Wisconsin wants there helmets back! (weir) lol

bluefieldRocks

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/index.php?ntid=106337&ntpid=3

Lampert Smith: Wisconsin wants W abusers whacked

SUSAN LAMPERT SMITH

Contact Susan Lampert Smith at ssmith@madison.com or 252-6121.

Wisconsin's war on those wascally wobbers who are making off with Wisconsin's "motion W" has expanded far beyond that wily corn growing state to our west.

Since we last reported on UW-Madison sending a warning to the Waukee School District in Iowa, reminding Waukee that Wisconsin holds the trademark on that style of W, the list of schools that may be violating the "W" trademark has grown to about two dozen.

As a result, Cindy Van Matre, the university's head of licensing, has to play Elmer Fudd, chasing down dat wascally wabbit.

And where are these W reports coming from? Turns out that after the Waukee whoop- de-doo, schools are watting each other out, wight and weft.

It's easy!

Post your views or read others' opinions

"There was even a school where the students turned themselves in," she said. "They had taken a legal class."

In another case, a father turned in his kids' school. "He said he had always felt funny about them using our W," Van Matre said.

I promise I'll quit with the W thing. It's just that I have Ws on the brain after surveying a list from the greatest Elmer Fudd of them all, angry W-hunter Mike Hughes.

So what's up, doc? Err, Mike?

It turns out that Hughes, a Madison native who now lives in Waukee, is still mad that his hometown university is going after his current high school on this issue. He's tracked down bootleg motion Ws from at least 10 schools and reported them to UW-Madison.

"It is only fair, if copyright is to be applied, then it must not be selective," says Hughes, who plans to wear his purple Waukee motion W to the next Badger home football game in protest.

Hughes' list includes The Woodlands (Texas) High School; Lakota West High in West Chester, Ohio; Cherry Hill (N.J.) West High; Waynesboro (Pa.) Area High; Weston (Conn.) High; Westside High in Clear Fork, W.Va.; Wier High in Weirton, W.Va.; and Westfield (W.Va.) High.

And, of course, there is also Weston High School here in Wisconsin, where, one imagines, the administration has more important things to worry about following the shooting death of the school's principal in September.

Hughes isn't going to quit until he finds every W thief, predicting, "there are more out there." He's hoping to overwhelm the university, thereby wangling a policy change.

That won't happen.

Instead, Van Matre says she'll have to write letters to all those schools, informing them that Wisconsin holds the trademark. She said the letter will likely sound friendlier than the legal one Waukee got from the Collegiate Licensing Co.

But she has no choice, because if the university doesn't aggressively defend the trademark against use by the little guys, it won't have legal standing if one of the big manufacturers makes off with our W.

I understand that, but taking on the high schools is turning Wisconsin into a public relations whipping boy.

I wonder if they should declare a W day at Camp Randall? Students representing the offenders could sit in a special section. At halftime, a caricature of Elmer Fudd could round them up and bring them to mid-field, where they'd turn over the illegal W-wear to Bucky Badger.

Would that end the war between the Ws?

Ridiculously stupid. How is that harming Wisconsin by having high school teams around the country use their W? Oh, that's right. I'm sure they want that $200 a year those boosters make by selling sweatshirts and hats with the logo on it.

[ QUOTE ]

I can remember one time that girlie topless place up on cumberland road had a picture of a beaver on their sign. Me and my trusty paper staff went right up there and told them to take that sign down. None of them girls had flat tails or buck teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe fat tails and "summer" teeth...

i dont c the big deal...Tazewell uses the Tennessee T...and im pretty sure Abingdon uses the Akron A but not positive...and im sure there is more...just cant remember right off the top of my head