Grundy VS Clintwood??????

Mouse

Seems like the little league programs haven't been as active since the elementary schools consolidated. Also, Twin Valley doesn't even have a feeder program of any sort (unless one has been organized this year). I have seen the smaller kids practicing here in Hurley for 3-4 weeks now too. Somebody told me they were going to be playing teams from WV this year.

Obviously I am a Blue Tornado fan, but I really hate to see the decline of football in Grundy. I remember several power house teams they have had over the years. I certainly hope they can build up the little league program soon. Hopefully a week off after the Clintwood loss will give them a chance to regroup.

heard that buchanan has all but folded youth football & russell county not that far behind them. we brought tazewell into the richlands league last year. things are going good. we have 7 teams ages 4-7 / 7 teams ages 8-10 / 7 teams 11-13. heard graham youth playing in bluefield league would love to get a tazewell county league formed.

you are right they are playing in a league in WV. and its real cool they have it set up just like the high school everything from offical refs to a playoff system and the end of the season they go by record W/L this should help the HURLEY program latter on there playing some very good teams they played gilbert this past week and went into overtime and lost this was the 11-12 year olds there looking very good they have a old hurley high coach,coaching them MARK HACKNEY. Its alot of running but if this helps build a better program and they are learning then so be it they have a home game sept.9 everyone is welcome to come to see what the future looks like for HURLEY you will be shocked they even changed ther colors back to the old gold and black if any can remember that .

Back to the black and gold is all dandy and fine, but it is the attitude and dedication that must be seen through on a consistent basis. If your middle school team only has 15-18 kids, typically only half of them will play high school ball. The key is to get as many kids interested at a young age, because if you know half are eventually going to give up the sport, its better to lose half of 25 or 30 than it is to lose half of 16.

Another key to the middle school and little kids football is to play EVERY single kid as many downs as possible. If you got 22 kids, split 'em up and have a starting O and D. Remember, this is middle school and smaller: the goal is not JUST to win by any means necessary, the goal is to spark interest, teach the fundamentals, and encourage the kids to progress through the sport. I know a lot of people disagree with this, but if you split the kids that way and then reverse them in the 2nd half of there games, each kid has gotten an equal amount of playing time on offense AND defense. Chances are, these kids will stick with it much longer.

[ QUOTE ]

WEll i hate to brake it to u all but grundy well be good this year it well just take time...and well make the playoffs...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no you won't...

Guest old_school

[ QUOTE ]

WEll i hate to brake it to u all but grundy well be good this year it well just take time...and well make the playoffs...

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't see this happening for Grundy this year. Looking at the schedule, you may win 3 games. That's not enough to get you to the playoffs.

With the rest of the SWD seemingly as good or better than last season, teams like Shelby Valley and Abingdon playing better ball, and games with Bluefield, Haysi and Oak Hill to boot, Grundy is going to be pressed to match last years win total. This is not a put-down; this is seemingly true.

I agree with you 100% but the problem here at hurley isnt just that to many kids stop playing after they reach the high school age but also the decline in enrollment at almost every school the county it also takes the parents encoragement to keep them involved in it also. we seem to have a good thing going right now but it wouldnt hurt if some of you older guys that have nothing to do in the evenings to stop by and give these kids some pointers Im sure you wont make anyone mad and maybe these kids may find what you say more understanding who knows? practice what you preach all were doing is helping the future not only in sports but in most kids lives. thanks for responding.