Best district in Southwest Virginia

realtrueblue

Over the years SWD has been owned by 2 teams. (Graham and Richlands) But when the 4 teams play each other they are some of the best games played. Well I should say most of the time every now and then there is a blowout by one team. But I belive the SWD is at the top!!

If you were going by all time state titles, LPD hands down. District with the best overall quality teams would probably either be the River Ridge and most years the Three Rivers. Most competitive would have to be the Cumberland. Yeah, I know, not really any good teams in that district. But most years its pretty impossible to predict who will win that district! SWD is a good district, but probably a couple others are better.

[ QUOTE ]

1. River Ridge

2. Southwest District

the rest are about even

[/ QUOTE ]

the River Ridge has 3 teams (Salem, Hidden Valley, and Blacksburg) that would beat any team in the swd except richlands by at least 2 td's....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

1. River Ridge

2. Southwest District

the rest are about even

[/ QUOTE ]

the River Ridge has 3 teams (Salem, Hidden Valley, and Blacksburg) that would beat any team in the swd except richlands by at least 2 td's....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree parsons.the likes of salem,pulaski and blacksburg could beat any team in the swd this year and it would take a very strong swd team to even come close to beating or hanging with salem or blacksburg this year with the exception of richlands which i think would give these teams a fit but still would come up short.but i think richlands would beat pulaski by at least 2 TDs.

The best district would be the OLD SOUTH WEST DISTRICT!

Where you had 10 teams and if you got through that you were just nasty! You played 9 regular season games and had 1

non-conference opponent.

Patrick Henry

Marion

Virginia High

Grundy

Abingdon

Tazewell

Graham

Richlands

John Battle

Gate City

I think it broke up in about 1985. Gate City won the Title that year with a 8-1 SWD record, only losing to Graham 3-0 at Graham. They also lost to Sullivan North that year 7-0.

Lost in the first round of the Playoffs to Blacksburg 28-14 @ Gate City and that's when Blacksburg was VERY GOOD!

Districts now aren't near as good or strong over all.

As it stands right now.... I would have to say the LPD is the closest to the OLD SWD. And it is about to be broken up come next year.

LONESOME PINE ALL THE WAY. YOU CAN EVEN LOOK AT THE LPD WHEN IT WAS THE OLD DISTRICT 8 BEFORE MOST OF YOU WERE PROBABLY EVEN BORN. GATE CITY WAS ALSO IN THE OLD DISTRICT 8 YEARS BEFORE THEY WERE EVER IN THE SOUTHWEST. WITH ALL THAT POWELL VALLEY, APPALACHIA, GATE CITY, AND CLINTWOOD HAS EARNED WITH THEIR ESTABLISHED PROGRAMS. THE LPD HAS THIS QUESTION ANSWERED. LOOK AT THE STATE TITLES THEY HAVE BROUGHT TO THE LPD. ESPECIALLY PV (8), APPY (6), CLINTWOOD (3), AND GATE CITY (1 TITLE FOR THE LPD). JI BURTON HAS ONE (WILL MOST LIKELY GET ONE THIS YEAR), AND JJ KELLY HAS ONE. THIS DISTRICT ALSO HAS NUMEROUS REGIONAL TITLES. LONESOME PINE ALL THE WAY.

[ QUOTE ]

Where you had 10 teams and if you got through that you were just nasty! You played 9 regular season games and had 1

non-conference opponent.

Patrick Henry

Marion

Virginia High

Grundy

Abingdon

Tazewell

Graham

Richlands

John Battle

Gate City

I think it broke up in about 1985. Gate City won the Title that year with a 8-1 SWD record, only losing to Graham 3-0 at Graham. They also lost to Sullivan North that year 7-0.

Lost in the first round of the Playoffs to Blacksburg 28-14 @ Gate City and that's when Blacksburg was VERY GOOD!

As it stands right now.... I would have to say the LPD is the closest to the OLD SWD. And it is about to be broken up come next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget about Lebanon being in the SWD for a few years prior to the break-up...11 teams...

[ QUOTE ]

non-conference opponent.

Patrick Henry

Marion

Virginia High

Grundy

Abingdon

Tazewell

Graham

Richlands

John Battle

Gate City

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the SWD swelled to 11 teams (Lebanon joined beginning with the 1980 football season), which is what led directly to its breakup.

1985 was the last season for the 11-team configuration, but I don't remember who won the title. I don't think it was GC -- according to the electronic scrapbook site the Devils also lost to Virginia High that year.

Factual quibbles aside, I agree that the old SWD really was something special. Who knows? If enrollment continues to slide in the area, the old league could be put back together again.

[ QUOTE ]

I would have to give the River Ridge the nod, based on the overall quality of the district. But, I think Richlands is the best team this year out of both districts. Salem would be a very close second. HV and Blacksburg are a couple touchdowns behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

The SWD is so tough yr in and yr out.....richlands, tazewell, or graham would win any district in swva...the only problem is they have to play each other and are in the same district.....3 titans beatin each other up....everyone else just trying to get a nut

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

non-conference opponent.

Patrick Henry

Marion

Virginia High

Grundy

Abingdon

Tazewell

Graham

Richlands

John Battle

Gate City

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget about Lebanon being in the SWD for a few years prior to the break-up...11 teams...

[/ QUOTE ]

AH YES! LEBANON!!

[ QUOTE ]

richlands would beat any team u put up....salem wouldnt even be a contest..ive seen them play...they couldnt last long enoug to play with richlands...rchlands can score to quick for them to hang...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's barely possible that Salem's defense might be a tad bit better than the defenses that Richlands has been playing against.

Of course, there's no way to know for sure, which is what makes this kind of discussion so much fun.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

non-conference opponent.

Patrick Henry

Marion

Virginia High

Grundy

Abingdon

Tazewell

Graham

Richlands

John Battle

Gate City

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the SWD swelled to 11 teams (Lebanon joined beginning with the 1980 football season), which is what led directly to its breakup.

1985 was the last season for the 11-team configuration, but I don't remember who won the title. I don't think it was GC -- according to the electronic scrapbook site the Devils also lost to Virginia High that year.

Factual quibbles aside, I agree that the old SWD really was something special. Who knows? If enrollment continues to slide in the area, the old league could be put back together again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gate City did win it in 1985 and didn't lose to Va High they beat Va High 2-0! haha

http://scott.k12.va.us/gchsfootball/yearpages/1985.htm