bluefieldRocks

Carroll vs Martinsville  

1. 1. Carroll vs Martinsville

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I'd put the 1997 team up against any team Richlands has fielded in their entire history and feel pretty confident on on the outcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet you would, but apparently in 1997 winning the swd was a harder task than winning a wv state title.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I'd put the 1997 team up against any team Richlands has fielded in their entire history and feel pretty confident on on the outcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet you would, but apparently in 1997 winning the swd was a harder task than winning a wv state title.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yeah ok

[ QUOTE ]

He's bitter over the Beavers. He got ran over by them in his high school days! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not bitter....i don't even dislike bluefield and i have a great respect for their tradition.......i just don't think that there is enough evidence to say that the 97 bluefield team is the best the area has seen since 1997...

[ QUOTE ]

They were really close though, bluefield's '04 team has something like 10 players go to college to play football, a lot of talent on each team and different philosopies and styles that would have made the games interesting. The '97 team had the stronger d for certain, perhaps 1 of bluefield's strongest, but the '04 team really had a high powered o with the balance of being able to pass and using so many weapons. Each team was very physical and overall didn't make mistakes. The '04 team had more game experience than any bluefield team I recall.

That said, in my opinion the '96 team and the '92 teams were likely stronger and physically more imposing than either, with slightly less experience overall and they were more mistake prone.

It's hard for me to put older school bluefield football teams against more recent aa teams though, those were some very talented teams as well.

At times before in my mind I've considered a bluefield all star team, 1st and 2nd team, but I don't know the linemen enough to really complete those teams, but I'll post more on that after while.

[/ QUOTE ]name two ppl playing college ball beside daniel rusty and lucas

no, i did not...but i do know they just barely scraped by both richlands and graham.....i didn't proclaim this year's richlands team to be the area's best of the last decade even though they didn't have any teams on this end of the state play within 16 points of them all year....you tell me why 97 bluefield is better....

Guest JJBrickface

Didn't the 97 team beat Weir who had Quincy "Brandon Merriweather is my Bitch" Wilson?

presently from that team I couldn't tell you, but at the time, if I recall 3 started out at charleston u or whatever it is, steptoe and tj morris that I recall of the 3, maybe each of the steptoes, not certain, then purdue supposedly went somewhere smaller, somewhere like emory and henry maybe. Those are the players aside from the 3 you listed that I recall myself.

actually '97 was the game tainted by flags by the refs at richlands. A lot of bluefield fans for some reason think that was '99 but it was '97, that made the game as close as it was. Graham and bluefield are simply close games in most any season unless the 2 teams are really unequal and '97's graham team was a formidable team as mentioned.

http://www.ucwv.edu/athletics/sports/football_news/new_football_recruits.aspx

Tandy Asbury W.Va. Winfield QB/DE 6-5 225

Heath Ashford W.Va. Huntington TE/DE 6-0 215

John Beamer Va. Fork Union PK 5-11 175

Joshua Branch W.Va. Wahama RB/DB 5-9 180

Vince Brown Ohio Winton Woods RB/FS 5-10 185

Seth Butler W.Va. Hargrave Military Academy OT 6-8 315

Jared Cirotto Ohio Millersport P Not Available Not Available

Chris DeMaria W.Va. Woodrow Wilson WR 5-11 175

Dustin Eary W.Va. Sissonville OL/NG 6-1 256

Jamal Ferguson Ohio Winton Woods QB 5-9 175

Matt Franklin W.Va. Oak Hill OT/DT 6-4 275

Corey Greene W.Va. Mann LB 5-10 185

Derrick Hallback Fla. Plant City TB 5-11 185

Eugene Hoston W.Va. Pikeview TE/DE 6-1 220

Patrick Kouns Ohio Ironton TE (OL) 6-3 235

Chris Levy Fla. Armwood OC 5-11 265

T.J. Morris W.Va. Bluefield FB/DE 6-0 185

Vince Palmer Ohio Anderson QB 5-11 185

Cody Perry W.Va. Chapmanville OC 6-0 230

Scott Ransom W.Va. Hurricane WR 6-4 190

Nathaniel Smith W.Va. Man Not Available Not Available Not Available

Derrick Steptoe W.Va. Bluefield FB/DE 5-10 190

Quintin Steptoe W.Va. Bluefield RB/CB 6-0 190

Trevor Washborn W.Va. Huntington OG/DT 6-2 310

Mike Zeis Ohio Anderson WR 6-2 185

Chad Zerkle W.Va. Wahama QB/FS 6-0 175

[ QUOTE ]

no, i did not...but i do know they just barely scraped by both richlands and graham.....i didn't proclaim this year's richlands team to be the area's best of the last decade even though they didn't have any teams on this end of the state play within 16 points of them all year....you tell me why 97 bluefield is better....

[/ QUOTE ]

to be honest parsons its kinda hard to explain cause ppl have been tryin to explain to u but i believe if u actually saw them in action u would understand... and u cant say they arent worthy of such praise cause they barly bet someone.. just think about it im sure even the undefeated dolphin team had some close games too.. im tellin u they were a sight in 97 im talkin bout big lineman at linebacker running faster 40's then your typical starting runningback

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.ucwv.edu/athletics/sports/football_news/new_football_recruits.aspx

Tandy Asbury W.Va. Winfield QB/DE 6-5 225

Heath Ashford W.Va. Huntington TE/DE 6-0 215

John Beamer Va. Fork Union PK 5-11 175

Joshua Branch W.Va. Wahama RB/DB 5-9 180

Vince Brown Ohio Winton Woods RB/FS 5-10 185

Seth Butler W.Va. Hargrave Military Academy OT 6-8 315

Jared Cirotto Ohio Millersport P Not Available Not Available

Chris DeMaria W.Va. Woodrow Wilson WR 5-11 175

Dustin Eary W.Va. Sissonville OL/NG 6-1 256

Jamal Ferguson Ohio Winton Woods QB 5-9 175

Matt Franklin W.Va. Oak Hill OT/DT 6-4 275

Corey Greene W.Va. Mann LB 5-10 185

Derrick Hallback Fla. Plant City TB 5-11 185

Eugene Hoston W.Va. Pikeview TE/DE 6-1 220

Patrick Kouns Ohio Ironton TE (OL) 6-3 235

Chris Levy Fla. Armwood OC 5-11 265

T.J. Morris W.Va. Bluefield FB/DE 6-0 185

Vince Palmer Ohio Anderson QB 5-11 185

Cody Perry W.Va. Chapmanville OC 6-0 230

Scott Ransom W.Va. Hurricane WR 6-4 190

Nathaniel Smith W.Va. Man Not Available Not Available Not Available

Derrick Steptoe W.Va. Bluefield FB/DE 5-10 190

Quintin Steptoe W.Va. Bluefield RB/CB 6-0 190

Trevor Washborn W.Va. Huntington OG/DT 6-2 310

Mike Zeis Ohio Anderson WR 6-2 185

Chad Zerkle W.Va. Wahama QB/FS 6-0 175

[/ QUOTE ]buzzsaw i hate to tell u this but all three have been living in bluefield since this was posted morris even worked at a gas station on cumberland

[ QUOTE ]

the 1997 team was just on another level. The 1997 team was in reality a small college team. They were big, strong, fast, and nasty. Again, another level. This region hasn't seen a high school team on that level since, in either state.

[/ QUOTE ]

my point is this....if i had made a similar post, inserting 2006 richlands instead of bluefield, i would have received all kinds of flack from bluefield fans...

i do not know for sure who the best team in the last decade was for certain.....nobody does.....but i can make every bit as good an argument for the 2006 richlands team as you guys can make for the 97 bluefield team

excuss me buzzsaw i didn't see ure previous post but u are correct about the kids...but back on subject if 04 played 97 04 size would definatly hinder them think of the seirs boys trying to block eric krauss or the gates kid and who from the 04 team would have tackled tynes when tynes at one point in the graham game carried almost half the team on his back picking up extra yardage and just who who i say would not have messed there self when they seen dews or dissibio coming through the hole full throtle... see the thing is ppl the 04 team was good take anything away from them but all u long time high school football fans from this area has noticed what i notice every year...they get smaller and smaller and smaller.... i remeber when u went to a game expecting your home team and there opponet to both look as big as at least a small college.

ok i see what u are saying parsons and just cause i like the beavers please don't think this is why i say this.... i saw 97 bluefield and i saw 06 richlands and friend that game would have been a shalackin hell 06 richlands probably wouldn't beat 06 bluefield.. at least they didn't in two quarters.

now that's funny right there.....you ignore the fact that 2006 richlands did not play bluefield in the regular season.....a richlands team missing 7 starters scrimmaged bluefield and more than held their own...in 97, a blues team much inferior to this one, came within 2 points of beating bluefield

i guess you forget that the blues, when healthy, twice thumped a graham team that beat bluefield by 20

I just joined in on this...but after watching the 97' team play a few games...I honestly dont think richlands of this past years team, or the 92' team i beleive it was when they last won could have gotten within 2 touchdowns of bluefield in 97'

if you say so footballman, as I wrote though I didn't know what their actual status was, but at the time they had opportunity to play football on scholarship, as did 7 other players from that team I recall counting, but maybe wells wasn't actually on scholarship, anyhow they were good enough to have had the opportunity to do so then at least and that says a lot. It's unfortunate they didn't use that opportunity in some ways, but then who's to really say who should do what with their lives to benefit themselves, as it's a matter of it being as long as the are satisfied though. That's enough in my opinion.

Overall there's been lots of exceptional football teams in the area with different uniforms, even princeton who might be overlooked when considering strong teams of the past has had a heck of a strong football team, in '01 or 02 maybe it was, when albin was a senior. The mav's '99 was something else as well. Gate city, powell valley, salem,,, the list goes on.

[ QUOTE ]

I just joined in on this...but after watching the 97' team play a few games...I honestly dont think richlands of this past years team, or the 92' team i beleive it was when they last won could have gotten within 2 touchdowns of bluefield in 97'

[/ QUOTE ]

ok..you say richlands's 2 state championship teams couldn't play within 2 touchdowns of the the 97 bluefield team, and yet a richlands team that didn't even win the region only lost to that bluefield team by 1....and a graham team that also didn't win the region lost to bluefield by 4.....obviously, you guys aren't the most objective judges...