work ethic.

[ QUOTE ]

Its going to be pretty hard to. When your biggest kids are in the band!

[/ QUOTE ]

there are only like what 30 people in band total? it's just a sad time all around right now if you are a Grundy fan...the little league thing is the main problem i think.

• 5 months later...

LMAO.. AAU basketball a waste of time? why do i think that is one of the dumbest statements i have ever heard..??.. i played my 7th grade year and that improved me more than ever and we (BBF) even get to go to Nationals this summer to participate in a national tournament after placing in teh Commonwealth Games... there is No Way! that AAU is a waste of time.. but, this is a wrestling board.. back to wrestling.. after the schools all joined, like everyone has said, they loose their competitive spirit... instead of having the Vansant Vikings vs. Big Rock or something, it is Riverview vs. Riverview... they dont have the competitive feel in it... just my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]

The answer is to all of grundys problems is caused by one person DALE COX. They get rid of DALE they get rid of all the problems. He is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]a joke? if this is the same cox i rem. in the mid 2late 80S hed run take down drills with you till he felt sorry for you and stuk you with a choke nelson he did that all the way trough the state no joke

wrong cox. that is mike cox, 3 time state champ. now a police officer. but, you know if he would have listen to "the ledgend", he would have been a 4 time champ. dale graduated around 76 or 77. only thing he can choke out, is his chicken.

the problem at grundy..... its not coaching, its not that the kids dont try, its is trying to get the kids to follow certain guidlines of working hard... its a differnt generation of kids....what i refer to as the playstation/xbox generation they would rather set at home and play on a computer and listen to their brand new a Ipods then do something productive with their lives. and another thing is why would certain people in the county want another sport in the county(soccer) when they have just enough kids to even practice football, or when there best girls basketball player was from bristol it dont make much since to me but thats just me.... defcoachdontleave

[ QUOTE ]

the problem at grundy..... its not coaching, its not that the kids dont try, its is trying to get the kids to follow certain guidlines of working hard... its a differnt generation of kids....what i refer to as the playstation/xbox generation they would rather set at home and play on a computer and listen to their brand new a Ipods then do something productive with their lives. and another thing is why would certain people in the county want another sport in the county(soccer) when they have just enough kids to even practice football, or when there best girls basketball player was from bristol it dont make much since to me but thats just me.... defcoachdontleave

[/ QUOTE ]

Your last words if I translate correct is defensive coach dont leave....I hope the hell he dont either..but for the rest of your post,you touched on some tangible things,the xbox/playstation crowd does hurt the little league more I think as they get older they usually grow a pair and try to do something...The big buzz kill is when you have a middle school football coach who has an agenda to steer kids away from the varsity level...when he tells kids as he did this year"It's in your best interest to wrestle" sounds like a threat to me..lot of those kids like basketball so you force them to choose(if there gonna be middle school age the next year)and some will quit both because of it...You practice one day a week,so what you whip teams with 14-15 yr olds that have 12-13 yr olds but when you play a team that is equall and practices 4-5 days a week like Tazwell this year you get your butt whipped..It's not lack of effort on Dales part that you dont practice but one time a week it's his master plan...As olewave stated when they go to the next level they feel as if there droped from the hair of the head into the jungle when they have to actually do 2 A days then practice every day through out the season.they end up overwhelmed and a lot will not make it through 2 a days..That hurts the football and wrestling programs when kid's feel they have to make a choice,not just one of them..If the people who make the choices on who is gonna head our middle school program isnt gonna make the hard choice which should be an easy one maybe we should do as one school board member stated "If you dont teach,you dont coach....that would remedy one problem..

couldnt have said it better myself, say u sound really familar for some reason....and for the def coach i pray to god he stays for at least one more year....and for the coach on the middle school level iam in the position where i cant really comment on thatt.....

paul harvey.... good day

Brother Pargo thinks it might be more like a mountain bluebird than a little blue jay birdie. He says that they are a lot smaaaaaaaaaaaaaller if thats what you are impling there olewave. Ya all take care now.