Bluefield vs. Bluefield

bluefieldRocks

Carroll vs Martinsville  

1. 1. Carroll vs Martinsville

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the teams from the 1960s? The 1959 team? The 1975 team? The 1984 team? In my option, and as much as I loved the heart and determination of the 2004, the 1997 team was just on another level. The 1997 team was in reality a small college team. They were big, strong, fast, and nasty. Again, another level. This region hasn't seen a high school team on that level since, in either state.

They were really close though, bluefield's '04 team has something like 10 players go to college to play football, a lot of talent on each team and different philosopies and styles that would have made the games interesting. The '97 team had the stronger d for certain, perhaps 1 of bluefield's strongest, but the '04 team really had a high powered o with the balance of being able to pass and using so many weapons. Each team was very physical and overall didn't make mistakes. The '04 team had more game experience than any bluefield team I recall.

That said, in my opinion the '96 team and the '92 teams were likely stronger and physically more imposing than either, with slightly less experience overall and they were more mistake prone.

It's hard for me to put older school bluefield football teams against more recent aa teams though, those were some very talented teams as well.

At times before in my mind I've considered a bluefield all star team, 1st and 2nd team, but I don't know the linemen enough to really complete those teams, but I'll post more on that after while.

97 all the way!! For the "old timers", I believe the better discussion/comparison would be the 85 vs. 97 team that would have been a great game - not sure the 50's 60's & 70's.. sure they were talented teams. however, the 97 defense would be too much for 85..... C.T. would have ran up 21pts alone on the 04 team, the D would have contained to 1 (JV) ttouchdown. it would be a blow out. IMO

[ QUOTE ]

the 1997 team was just on another level. The 1997 team was in reality a small college team. They were big, strong, fast, and nasty. Again, another level. This region hasn't seen a high school team on that level since, in either state.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess these kind of statements are why i hate these kind of polls.....everyone thinks that the team they were on or were closest to was the best team ever to play...i'm sure you will say that the 97 team would crush 86 tazewell, 89 graham, 92 richlands, 95 graham, or 2006 richlands...

[ QUOTE ]

apparently, they were only 4 points better than 97 graham...must have had an off day

[/ QUOTE ]

The '97 Graham team was good...lost three games...one to Bluefield and two to Gate City. BTW, Bluefield and Gate City both won State Championships that year...

Actually whay are you even discussing graham. You start this crap yourself. I do believe the subject is bluefield. You must be jealous of the talented teams we produce!

[ QUOTE ]

Actually whay are you even discussing graham. You start this crap yourself. I do believe the subject is bluefield. You must be jealous of the talented teams we produce!

[/ QUOTE ]

i responded to this thread because bluefieldrules said that there had not been any teams, in either state, comparable to that 97 team.......

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i responded to this thread because bluefieldrules said that there had not been any teams, in either state, comparable to that 97 team.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, SINCE 1997 there hasn't been.

I don't know br, graham's '01 team was really strong as well, and bluefield's '04 team just played lights out football most of the time. Talent and physically, in my opinion there really wasn't a difference between bluefield's '03 and '04 teams, but the '04 team had the returning foundation and had the experience the '03 team lacked. And of course the '03 team was 2 close games away from being 14 - 0, they proved the defeat to oak hill was a fluke by defeated them by 50 some points in the playoffs, and we all know the mess the field was in wheeling in the title game, that was an overtime game anyhow.

It's all speculation and in fun though.

There is no doubt that the 2001 Graham and 2004 Bluefield teams were top notch. However, the 1997 Bluefield team had everything from size and strength to speed and quickness. When you can start the likes of Rick Disibbio and Shawn Dews at LB and Charlie Tynes and Donald Amaker in the secondary then you know you have plenty of size. In my opinion, the sheer size and quickness of that size is what sets the '97 Beavers above all others since. And offensively, Amaker wasn't even the #1 option in the backfield, that honor belonged to Tynes. I like the quote from one of the Charleston area papers, which author stated that he felt Bluefield was a small college team and could have probably won the WVIAC that year. Many around the state felt that the AAA champion, North Marion, couldn't have stayed within two touchdowns of Bluefield that year.

[ QUOTE ]

I like the quote from one of the Charleston area papers, which author stated that he felt Bluefield was a small college team and could have probably won the WVIAC that year.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, in 97 graham almost beat a small college team........

Almost............a common word in your vocabulary

Furhtermore, if there was a team that came close to winning that year it was Richlands. 21-20... I think becuase it was Halloween night!! haha

[ QUOTE ]

Almost............a common word in your vocabulary

Furhtermore, if there was a team that came close to winning that year it was Richlands. 21-20... I think becuase it was Halloween night!! haha

[/ QUOTE ]

so 97 bluefield beat graham by 4 and richlands by one, and yet they are the best team out of this area since 1997.......interesting......