WCYB-5 Player of the Week

WHSHokies

He has the size, toughness, arm strength, accuracy, intelligence and character. He's everything a D-1 school wants. Alabama and Wake Forrest are the schools that have been mentioned.

[ QUOTE ]

From what I've read UVA offered to let him walk on, which I wouldn't consider a valid offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why alot of our kids in this area don't get offers to go to any big schools. They think getting invited to walk on at a D-1 school is an insult! When in fact alot of these kids need to jump on these invites! I beleive that one reason that the kids in our area don't get more offers is because (not all kids but most) if they think they are not going to play right away after ariveing on campus, they decide to come home and not stick it out and work hard to maybe play as a Jr. or Sr. Our area has good enough talent to be playing on Saturdays it's really a shame we don't see more doing so!

The question would remain in finance. Would it be a better decision to receive a free ride at a small school or pay to go to UVA and have a shot at making the practice squad? If you have the money I would say go for UVA, otherwise go to a small school for free room and board and receive a quality education. How many people from our area have made a career out of football? I know the one from Richlands, dunno his name. Anyone else?

Most of the smaller schools around here cost more than the D-1 schools! I say if you receive an invite from any D-1 school to walk-on, and have not had many offers from anywhere else, you walk-on. (period!) It's all about taking a chance. Some guys that took that chance:

Heath Miller - Honaker(QB)- UVA(TE)-Pittsburg(TE)

Thomas Jones - Powell Valley(RB)- UVA(RB)-Chicago(RB)

Juleious Jones - Powell Valley(RB)-Notre Dame(RB)-Dallas(RB)

Mike Compton - Richlands(OL)- WVA©-NewEngland/Jacksonville(C,OL)

Tiki Barber - Cave Spring(RB)- UVA(RB)- New York(RB)

Rondey Barber - Cave Spring(DB)- UVA(DB)- Tampa Bay(DB)

Mark Witten - Elezebethton,TN(TE)- Tennessee(TE)- Dallas(TE)

I'm sure there are more that could be added to this list, and this does not even start to list the guys that are currently playing D-1. I just say if you are offered a walk-on invite from any D-1 school and have not received other offers, you take the chance! Example Grant-in-aid from E&H or Full Ride from UVA-Wise Vs. Walk-On invite from any D-1 School, you take the walk-on invite.

I think the only local who started out as a walk on who made it big is Jeff King- Pulaski- VA Tech- Carolina Panthers, correct me if I am wrong but I think he started out as a walk on

Actually Jeff King had a scholarship from the start. Browning Winn was a local TE who walked on at VT and earned a scholarship though. Cain Ringstaff has done the same at UVA. I'm not sure why but TE's and FB's who walk-on seem to have a good shot of getting a scholarship. Walk-on QB's rarely get a chance to do more than run the practice squad.

Yeah going through the same mold of FB-TE I believe that Jarrett Fergusan was a former walk on at tech who made it big, I think the reason that some FBs are able to do it is that most schools dont recruit a FB its difficult to get a read on their stats because a lot of them have no stats. But in the same way alot of recruited LBs and TBs move to full back

I know those guys did not walk on, but my point is that they took the chance of going to a D-1 school over the many offers I'm sure they got from smaller schools, and stuck it out for the long hall. I bet if you look back none of those guys had alot of playing time until their Jr. and Sr. years. I'm just saying if you get the chance, no matter if it is with a scholarship or as a walk on invite to a D-1 school you go and work hard and stay the course and more times than not it will pay off.

[ QUOTE ]

Most of the smaller schools around here cost more than the D-1 schools! I say if you receive an invite from any D-1 school to walk-on, and have not had many offers from anywhere else, you walk-on. (period!) It's all about taking a chance. Some guys that took that chance:

Heath Miller - Honaker(QB)- UVA(TE)-Pittsburg(TE)

Thomas Jones - Powell Valley(RB)- UVA(RB)-Chicago(RB)

Juleious Jones - Powell Valley(RB)-Notre Dame(RB)-Dallas(RB)

Mike Compton - Richlands(OL)- WVA©-NewEngland/Jacksonville(C,OL)

Tiki Barber - Cave Spring(RB)- UVA(RB)- New York(RB)

Rondey Barber - Cave Spring(DB)- UVA(DB)- Tampa Bay(DB)

Mark Witten - Elezebethton,TN(TE)- Tennessee(TE)- Dallas(TE)

I'm sure there are more that could be added to this list, and this does not even start to list the guys that are currently playing D-1. I just say if you are offered a walk-on invite from any D-1 school and have not received other offers, you take the chance! Example Grant-in-aid from E&H or Full Ride from UVA-Wise Vs. Walk-On invite from any D-1 School, you take the walk-on invite.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean Jason Witten.