Merrill Gainer Mystery

cowboy8

Does anyone know why Merrill Gainer has never had anything named for him in regard to Bluefield High School sports? Gainer was 87-6-1 with state championships in 1959, '62, '63, '65, and '67. The Roanoke area is going to have a stadium named for him but his record in Bluefield is the high point of his career. What is the inside story?

but a post that really doesn't belong in response to a serious ? about the lengendary coach who's influence is responsible for some of the regions best football programs and numerous states titles, wv and va.

Perhaps in a way the region's success is the best tribute to him though. How many coches were influenced by him, Chmara, Carlock, Gate's city's coach some maybe?, assistants under those coaches, tim sarver of harrisonburg. I know it's filtered down considerably, although none were close to the caliber gainer was.

My uncle know him well and told many stories, he said his practices were short and hard and disciplined. In fact 1 of the stores about 1 of his 1st days reminds me of gene hackman's 1st day and style in hoosiers, he said there was always a good amount of people who watched practice at bluefield, and on 1 of the 1st days they questioned when they were going to scrimmage the way they were used to everyday, and told them we don't.

He told of another time how a lineman missed a key assignment, and he said a lot of coaches would spend 2 minutes walking through it and showing the player what he did wrong and drilling him in the right way, but he said gainer just said, "boy, ..... you gotta pick up that block...", and players would either get it done for him or be put on the sidelines.

He said he also built an increadible amount of team pride and unity, and told me about how if a player quit, coach gainer would tell the team, don't associate with that person at all, don't even speak to him, I don't care if he's your best friend, he's not going to be your friend till your through with bluefield high football..."

But it would be good to see some type of memorial for him though football wise, perhaps a statue or something at mitchell stadium.

Issue resolved.

Now back to the original question in this thread. I'm not sure anyone knows why Gainer hasn't had something named for him in Bluefield. Could be the fact he only coached a few seasons before moving on? I don't know. Regardless, he's very deserving of having his name attached to something because his record and accomplishments were mind-boggling and speak for themselves.

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know why Merrill Gainer has never had anything named for him in regard to Bluefield High School sports? Gainer was 87-6-1 with state championships in 1959, '62, '63, '65, and '67. The Roanoke area is going to have a stadium named for him but his record in Bluefield is the high point of his career. What is the inside story?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty impressive, That means he wone a title at least every other season during that span. I know this will probably sound funny from a die-hard James Monroe fan, but this is why I don't have a lot of respect for the coaches at Bluefield right now. That guy there knew what it took to get a team to play. I just never have believed that Simon could always do that.

From the looks of things, I need to get JM's coach Witt and his crew to interview everyone they can that played for this guy and try to learn some lesson's. Might help get my Mavs over the top.

He coached at Big Creek before Bluefield whether this is where started, don't know, but I think this is where he coached the likes of, Hicks, Clarlock, Rider, and Poletti plus probaly several more.

Considering you didn't have the weight training, camps, and as much time invested, this guy had to be one of the first men in SWVA,WV who figured out how to put his speed where it belonged and motovate his line to fight like h'll.

You can still see his marks on Graham and the Beavers.

Had a statics teacher in college who was a former Beaver, Dr. Lotito, who I believe he said was a running back, under Gainer. He had some good stories.

One of the best teachers I had in college. If you had the desire to work he would get you there.

If the "Hicks" you're referring to is Joel Hicks, he never played for or coached with Gainer. He took over at Big Creek a few years after Gainer left for Bluefield. It was his first coaching job of any type after graduating from WVU. He went to Richwood HS.

[ QUOTE ]

Also coached at Poca, Elkview, and Big Creek, combined record of Bluefield and these schools 181-32-7

Ended career at Patick Henry of Roanoke with record of 59-25-1

[/ QUOTE ]

I never knew he coached at Poca or Elkview but that could have been before my time. He was a "coaches coach" to say the least, a lot of his former players are excellent coaches in their own right and it has to all spring from his coaching style.

[ QUOTE ]

Also coached at Poca, Elkview, and Big Creek, combined record of Bluefield and these schools 181-32-7

Ended career at Patick Henry of Roanoke with record of 59-25-1

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the Shepard College website, Merrill Gainer compiled a 240-57-14 record at four schools in West Virginia, and one in Virginia. He finished with 10 undefeated seasons,five state championships, WV state coach of the year in 1959,1962,and 1965. Was also named District III coach of the year in VA in 1973. More importantly, his legacy lived on thru coaches like John Chmara,Glynn Carlock,Willis White,Nick Colobro, and Tim Sarver, who between them have over 1,000 victories. Quite impressive indeed.......

and a number of those defeats were at the start of his coaching tenure at some of those schools, example, patrick henry in va was '0 - 10 the season before he bcame hc, they were around 3 - 7 his 1st season. So you could say he had to build some of those programs. Their winning ways weren't exactly in place when he arrived there..

Just a quick correction. Coach Gainer won four championships in nine years at BHS (59, 62, 65, and 67). His 1960 team was also undefeated, but did not get a shot at the state championship because only the top two teams were included in the playoffs in West Virginia at that time. His 61 and 66 team both lost only one game. My sophomore year at BHS was 1967, so I had the good fortune of playing for the following coaching staff: Merrill Gainer, John Chmara, Glynn Carlock, and Chuck Lambert. After Coach Gainer retired from coaching in the spring of 1968, Coach Chmara added Bill Kinser to the staff, and we were undefeated in 1968. However, once again we were rated at number three, thus did not get the chance to play for the state championship. It is interesting to note that in the 10-season span from 1959-1968, not only did BHS win all four championships in which we played; but could possibly have added two more in 60 and 68. Six undefeated seasons in a ten-year span is pretty solid.

Just thought I would add a little old-guy historical view to the discussion. As to your original question, which is very valid, I think it is in part a function of the stadium being owned by the city, unlike many situations in which the high school owns its own stadium. Since Mitchell Stadium was originally named for a Mayor, and not a legendary sports figure, you would think a change in name would have been appropriate.

I should have mentioned that Coach Gainer was a hero in Big Creek in the 1950s. After the Owls were denied a playoff spot in '58 he moved to BHS. "Rocket Boys" fans will know that story well. Jim Hickam, Homer's brother, played for Coach Gainer at Big Creek. Mr. R. L. Turner, "the" Big Creek principal for 30 years (1955-85) told me that a band director told him that he went five years to games during Gainer's time there and never saw the Owls lose a game, although they may have tied a couple. I knew how Coach Gainer went on to Roanoke and rebuilt another state championship program before retiring. I apologize for incorrectly adding 1963 as a state championship year but as many of you said, it seemed like Beaver could have been state champs just about every season. With Chmara on offense, Carlock on defense, plus Chuck Lambert, all directed by Gainer -- WOW is about all I can say.

Maybe some of you in the Bluefield area could approach the city board or the BOE and get something going.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i wanna know why it had to be pete wood why couldn't have been anybody else since u was joking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only because he was the best runing back at BHS in the last 50 years maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

well who is he then and why we dont hear about him if he was the best

pete woods would be considered old school which is a big reason you don't read much about him on here, there are a few old school rb's considered to be among the best, him, tim sarver and donnie jackson, come to mind, and that said perhaps marco dowell from the mid to late '70s would be considered old school, although late '70's is right at the edge for me, I consider mid '70s and before old school myself.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i wanna know why it had to be pete wood why couldn't have been anybody else since u was joking?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know anything about the history of high school football in the Bluefield area, then you would know who Pete Wood is...obviously you don't...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know anything about the history of high school football in the Bluefield area, then you would know who Pete Wood is...obviously you don't...

[/ QUOTE ]No im just sayin ive heard a lil but u don't get to many ppl to talk about the past of these high schools and I was wanting to hear some history G-man u try to be a a hole to much sorry but u do