Logan 63 Magnolia 49 Final and thoughts on Coach Gilliard

bluefieldRocks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only going to say it one more time...this year...

COACHING, OR LACK THEREOF, IS THE ONLY THING THAT HAS KEPT BLUEFIELD FROM WINNING MULTIPLE STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS IN THE LAST FOUR YEARS!!!

You can say all you want but Bluefield had the most talented group of players in the AA State Tournament in Charleston and came home after the first round.

When is ANYONE going to start paying attention to the REAL problem????

[ QUOTE ]

I dont care what you say. You cannot in anyway blame this on coach gilliard. It was the players who were missing shots. Missing Foul shots, fouling players for no reason. Nothing can be put on gilliard

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop drinking the Kool-aid...Bluefield played Magnolia's game and never once forced them to play Bluefield's game...

As I wrote before I'm not the biggest basketball fan so there might be a reasonable answer, but someone do tell me how 1 team forces a fast team such as bluefield to slow down their fast game and play their style? I know how that can be done with the refs, but personelle wise how is that really possible?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I dont care what you say. You cannot in anyway blame this on coach gilliard. It was the players who were missing shots. Missing Foul shots, fouling players for no reason. Nothing can be put on gilliard

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop drinking the Kool-aid...Bluefield played Magnolia's game and never once forced them to play Bluefield's game...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll write this, if you can't earn a title with this team against the teams that were there....maybe it just isn't going to happen, who knows though.

Something to consider, simply for thought, the football and basketball teams each reached the title games in '05 football and '06 basketball, and with a lot of returning talent and seemingly stronger teams, with better records, neither earned the opportunity to compete in the title game in '06 football and '07 basketball, and the competition certainly wasn't any harder in the latter 2.

[ QUOTE ]

As I wrote before I'm not the biggest basketball fan so there might be a reasonable answer, but someone do tell me how 1 team forces a fast team such as bluefield to slow down their fast game and play their style? I know how that can be done with the refs, but personelle wise how is that really possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't claim to know alot about basketball either but in listening to the game yeasterday, it seemed every time Bluefield started to get in a groove or they was starting to quicken the pace the Magnolia coach called a timeout. As G-Man stated though, they have had some exceptional teams the last few years and have failed to bring home the title. Whether that is coaching or not, who knows, but I do know that Danny Gaither won the title when he had the talent.

Guest JJBrickface

You guys are not thinking this all the way through. Yes we have some good talent but we don't have that many good shooters. Dexter who is the best scorer had trouble scoring. That's a good reason of why we loss.

It's warranted to write that the last time I recall bluefield having a light's out type of shooter who was really consistent was gaither's son, gaither jr. and those were the seasons bluefield had the title.

But bluefield's style in my opinion permitts them to score more in different ways though.

But overall bluefield is the santa claus of aa sports in wv.

Guest JJBrickface

Are they excellent shooters or excellent game shooters? I'm not disagreeing with you because I don't know what their percentages are on the year. I know some players that can shoot the lights out but when the game is on they have trouble hitting them. Also another huge disadvantage Bluefield had this year and in the past few years is a good big man. We have been a small athletic team and that gets by a lot of times but it hurts us when we play in Charleston. Yesterday we got outrebounded 30-20 and had one more turnover then they did. They also got 10 more free throws then we had. So second chance points and free throws is why they beat us, I don't see it as a coaching blunder as GMan tried to say.

[ QUOTE ]

Are they excellent shooters or excellent game shooters? I'm not disagreeing with you because I don't know what their percentages are on the year. I know some players that can shoot the lights out but when the game is on they have trouble hitting them. Also another huge disadvantage Bluefield had this year and in the past few years is a good big man. We have been a small athletic team and that gets by a lot of times but it hurts us when we play in Charleston. Yesterday we got outrebounded 30-20 and had one more turnover then they did. They also got 10 more free throws then we had. So second chance points and free throws is why they beat us, I don't see it as a coaching blunder as GMan tried to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a "coaching blunder" for allowing Magnolia to control the tempo of the game. I would have pressed them, trapped them, and ran them out of the gym...or at least would have tried to...for the entire game...THAT didn't happen, THAT is the "coaching blunder"...as you said, Bluefield had a "small athletic team", the fact that they didn't use it to their advangtage is a HUGE COACHING BLUNDER...

[ QUOTE ]

As I wrote before I'm not the biggest basketball fan so there might be a reasonable answer, but someone do tell me how 1 team forces a fast team such as bluefield to slow down their fast game and play their style?

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic case tonight in the NCAA tourney...

Did you watch the VT-Illinois game??? Illinois slowed it down, used the clock, and forced VT to play there deliberate half-court style game even though VT was much more athletic. Illinois controlled the game and led by 12 with a little more than 8 minutes left in the game. VT then turned up the pressure...full court press, trapped in half court situations creating eight or nine Illinois turnovers in the last eight minutes of the game, VT capitalized with their transition game and was able to come back and win...despite horrid free throw shooting...again.

THAT is how a team can force another team to play their style of basketball...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

As I wrote before I'm not the biggest basketball fan so there might be a reasonable answer, but someone do tell me how 1 team forces a fast team such as bluefield to slow down their fast game and play their style?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you watch the VT-Illinois game??? Illinois slowed it down, used the clock, and forced VT to play there deliberate half-court style game even though VT was much more athletic. Illinois controlled the game and led by 12 with a little more than 8 minutes left in the game. VT then turned up the pressure...full court press, trapped in half court situations creating eight or nine Illinois turnovers in the last eight minutes of the game, VT capitalized with their transition game and was able to come back and win...despite horrid free throw shooting...again.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed 100%

Guest BEAVERTAIL

My dad went to charleston today and MANY of the coaches agreed that gilliard finds a way to lose it every time...

so bluefield didn't do the full court press and pressure the other team throughout the game. My thoughts are if they didn't do it for 1 minute of the game theywouldn't be doing 100 5 to earn the victory?

I watched the hokies il game till about 5 minutes or something and il was ahead and I checked and it had just finished.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyhow it doesn't read as if the other team forces the quick team to slow it down as much as it seems the faster team permitts it to be slowed down by not playing their style.

If Bluefield High School is content with winning the section and region and every year (a VERY weak section and region might I add), only to make a quick exit in Charleston, then Coach Gilliard is the man for the job.

Who else could we possibly get to coach then?, If not gillard? I personally think he is a good coach. And if you would have watched the game, you would have saw. It was our players to didnt do there part of the deal. Which is to make baskets and foul shots

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Who else could we possibly get to coach then?, If not gillard? I personally think he is a good coach. And if you would have watched the game, you would have saw. It was our players to didnt do there part of the deal. Which is to make baskets and foul shots

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100% Rocks. If we do the fundamentals then we come out with the victory.

[ QUOTE ]

Its hard to set up the press if you aren't scoring.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Press" is short for "PRESSURE"...doesn't have to be full court. Ever heard of a half court trap??? That is a great "PRESSURE" defense to run against a team that is trying to "slow it down"...it "PRESSURES" that team into doing something they don't want to do, which in turn will likely create turnovers, which lead to easy transition scores...it ain't rocket science...

Here's a link that may come in handy...

http://guidetocoachingbasketball.com/

[ QUOTE ]

Who else could we possibly get to coach then?, If not gillard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.. I don't know?? Maybe the JV coaches Tony Webster or Willy Ellison. Have you ever wondered why the JV team always has a great record and hardly ever loses, and then when they get to varsity ball they don't really make any noise?