Beavers, GMEN on collision course

bluefieldRocks

BLUEFIELD  The signal calling at Mitchell Stadium on Tuesday echoed wildly off hundreds of empty metal bleachers. That won’t be a problem on Friday night.

The Graham G-Men had their turn on the turf Tuesday. The Bluefield Beavers are scheduled there today. And thousands of fans have had the opening game of the high school football season on their calendars for months.

Graham head coach Doug Marrs said that the trip to the game site was “just to let them have a little feel for it.†But in another way, he added, it was business as usual. “Other than our practice field, everything we’ve done this year so far has been on artificial turf,†he said.

“I don’t think it even fazes them now,†the coach said. “I don’t even think they think about it. ... It’s so much like grass, you don’t even think about it.â€Â

Bluefield head coach Fred Simon was asked how the team reacted to the turf during last Friday’s scrimmages in the Pocahontas Coal Champions Classic.

“They liked it a whole lot. They loved it, and so did I,†Simon said. “Stepping out there, you could really feel how it (had) good traction, yet soft to land on. ... It’s a first-class field, a championship field, and we feel very privileged.

“I thank, in my mind, every day, Mrs. June O. Shott, for doing this for us,†Simon said.

Bluefield senior Ansel Ponder talked about the new turf last week. “It’ll be more exciting for both teams,†he said. Speaking of Graham, he said, “I wish them luck, and we’re going to have a good game.â€Â

Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. at the venerable stadium on the state border, and both teams should be more than ready.

Marrs said, “Every game’s a big game, but this is a big game. It’s a neighbor vs. neighbor, friend vs. friend type of rivalry. You don’t want to listen to the other side jaw for a whole year, so you’d like to go out and absolutely have a great game on that first one.

“But our whole intent is to get better  each week.â€Â

Tyler Barreras, a no-nonsense Graham senior, had a different reaction to the spectacle-in-waiting. “It’s just another game for me ... just playing another team; nothing really special,†he said.

“There’s a lot of people out there and everything, but you’ve just got to go out there and play your hardest. And that goes for the whole team.â€Â

The fullback said, “Every game is big, to me.â€Â

Bluefield’s senior tackle Joe Stone said that before the game, “You’re kind of nervous, a little bit. You’re excited, too, at the same time. ... It’s more exciting than anything, really.â€Â

He said, when he was a freshman, it was “amazing†to take the field at Mitchell Stadium. “That was probably the most outstanding thing that I’d ever been with. The team was great, that 2004 season, too. We won the state (championship) that year.â€Â

The game “means everything to us,†Stone said. “The team’s been working hard. The seniors have been trying to get everybody ready. ... It’s just an amazing experience.â€Â

“Right before Beaver-Graham, you start getting ready. (You’ve) just got to keep going all week.â€Â

Asked about the G-Men’s preparation, Barreras said, “I think we’re doing great. Everybody’s stepped it up. The line is doing awesome; the backs are doing really good.â€Â

Marrs said, “We’ve thrown a lot at them the last couple of days. It was hot yesterday (Monday), and we practiced up here (at the stadium) today. The concentration is OK; we just need to step it up.

“Considering the people we’ve replaced, for the last two weeks I’ve been rather pleased with how we’ve come along. Replacing 20 kids, that’s a pretty large task ... and we’ve replaced 20 kids that played.

“We’ve come a long way since the first day of practice, I promise you that,†Marrs said.

Simon, who claimed “we’ve got a lot of work to do†after Friday’s scrimmages, said his team’s progress this week has been “not bad. Monday ... was a learning day for us. Hopefully, Tuesday and Wednesday are work days, and we pick up the pace a little bit.

“And I think we will, because everyone knows how important this game is. So you shouldn’t have to say much to get them going in that direction.â€Â

Simon said, “Hopefully their actions take care of the task at hand; that’s what I look at. It’s their actions  their work habits out on the field, and how they portray themselves out there, that means the most to me.â€Â

Is the blood pumping faster for the coaches as well?

Simon said, “It basically starts on Monday. You’re getting prepared and everything, and you know it’s getting closer. So the heart rate starts moving up a little bit.â€Â

The quarterback for Bluefield will be Will Cole, who formerly started at that position for Graham. Simon said, “and we have another very dependable quarterback in Eric McClanahan, if needed. Eric can play other positions, too. Eric’s worked very hard in August, also.â€Â

Marrs will deploy his nephew David Marrs, a sophomore, at quarterback. “We’ve always been fortunate at Graham. We have quarterbacks,†Marrs said. “And David’s our quarterback.â€Â

If he starts Cole, were screwed...

[ QUOTE ]

Why are Bluefield and Graham people so friggin dead? Its 2 DAYS FROM BEAVER GRAHAM AND NOBODY IS TALKING CRAP?????????????????????????????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably has something to do with how Bluefield's played in scrimmages, some people on the WV side are still smarting from last year's game, and are hoping it's not instant replay.

From what I've heard, should be a good game though. Despite how Graham's looked good in preseason, I still think they'll have problems with Bluefields speed, as long as Cole doesn't turn the ball over. Look for Bluefield to throw an unusually few amount of passes, I think the Bluefield's ability or inability to run the ball will decide the game.

getting burned out on it.same old crap every year,i think people are getting tired of trash talking about the same thing everyday.dont you?i think its gonna be a good game.Grahams gonna win anyway so whats there to talk about.ok i started it so lets get it on.lol we gotta keep rocks happy.lol that was classy of ponder to wish Graham good luck.

[ QUOTE ]

Why are Bluefield and Graham people so friggin dead? Its 2 DAYS FROM BEAVER GRAHAM AND NOBODY IS TALKING CRAP?????????????????????????????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather talk on Saturday, if we are fortunate enough to win....

[ QUOTE ]

Bluefield senior Ansel Ponder talked about the new turf last week. “It’ll be more exciting for both teams,†he said. Speaking of Graham, he said, “I wish them luck, and we’re going to have a good game.â€Â

[/ QUOTE ]

When the last time you saw/heard a player make that type of comment about an opponent? I just find it very refreshing to see that type of sportsmanship, especially in a rivalry as huge as Beaver/Graham.

As for the lack of talk, gloating, etc. I'm not sure what's going on this year. I believe many Bluefield fans are in wait and see mode after last Friday. I was worried with what I saw on the field, but some of that worry has been alleviated in recent days with behind-the-scenes info. Again, the game on Friday will come down to a single word, toughness. If Beaver shows some mental and physical toughness they'll win. If don't then Graham will run the ball down their throat, control the clock, and win.

All of the ponder kids are good kids,Ansels youngest brother comes to my house to play with my eleven year.He is very respectful and a very quiet kid.I went to school with their mother and also work with her and she would expect nothing less from her young men.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I saw over the past year, it's been sort of a perpetual trash talking. Graham or Beaver? VA or WV? It's hard to make it escalate if it's been talked about so much. But still, Beaver is gonna beat the crap out of Graham. What the hell is a Gman anyway??? Hahaha, just instigating...

don't get too excited he is just very humbling isn't he a great player indeed accepting his loss graciously GHS 28 BHS 14 talking trash is my name watching beaver loose is my game the truth hurts i watched beaver win it all in 04 at wheeling im so sorry but this team ain't nothing like that i can't help myself but i do like them when they ain't playing us

Actually, having logical discussions regarding both teams and the game itself is rather refreshing I think. Understanding that every year it is a new team with a different set of players gives us something to discuss and debate. Anyone can get on here and talk the same old trash every year. It is only forty-eight hours away,and it has been civil posts on both sides. Could someone please pass the Grey Poupon?

im definitely in 'wait and see' mode and after the scrimmage friday, i was sorta wishing Cole had stayed at Graham, but you have to wonder if Freddy might have somethin up his sleeve for the G-Boys?!

i would pass u what i had left over from last august but its moldy.lol i agree with bluefieldrocks about ansel ponders remark,i too think he ment it.im looking forward to the game friday because none of us know whos going to win,and i think that makes this years game more exciting for both sides.on the Graham side you have rough tough players who love to grind it out and have a line that can bring down buildings.and on Bluefields side you have speed and quickness and some players who can score from anywhere on the field.yes i think its safe to say that fridays game will be one of the best.good luck everybody.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

haha well tell bluefield thanks for "customizing" are practice field

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. im guessing another beaver prank... care to tell us more?

[ QUOTE ]

i guess bluefield won't be messing with chaz's hummer this year. haha jk

that was pretty mean though

[/ QUOTE ]

chaz...chaz..chaz...gotta cry over a scratch on the top of his hummer that you can't even see, unless you get on top of the 8 foot tall suv

[ QUOTE ]

well when we got to practice today we were suprised to see spray painted in our far endzone "we believe" well folks i hope u can believe in will cole on friday

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah considering your fans already tried to steal that motto from us..how do you know it wasen't your own fans trying to support you all