TOP 5 BEST PLAYERS FROM BLUEFIELD.

FOOTBALLMAN

Since we went over over all team lets explore top ten all time players to come from bluefield?

1.Charlie Tynes

2.Cortez Martin

3.Pete Wood

4.Donald Amaker

5. three way tie for me Isabel cousins (Yubrenal & Raymond)and hugh smalls.

sorry i cheated and got 3 on my 5th..lol

[ QUOTE ]

Since we went over over all team lets explore top ten all time players to come from bluefield?

1.Charlie Tynes

2.Cortez Martin

3.Pete Wood

4.Donald Amaker

5. three way tie for me Isabel cousins (Yubrenal & Raymond)and hugh smalls.

sorry i cheated and got 3 on my 5th..lol

[/ QUOTE ]

How could you leave Jay Simms off that list?

Out of the Bluefield players I've seen and no disrespect to the ones I havent seen. Amaker was the most exciting to watch and the that none of us wanted to see on the field lol. He was the hardest to stop, because you had to account for him on every play, because if you didn't all he needed was 1 play to beat you.

what about donnie jackson from 1976. full ride to penn state. transfered to wake and played with another great, wayne baumgardener. jackson out did the alexander the great out of charleston in state finals. alexander was hyped as a potential four time heiseman . went on to wvu and was so so.

all exceptional players mentioned. As for an overall player you could build a strong team around, I would have pete wood, tim sarver, jay sims, and yubrenal isabell in a top 5.

Other considrations might be some overall strong and exceptional players such as teddy coppalo or buddy gilpin. There's been many a really strong overall football player such as them who blended in at bluefield.

Cortez Martin

Jay Sims

Charlie Tynes

Hugh Smalls

Yubrenal Isabell

Amaker does not make top 5, he was great but scared to hit the holes and run plays that where needed and it showed in 98 season when Tynes and Dews where not there for back up...(The fastest ever forum..No.1)

[ QUOTE ]

Cortez Martin

Jay Sims

Charlie Tynes

Hugh Smalls

Yubrenal Isabell

Amaker does not make top 5, he was great but scared to hit the holes and run plays that where needed and it showed in 98 season when Tynes and Dews where not there for back up...(The fastest ever forum..No.1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Pound for pound, Hugh Smalls was one of the toughest players I've ever seen...he definitely wasn't afraid to hit the hole. The backfield of the '84 team was one of the best, most talented backfields I've seen in high school football. They had speed (Smalls), size (Coppolo), and speed and size (Martin).

1. Yubrennal Isabell - got gatorade player of the year and went on to play at UVA

2. Charles Tynes - went on to play at Marshall

3.Cortez Martin

4. Jay Sims - buzzsaw told me that he was going to attend OSU i believe?

5. Donald Amaker

jaycould have played anywhere, but with his character it was no surprise that he was satisfied with a smaller school, he really liked the coaching staff and the smaller atmoshphere at ohio u, and expected he would play db earlier. Not suggesting people who prefer bigger schools have no character, you simply had to know jay to know what I'm suggesting....

[ QUOTE ]

I think that there could also be an argument for Paul Wallace to be placed on the top to list.

[/ QUOTE ]I played with Paul and talent wise I agree but didn't have the desire though. Stacy Carter was a hell of a Qb I would like to see what he could of with Bluefield's offense the last few years?

[ QUOTE ]

what about donnie jackson from 1976. full ride to penn state. transfered to wake and played with another great, wayne baumgardener. jackson out did the alexander the great out of charleston in state finals. alexander was hyped as a potential four time heiseman . went on to wvu and was so so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of Wayne Baumgardner, recent story about him

http://ww2.intouch.org/site/c.7nKFISNvEqG/b.1052329/k.C85E/Wayne_Baumgardner_This_Close.htm

What happened to Amaker anyway?... I remember watching him when i was little, but he was the enemy so i didn't like em' ;-) He was pretty talented.

I also remember Yubrenal Isabel returning the first kickoff of the graham beaver game back for a touchdown..sometime in the 90's .. anyway...he gets my vote for no. 1 player, at least the best as far back as i can remember.

[ QUOTE ]

Donald Amaker went on to play for Tusculum. He was all american there. One awesome player!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. He shattered numerous Tusculum and South Altantic Conference kickoff and punt return records. He was only the fourth Tusculum player to ever earn All-American honors. He also broke or tied serve NCAA Division II kickoff and punt return records as well. He played a key role on some of Tusculum best teams in school history during his time there.

Donald Amaker had some jets. He reminded me of Reggie Bush in a sense because you always had to know where he was on the field at all times and he could hurt you on the ground or in the air as a receiver out of the backfield. He was also an excellent kickoff and punt returner. I heard he was an All-American at Tusculum and I'm glad he did so well there.

If we go off of accomplishments like rocks then pete wood would be at the top. at wvu lead nation in rushing and also was an all-american there. because of injuries settled for playing in the cfl for a little while