Logan 63 Magnolia 49 Final and thoughts on Coach Gilliard

bluefieldRocks

Guest JJBrickface

Its not about being loyal to Coach Gilliard, its just about sticking up for him when others seems to have something personal against him. All Bluefield had to do to win was rebound and make a few more shots. People are always saying Gaither would have won this and been amazing. I love Gaither, I grew up while he was the coach but he didn't do anything to blow me away. He had his two state titles which was wonderful for the city of Bluefield but then after that it was nothing. Actually like 7 years without a title. So my question to you is: Did Danny Gaither press the whole game? and if so how come we didn't win more state championships.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Its not about being loyal to Coach Gilliard, its just about sticking up for him when others seems to have something personal against him. All Bluefield had to do to win was rebound and make a few more shots. People are always saying Gaither would have won this and been amazing. I love Gaither, I grew up while he was the coach but he didn't do anything to blow me away. He had his two state titles which was wonderful for the city of Bluefield but then after that it was nothing. Actually like 7 years without a title. So my question to you is: Did Danny Gaither press the whole game? and if so how come we didn't win more state championships.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I've said many times before, its nothing personal...he just can't coach worth a crap...

At least when Gaither had the talent...he brought home the trophy...

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I've said many times before, its nothing personal...he just can't coach worth a crap...

At least when Gaither had the talent...he brought home the trophy...

[/ QUOTE ]

So in Gaither's whole career he only had two talented teams???

Guest BEAVERTAIL

who cares about gaither... AA was a whole different beast back then. Regardless, Ernie Gilliard refused to press at all during the game on thursday, for no apparent reason. PLease explain JJ why he didn't press... I would love to hear this...

Gillard has had talented teams since he has been at bluefield high.

But do you honestly think one of bluefield highs admins will walk up to him and say "You know Ernie, you made it to the state championship game last season, and have made it upstate every season you've been here, but we have to let you go"

Guest BEAVERTAIL

They cannot fire him. It has to be the school board for something illegal or something that he did. For all i care let him stay at BLuefield High School, the teams he has had in the past were not hard to coach, they simply needed to run, and that's not what they did because he woldn't allo them to. All he has to do is let them run and he will gain respect. Even from me.

[ QUOTE ]

Gillard has had talented teams since he has been at bluefield high.

But do you honestly think one of bluefield highs admins will walk up to him and say "You know Ernie, you made it to the state championship game last season, and have made it upstate every season you've been here, but we have to let you go"

[/ QUOTE ]

No one on this board has ever questioned Ernie Gilliard and the type of person he is off the court... only what he does as a basketball coach.

As for the administration's point of view, I very seriously doubt that they will say or do anything to Gilliard because they are content with competing in the state tournament. But I bet anything that if you ask the players they are not satisfied with just "getting there." Ask the seniors like Dexter Moore, Kyle Hammond, Chance Cottrell, and any other senior who has played for Bluefield if they are content with just getting to the state tournament.

It is amazing that whenever Bluefield gets into the state tournament and no matter what "smart" strategy Gilliard decides to go with, they are always very much still in the game. If that does not tell you the kind of athletes Bluefield has, then I don't know what does.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

who cares about gaither... AA was a whole different beast back then. Regardless, Ernie Gilliard refused to press at all during the game on thursday, for no apparent reason. PLease explain JJ why he didn't press... I would love to hear this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you have not read this thread through. The one thing that I have been trying to say is that I loved Gaither as a coach. Others on here are calling Gilliard horrible when aside from Gaithers two titles in 95 and 96 they are even. Gaither certainly had some incredible teams that could have beaten this years team and they didn't win a state title.

Guest JJBrickface

I'm not throwing it aside, but to hear some people on here talk Bluefield had a dynasty when he was here.

Actually though gaither had some teams advance to the title game that were lesser talented, but played good basketball. the '97 team that was defeated in a close game to poca in the title game for example, wasn't a really talented backetball team by some of bluefield's basetball standards, yubrenal isabell for example a key player on that team, athletic, but hardly someone I'd consider a basketball player 1st the likes of many athletes bluefield's had in other seasons on the court. '99s runner up team was very respectable and did well, but wasn't the likes of '95 or '96's teams either. There were some lean seasons talent wise as there will be for any program.

In my opinion though the bigger point is if bluefield can't earn the title with the team they had in '07, when will they? When will bluefield have another 3 star recruit and that much experience. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that bluefield will have fast athletic teams, it's expected, but this caliber, not common at all in my opinion?

My thoughts are simple, if I'm a coach and speed is our team's srength, then in every game the game is going to be all about speed, speed, speed and more speed until God himself shows up in the form of a burning chair on the sidelines and says, "enough of the speed, slow it down some". I can't possibly think of a reason any coach would ever think that using your strength to your full advantage isn't the best option. It defies logic really.

Guest JJBrickface

What makes you think this team was so great?? Yes they had a 3 star player and a few seniors. They also had no depth and a few players who are very raw. Their also is not a good big man on this team. If we were Huntington High with OJ Mayo, Chris Early, and Patrick Patterson then I could understand what you are saying, but dang you have to look at this. BTW in 1997 Bluefield lost to Poca by 17, not exactly a very close game.

Guest JJBrickface

Ernie Gilliard refused to press at all during the game on thursday, for no apparent reason. PLease explain JJ why he didn't press... I would love to hear this...

Beavertail, I was not at the game however I just did watch the highlights of the game and it appears that after two of the made baskets Bluefield set up in a press. They may not have done it the whole game but it did appear that did after those two shots.

[ QUOTE ]

What makes you think this team was so great?? Yes they had a 3 star player and a few seniors. They also had no depth and a few players who are very raw. Their also is not a good big man on this team.

[/ QUOTE ]

This years team was one of the best Bluefield basketball teams since the 95 and 96 teams.

Dexter Moore - 3 star recruit... everyone knows what he can do..

Kyle Hammond - played along with Dexter in AAU ball throughout the summer all over the country (Hammond only took a position in which Patterson and Early left when they went to a more elite team.) One of the most complete players in AA and maybe in the state.

Ansel Ponder - Extremely atheletic, one of the most athletic in the state. Excellent footwork and knew how to play down low. He is probably the highest jumper since the 95 and 96 teams. An excellent defender down low and blocked many shots this year on defense.

Shaun Brooks - is just a freak athlete. Not very sound fundamentally, but played like a Yubrenelle Isabelle and did what needed to be done.

Chance Cottrell - one of the best role players to come through Bluefield High in a long time. He knew how to use his BIG BODY to box out and get rebounds.

Justin Harris stepped in as a first year player and did an excellent job shooting the basketball.

Turquan Casey came in every now and then and got some good minutes by playing tough defense.

Freshman Craig Ponder came in and stole some minutes and did a very good job taking care of the basketball whenever Dexter needed a break.

To say that this team wasn't deep is not far fetched, but this was by far the best and most complete basketball team that Gilliard has had in his tenure at BHS. This team had the possibility to be the best next to the 1995 and 1996 teams if "the cookie crumbled that way.."

Guest JJBrickface

I agree in that this team could be the best that Gilliard has had since he has been here but I don't think it was as good as the 95 and 96 or even the 1999 team for that fact. The 2003 team could also beat them.

[ QUOTE ]

I agree in that this team could be the best that Gilliard has had since he has been here but I don't think it was as good as the 95 and 96 or even the 1999 team for that fact. The 2003 team could also beat them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that they are better than the 1995 and 1996 but i do think they are better than the 1999 and the 2003 team definitely.

But you have your opinion, and I have mine...

Guest JJBrickface

I don't remember every player on the 99 team but I do remember Patterson who walked on at WVU for a year and Jamal Crenshaw who could have played college basketball. Both of them could jump out of the gym and dominate. They also had Justin King who was a freshman but who tore it up. They were #1 throughout the year and lost in Charleston. The 2003 team was very solid with Ronnie Walton at the point, Chris Hairston, and Brian Johnson. They were also #1 throughout most of the year and absolutely dominated some teams, they just lacked the heart.

Bluefield was ahead of poca after 2 quarters in that title game and it was close until poca pulled away late in the game, bluefield simply didn't have much depth and was an overachieving team overall. I agree with what hokie writes much, this team wasn't as strong as their '95 or '96 teams, but was most likely the most talented team since.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Ernie Gilliard refused to press at all during the game on thursday, for no apparent reason. PLease explain JJ why he didn't press... I would love to hear this...

Beavertail, I was not at the game however I just did watch the highlights of the game and it appears that after two of the made baskets Bluefield set up in a press. They may not have done it the whole game but it did appear that did after those two shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there... they did not press until the last 2 minutes. Please explain the reasoning behind that.

There is no way in the world anyone could compare this team and say that they are even anywhere close to competing with the '95 and '96 teams. Dexter and maybe and I repeat maybe ansel could have played on those teams. No one else on tis years team would have even made the team for either of those years. If you look at the players and the positions there is no way to even argue that. Look at '95 1) Gaither 2) Ellison 3) Wells 4) Holland 5) Martin 6) Parker 7) C. Pannell 8) Isabelle '96 Team Gaither, Panell, Martin, Wright, Isabelle ...Etc Can you say LOADED?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you have not read this thread through. The one thing that I have been trying to say is that I loved Gaither as a coach. Others on here are calling Gilliard horrible when aside from Gaithers two titles in 95 and 96 they are even. Gaither certainly had some incredible teams that could have beaten this years team and they didn't win a state title.

[/ QUOTE ]

You still haven't explained why he didn't press. Quit bringing Gaither in to the equation. He didn't ruin Bluefield High Schools chance to win a state title the last four years.

[ QUOTE ]

Actually though gaither had some teams advance to the title game that were lesser talented, but played good basketball. the '97 team that was defeated in a close game to poca in the title game for example, wasn't a really talented backetball team by some of bluefield's basetball standards, yubrenal isabell for example a key player on that team, athletic, but hardly someone I'd consider a basketball player 1st the likes of many athletes bluefield's had in other seasons on the court. '99s runner up team was very respectable and did well, but wasn't the likes of '95 or '96's teams either. There were some lean seasons talent wise as there will be for any program.

In my opinion though the bigger point is if bluefield can't earn the title with the team they had in '07, when will they? When will bluefield have another 3 star recruit and that much experience. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that bluefield will have fast athletic teams, it's expected, but this caliber, not common at all in my opinion?

My thoughts are simple, if I'm a coach and speed is our team's srength, then in every game the game is going to be all about speed, speed, speed and more speed until God himself shows up in the form of a burning chair on the sidelines and says, "enough of the speed, slow it down some". I can't possibly think of a reason any coach would ever think that using your strength to your full advantage isn't the best option. It defies logic really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hammer, meet nail!!!

You dont have to have a loaded team to win the state championship. Ask wyoming East, who really only depended on 1 player. Justin Caldwell. Yes, ofcourse other players on teh W.E. team will have points,rebounds, and such. But caldwell is really the only player on there team with any true talent. That cannot be said for bluefield. 1. Dexter Moore who is a 3-star recruit, Ansel Ponder who in my opinion could play D-1 basketball. Kyle Hammond could also go to a small d-1 college. The list goes on and on. so you naming the athletes of the 96 team does nothing. Because as you can see. 8 athletes can win a state title. 1 Athlete did win a state title for Wyoming East

LOL!!!!! D1 at what positions? At 6'3 175 pounds Ponder would get killed in the post. He's not even dominating high school basketball. He would have to play the 2 or the 3 in college and I don't see that happening due to the positions he playing now. He has to be able to shoot the 3 and have a mid range game. Hammond does have decent size and skills to maybe play the 2 or 3 but no where close to D1. He would be fortunate to play at BSC or even BC. Better take the first offer that comes.