Logan 63 Magnolia 49 Final and thoughts on Coach Gilliard

bluefieldRocks

[ QUOTE ]

Its hard to set up the press if you aren't scoring.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the "Guide To Coaching Basketball"...

When to use pressure:

1. When you want to surprise a team and upset their composure. Force bad passes, cause traveling, or fumbling the ball.

2. When facing bigger opponents who are slower and feature possession offensive style of play.

3. When behind in the score, late in the game.

As I said...it ain't rocket science...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

It was our players to didnt do there part of the deal. Which is to make baskets and foul shots

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the coach's job to do what is right for the team and make the right decisions with gameplans. Every player from Bluefield had the definite athleticism edge over the Magnolia player.

And this is not in any way a low blow to Magnolia... their coach realized that they weren't as athletic as Bluefield and he MADE ADJUSTMENTS, which is a strong sign of being a good coach.

I'm not going to get into this heavily because people know where I stand. I just wanted to share some comments I received in exchanging emails with an old friend. These are the comments from someone that was at the game as a netural observer and has seen Bluefield play many times in Charleston. This person is in the media and not from this area:

Bluefield was one of the most naturally talented teams in any class, but also one worst coached teams in any class. The talk in the media room for most of Thursday night and into Friday morning was centered on the poor coaching job the Bluefield kids received from their coach. A media member from the Huntington area said that, "Bluefield's coach reminded him of an ostrich b/c he coaches with his head buried in sand. He makes absolutely no adjustments, if his gameplan doesn't work his team is in trouble. He's clueless on the bench on how to make adjustments."

Everyone recalled that under Danny Gaither Bluefield was always so well prepared for their opponents. They recalled how Bluefield always took advantage of their strengths and exploited the opponent's weaknesses. If you were to beat Bluefield you had to beat Bluefield b/c they didn't beat themselves and their coach made the necessary adjustments as the game progressed. The thought by the majority of those I talked with in the media was that talent-wise Bluefield was at least 10 points better than anyone else in AA including Wyoming East. And that if they had even the slighest in-game coaching they'd would have cruised to the state title.

Guest JJBrickface

Yeah we all know that the MEDIA is so smart. My question is who cares what the media thinks? Danny Gaither's teams were sooo prepared. I guess thats why after the two titles he went 7 years without winning one. Its plain and simple, we didn't hit out shots, we didn't rebound, Magnolia made their free throws and we missed some big ones. They were the better team on that day.

Guest JJBrickface

That's what I have been trying to say, despite getting killed on the boards and not making out shots we only lost by 3.

[ QUOTE ]

If Bluefield High School is content with winning the section and region and every year (a VERY weak section and region might I add), only to make a quick exit in Charleston, then Coach Gilliard is the man for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

and that's what it amounts to, common to the underachieving of bluefield football...

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Its hard to set up the press if you aren't scoring.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Press" is short for "PRESSURE"...doesn't have to be full court. Ever heard of a half court trap??? That is a great "PRESSURE" defense to run against a team that is trying to "slow it down"...it "PRESSURES" that team into doing something they don't want to do, which in turn will likely create turnovers, which lead to easy transition scores...it ain't rocket science...

Here's a link that may come in handy...

http://guidetocoachingbasketball.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that the half court press or trap that you are talking about has absolutely backfired on teams in the NCAA tourney. I have seen more than a few games where teams have used and it allowed wide open shots for the other team, in particular the UCLA Indiana game that is on now. UCLA tried to use the trap and it lead to 2 huge threes by Indiana that got them back in the game.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

This is not the NCAA tourney. It's high school. By not pressing Ernie Gilliard kills his team because of he does not let the athletes play. Plain and simple. I don't care who you are and how loyal you are to Coach Gilliard, but you have to wonder why he doesn't press. Blame it on whatever you want, but it comes down to that. Why don't we press? Anyone out there who can honestly say that when Bluefield pressed it "backfired" please speak up. You can say it's lack of shooting, but getting easy baskets off defense and turnovers is one way to overcome that. When Ernie Gilliard first came to Bluefield, I thought he was going to be a great coach, but my view has been changed as you can see. Not only has he failed in Charleston, but he has done it for the same reason more than once. I find it quite amazing. Yes i give all the credit to Magnolia for a great game on thursday, they are a very well coached and disiplined team. I know it is easy to watch from the sidelines and look back in perspective, but i think we are all witnessing the same thing, Bluefield not achieving what it should. And anyone who could see the hurt in those seniors eyes after the game, should be enraged with Ernie Gilliard. They deserve a real shot. Yes, the game could have been won without pressing. But why ever leave any doubt, and just run the floor all day. No stopping late in the game, that already cost us last year. I really can't think anyone can disagree with bluefield not pressing the whole game.