New SWD

oldskool

I think the additon of Abingdon and Marion is good for the SW,not only for atheletics but in the classroom as well. Abingdon won the Wachovia cup a couple years ago if I'm not mistaken. (check my spelling on that).And atheletically both schools are always good competition. But just like everyother team in the SWD they have their off years.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two of the most memorable games I ever watched were against Abingdon and Marion. A 15-15 tie with Abingdon allowed the Falcons to remain unbeaten, and if I'm not mistaken they finished up 9-0-1. The game against Marion was a defensive battle that the Blues won 3-0. Man I miss the old SWD. Every team was good and every game mattered.

[ QUOTE ]

is CC staying in the SWD or they going else where!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Staying in the SWD...no way do they want to play in either the Piedmont or the River Ridge...

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

so its going to be

Abingdon, Carroll County, Graham, Grundy, Marion, Richlands, Tazewell?

[/ QUOTE ]

any changes on the swd for 2007 or is this the way its set up?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

so its going to be

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was V-High instead of Marion!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

so its going to be

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was V-High instead of Marion!!

[/ QUOTE ]

V-High's dropping down...that way they can legitimately load up the schedule with Class A teams...

If you think the SWD will be tough then, you should've been around in the 80's before it was split and the Highlands was created. There was some great football EVERY Friday night. Come playoff time though every team was beat half to death.

those were the good ole days with i think it was 10 district teams meaning you had 9 district teams to deal with to even have a chance at the playoffs from the swd. was very tough then.

I had heard a rumor that when the VHSL does it's next reclassification that Graham, Grundy, and Tazewell were going to join Gate City, VA High, Lebanon, John Battle, and Lee in the new district. Has anyone else heard this? That would be a great district. Close to the old days of the TRUE Southwest District. If only they would put that district back together. Great games in every sport.

You must be thinking of one of the proposals that didn't fly. Next year Abingdon and Marion will join the SWD while VHS and Lee drop to single-A. The Highlands will be disolved.

I actually heard it after all of these moves were made and went public. This is part of the long range plan for the new district since Graham, Grundy and Tazewell all have enrollements smaller than GC, Lee, and Va High.

[ QUOTE ]

I actually heard it after all of these moves were made and went public. This is part of the long range plan for the new district since Graham, Grundy and Tazewell all have enrollements smaller than GC, Lee, and Va High.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not going to happen in 2007...maybe the next R&R after that though...

Three teams...you forgot Carroll Co...or they could join up with B-Burg, C-Burg, and PC and kick Salem to the curb, back to the BRD...Abingdon, Carroll Co., Richlands, Pulaski Co., Blacksburg, and Christiansburg would be a great district...

We also forgot Marion. I agree that would be a killer district but I think Richlands would be the red headed step-child being the only school without direct access to an interstate.

[ QUOTE ]

We also forgot Marion. I agree that would be a killer district but I think Richlands would be the red headed step-child being the only school without direct access to an interstate.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you've got Rt. 460 and Rt. 19...easy access to Abingdon, Blacksburg, Christiansburg...