What is the current statis of Bluefield getting

edrforshey

The problem with picking up a team from the Virginia side is that they are on different scheduling cycles. Virginia schools are in the middle of their two year scheduling cycle. A Virginia school would most likely have to break a contract to schedule Bluefield this season (or any other West Virginia school).

Salem would beat Bluefield most of the time. Salem has won two straight state titles and has a great young quaterback, even though bluefeild can beat alot of team, i dont think that they would like to play salem year in and year out

lol. good cockiness lol u need it to be able to win and you know that bluefield is able to win, i just dont think they can beat salem a school with double or triple the attendance, but bluefeild has made it to state 4 or 5 years in a row.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bluefield would beat them. I mean you have to look at other things besides enrollment. Just because a school is bigger than another doesn't always mean they have better athletes. Bluefield has in my opinion probably played better teams in the past than Salem. Pulaski comes to mind as a school that's had better teams in the past.

well bluefield might of. I was just sayin they have won 2 straight titles and gave richlands one of their 3 loses in 2 years by a huge margin. pulaski...we scrimmaged them, beat them 30-0 i belive.

The only time Bluefield played a nationally ranked PC team, they were beaten 56-7. Cougar starters didn't take a snap in the 2nd half. Of course, I believe that Bluefield team went 0-10.

And why bother even talking about playing Salem. Salem won't play a single-A school, and that's where Bluefield's enrollment would put them in Virginia.

ok lee. I think bluefield would beat them often, yea the last couple of year may be questionable but I think over all it would go back and forth. I wish we would of had richlands the last couple of years, that would broke some of your all's hearts in here. As for the 0-10 season..no excuse but, if I recall all the seniors quit the team over something..not sure it was in 94. That could have been a better game.

I wouldn't mind watching Salem and Bluefield,or Salem and Richlands again especially lastyear that woudl have been a good match up. I enjoyed watching Pulaski lastyear at Richlands. I wish they were having the benefit game again at the Ernie this year or at Pulaski I'd travel to see that one.

In my opinion bluefield salem the last few years would be anything but all salem, '05 almost certainly for salem but you have to consider the strength of bluefield's '03 and '04 teams. Martinsburg was still the only team that really trounced basset in '04 and bassett played closely with with the top aa teams in va. in the playoffs.

Myself I'd honestly lend salem the benefit of the doubt more games out of a handful though, because of their enrollment they are able to reload more with more depth than bluefield is and only a 1 or 2 more quality skill position players often make a difference.

But in myopinion bluefield would compete with them very respectably longterm and would have their victories over good salem teams here and there as well. As a bluefield fan I'd rather them schedule teams such as salem or pulaski county than an easier program that they're likely to defeat 8 out of 10 times.

It's only talk anyhow of course, not likely to happen, pc more likely than salem though..

Not certain if bluefield would really only be 1a in va though?

That said, as I've written, they should look to the mt. airy and wilksboro region of nc,as obviously the va and tn area seems to be played out for bluefield presently.

Many of those teams are within 1 to 2 hours travel and many are 1a in nc but that translates to at least aa or higher in wv, and they have quality football teams.

I don't know where starmount is exactly there in that region, winston salem maybe, but that team has had longterm success.

I've read through their site before.

http://www.starmountrams.com/

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mind watching Salem and Bluefield,or Salem and Richlands again especially lastyear that woudl have been a good match up. I enjoyed watching Pulaski lastyear at Richlands. I wish they were having the benefit game again at the Ernie this year or at Pulaski I'd travel to see that one.

[/ QUOTE ]i thought they were having it at pulaski this year.?

On last year's VHSL master schedule, Bluefield was listed as a Division 2 school. Graham got Division 2 points for their victory over Bluefield.

Salem and Pulaski County can't afford to play Division 2 schools, especially when the other Division 4 schools in Region III (Amherst, Heritage, Fleming, etc.) are playing Division 5 and 6 schools.

I know that Virginia schools are classified according to grades 9-12 and WV schools 9-11. I'm curious to know, is Bluefield classified in the Virginia system according to their 9-11 enrollment numbers, which is 505, or total enrollment 9-12? Bluefield's enrollment in 9-12 is over 650. I'm not sure if that would make a difference in the Virginia classification system or not because I do not know the enrollment cut off for each class.

[ QUOTE ]

I know that Virginia schools are classified according to grades 9-12 and WV schools 9-11. I'm curious to know, is Bluefield classified in the Virginia system according to their 9-11 enrollment numbers, which is 505, or total enrollment 9-12? Bluefield's enrollment in 9-12 is over 650. I'm not sure if that would make a difference in the Virginia classification system or not because I do not know the enrollment cut off for each class.

[/ QUOTE ]

650 is Class A in VA...it took 730+ to be classified as AA, of course several teams still play up with less enrollment. But, yes, Bluefield is considered Class A-size school in the VA rating system.