Who has the best program in the SWVAFootball.com coverage area since 2001??

GMan

[ QUOTE ]

so what happened that lee's program had a donwfall?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the answers vary and it also depends on who you ask. But to answer the best I can. Lee's had 5 coaching changes (you could say 6) since Don Williams retired (he coached all but 3 or 4 of the previous seasons), due to health troubles, a couple weeks before the '99 season started. 1998 was Lee High's last winning season and the last time they made it to the playoffs after having been there every season before. Only one of the next coaches won more than 2 games, that was Gary Wolfe, one being in the '99 season as he was named interim head coach after Williams left, then again in '05. Brian Lee was named head coach in 2000, he coached about 3 seasons I think, won no more than 2 games in any season. A coach from western North Carolina, Chris Brookshire, was hired briefly next but turned around and ended up taking another coaching job down there in Erwin, and then Chris Hagernman was hired thereafter. He led them to a 2-8 season, before being fired after being convicted of assault on some students in an incident in class (this all in '03). Wolfe took back over in '04 winning 4 games total before resigning (rumors are it was that or be fired). Bobby Sanders took over last season.

Hopefully I got everything correct there lol.

Some say politics is a part of it also, and other believe it also has to do with talent dropping off. Pick and choose I guess.

From the program's start in '89, Lee has went from this...

http://leefootball.20m.com/records.html

to this.....

http://swvafootball.com/Football/Schedules/Lee.htm

We're hopeful it will turn back around and I believe things are beginning to take a turn for the better. Hopes are higher heading into this season.

That's kind of intersting, not surprisingly alot of people from "Beaver Country" didn't exactly like that one.

It really is unfortunate at this point that my Mavericks have lost some close playoff games through the years, especially 1999, 2002, and 2006, and possibly 1998, and 2005 when they lost very winabbly playoff games and were established as the best team in the state those years.

With some hard work, the 2007 team can change all that in November.

Grundy looks stronger than they actually are at this point on that list...been a tough time the last few years for Wave fans...They sure had some good teams though at the early part of the decade.

did i take a several year slumber and miss james monroe actually doing ANYTHING on the field when it mattered?? cough, cough, sorry, had to clear my throat!

mr beaver country

It really is unfortunate at this point that my Mavericks have lost some close playoff games through the years, especially 1999, 2002, and 2006, and possibly 1998, and 2005 when they lost very winabbly playoff games and were established as the best team in the state those years.

"Established as the best team in the state those years"

LMAO

[ QUOTE ]

That's kind of intersting, not surprisingly alot of people from "Beaver Country" didn't exactly like that one.

With some hard work, the 2007 team can change all that in November.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The best teams always find ways to win, especially in the playoffs. James Monroe had exceptional teams in many of those years you mentioned, but you can't call them the best in the state because they didn't win the state title. That's simply my take on it though.

[ QUOTE ]

Best team in the region covered by this website since 2001?

Virginia: Salem

West Virginia: Bluefield

Overall: Salem

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only speak to the Virginia side of the equation, but I have to concur that Salem has been the most successful program within the timeframe referenced.

No disrespect to my beloved alma mater, and it's an apples and oranges comparison with several variables to begin with, but Region III is a real beast at the Division 4 level.

[ QUOTE ]

Is there anyway you could factor Weir and Wayne in on that WV list? I'd be interested to know where they stand. Weir usually plays a tough schedule and comes out with 2-4 losses during the reg. season, so I'd assume they'd be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayne: 13.67

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Is there anyway you could factor Weir and Wayne in on that WV list? I'd be interested to know where they stand. Weir usually plays a tough schedule and comes out with 2-4 losses during the reg. season, so I'd assume they'd be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayne: 13.67

[/ QUOTE ]

they would be on top of the list from around this area but what about from their area?would they still be on top?

Well its good to see grundy still in the top five of the class AA list lol. Though im suprised they are due to the last couple of years, grundy has hit a nice little rough spot in the road, but grundy still being that high on the list shows how good the teams were in the early 2000's.