Logan 63 Magnolia 49 Final and thoughts on Coach Gilliard

bluefieldRocks

Ponder is starting to get some looks from D-1 football schools as a receiver. WVU, Marshall, Maryland among others are starting to express interest. The kid could be something special at receiver b/c of his size and athletic ability. He needs to be put on the right type of strength/weight program. However, a redshirt year to concenstrate on the weight room and adding weight would do wonders for him.

Basketball-wise in order to play any level of D-1 Ponder will have to develop a consistent outside shot and some very ball-handling abilities b/c at 6'3" the only position he'd be suitable to play would be at one of the guard slots. Even if he added weight, at 6'3" he would struggle big-time in the post at the D-1 level.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You dont have to have a loaded team to win the state championship. Ask wyoming East, who really only depended on 1 player. Justin Caldwell. Yes, ofcourse other players on teh W.E. team will have points,rebounds, and such. But caldwell is really the only player on there team with any true talent. That cannot be said for bluefield. 1. Dexter Moore who is a 3-star recruit, Ansel Ponder who in my opinion could play D-1 basketball. Kyle Hammond could also go to a small d-1 college. The list goes on and on. so you naming the athletes of the 96 team does nothing. Because as you can see. 8 athletes can win a state title. 1 Athlete did win a state title for Wyoming East"

But with all due respect you're making our point and not considering the obvious, if bluefield can't do it with 8 athletes, they certainly aren't going to accomplish it with 1 or a few.

But, we're going around and around, all of us to some degree. that said, as talented as '95 and '96 teams were, I disagree that some of the '07 layers wouldn't have played on those teams, they would have been equal to some of the other contributers and would have made those teams deeper.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Hammond has a lot of offers from many schools not in this area such Bridgewater, MArietta, schools like that in ohio and virginia, not to mention Chance Cottrell already signed with a NAIA school... The reason why these kids get offers from schools is cause of AAu where their coaches know how to play them and get the most out of them, unlike the curent situation at Bluefield High.

when your coach tells certain players if they shoot he will take them out of the game,gives them a mid-night lights out, forgets to coach and more than likely stayed out all night himself on the party scene you will lose the real coach of the beavers is webster if he ever leaves say goodbye to the beavers!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

That's not Division 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this. It takes a high quality athlete to get a D-1 ride. But someone said hammond was BSC and BC at best, i was merely informing him that many schools are looking at kyle.

The problem with having a player that is 6'3" to 6'6"at a small high school is that he will be used as a center or power foward because he is probably the tallest or biggest guy on the team which hurts his ability to work on ball handling and other guard skills.

I know that you try to do what is best for the team but if you have a player that may be able to play at the next level then your job as a coach is to do whatever it takes to get that player ready. At 6'3 you need to take that player and try to make him the best all around player that he can be and not just stick him in the post. The best example that I can come up with and I know people will agree with this is the Patterson kid that played at Bluefield about 4 years ago. He played guard all his life until he got to BHS. His Soph. year he grew a few inches and could jump out of the gym and what did they do with him? They put him at the 4 where he stayed for 3 years and it hurt his chances in the long run. He had a Div 1 Guard frame and could have been polished into a really good guard but that never happened.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

wow... didn't know that. thanks bluefieldPT. glad to see kyle is getting some D1 offers...

Coach Gillard should do himself a favor and resign. He has wasted enough talented teams at Bluefield and he should return to Princeton where his coaching skills match the level of talent. Give Tony Webster or Willie Ellison a shot at the position because they're from Bluefield, have a passion for the game, and know how true Bluefield basketball should be played.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

not possible. you cannot offer a head coaching job, you have to be picked by the board or something after sumbitting your name. Then i think it goes to who has more years coaching. Also Gilliard is a teacher, which allows him to get the job over any non teacher in mercer county schools, even dean smith. lol Not sure if Tony Webster is in the school system. but i suggest Tony Mallamachi, he was under gaither for awhile, and im pretty sure he is in the school system.