Bluefield 14, William Campbell 7 -- FINAL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

understand this:

mcclannahan was not the number 1 QB in the state last year. he did not have a small margin of int's. he did not come through all the time in clutch situations, but threw a couple of int's in those situations. in fact, other than the fact that he was a 2-yr starter at QB, the only thing he has on will skill wise is his running ability. and that's not even the best in the state! he wasn't a horrible QB at all, but he wasn't the best ever, either.

will has proved in the last 3 games that he can throw the ball accurately, long, hard, and to more than one receiver. and like eric, he makes bad passes all the same. the team doesn't need an all-american. they need somebody who's going to get the ball to people who can make plays. this "hype" was created for eric because he lost is starting position to a transfer who had a bad year last year. but lets think about how much time he had, and how many dependable receivers he had. the margins are nothing compared to what he has this year.

he gets the job done, and hasn't lost a game for us yet. he's proven to be solid in high-pressure situations for us, and has come through for us every game. he improves every game. and he's taking charge more and more in the huddle every game.

gossip is fun. but it's time you gossip about something worth gossiping over. PLEASE trust coach simon's decisions, for he has proven his decisions are for the best or else he wouldn't have 2 state titles under his belt.

if we are going to go all the way this year, we need the support. not negativity. if eric accepts the fact that he's not starting, why dont you. he starts on defense and is doing superb. he may not like the fact that will is starting over him, but how do you think bednarik feels? ill tell you. he LOVES that he's not the starting QB at WV anymore. you know why?! because White is doing great.

will is doing great. don't take that away from him. if you have a personal problem with him because of his family or whatever, that's fine. but his character in the school and on the field is outstanding as of right now considering the circumstances he has to play under with everybody waiting on ONE SINGLE screw up so they can chant for eric. and until he proves me wrong i'll stick by him. and even then i'll stick by him. even mcclannahan had off games.

and by the way, i'm very good friends with eric. more so than will. and he know how i feel. and he understands. that's why he's doing his part where the team needs him most on defense. he will do whatever it takes to win, even if it means playing only D. because he respects his teammates. and it's shown the last 3 friday's on his terrific defense. give cole some credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said. very well said.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

what about the opening drive? he completed numerous passes. 15 of 25 is pretty good for any high school qb. Cole has led bluefield on long drives by passing in al 3 games, throwing all kinds of passes. Quit dissing on the kid cause he is from graham and his parents have money. Last time i checked he goes to bluefield high and wears a beaver jersey, so you should at least support him. not to mention he was perfect in the win loss column.

[/ QUOTE ]

But take away the "gimme" completions on the last drive and the TD pass and he was 8-16 for 79 yards with 1 INT...no one at the game was impressed...

[/ QUOTE ]

nobody needs to be "impressed" with our QB. the TEAM won. im sorry you forgot that there's no "I" in team, because for you there is obviously a "ME" in it. eric doesn't do the job as well as will in practice. this is a reason will is starting over him. blame eric's misfortune on lack of opportunity, but lets not forget eric is lucky to be playing.

he had to go through summer school to be eligible to play, and passed with a 96. but that was an act of desperation, so to speak. coach simon sat him aside numerous times after the christmas break and start of 2nd semester and told him he HAD to get his grades up for his team to play, because he was on his way to being ineligible. (all this before talk of cole coming to play, mind you) eric let the team down. yes, he made up for it in the end, but in THAT clutch situation he let them down. if it hadn't been for the situations he put himself in reguarding summer school and a newborn baby, he may very well be starting QB. but all summer without getting snaps or reps throwing didn't make him any better, while cole worked his butt of. and it's showing. don't be so opinionated without the whole story my friend.

I was one of the people booing and yelling for Cole to be taken out of the game. Somewhere down the road, he will cost us a game and I pray it isn't in the playoffs or during a crucial game. That TD pass at the end saved him from the hands of a lynch mob for at least one more week.

[ QUOTE ]

I was one of the people booing and yelling for Cole to be taken out of the game. Somewhere down the road, he will cost us a game and I pray it isn't in the playoffs or during a crucial game. That TD pass at the end saved him from the hands of a lynch mob for at least one more week.

[/ QUOTE ]

eric was never lynched. matt james and ryan albert were never lynched. coach simon was never lynched.

we all lose. we're all human. and with people like you booing for no stated reason, if we do lose a game it's because there's a black spot in will's vision where "fan support" isn't. but that spot didn't bother him against graham, princeton, or william campbell. why should it against anybody else?

what do you want to happen? do you want coach to put eric in now? let him get 3 games under his belt? get his first game back jitters out against oak hill who has the potential, like everybody else on our schedule, to beat us if we have a mental slip? just throw all the details out of the equation and hope you're right? great idea. let's gamble the possibility of an undefeated season on the minority's opinion, and give eric the starting job. now i said GAMBLE, not LOSE. he may do great, but why chance it?!

will has done a fine job so far. and saying he may mess up a game in a clutch situation is just as true for brooks on a run, patterson on a kick return, and eric on defense with a speedy guy coming around the end (hence WC's only score last night!)

every game is important. we've found a way to win each one of them. until we need another QB, will is our guy. Eric is No.2.

and just FYI, the play in the 4th quarter where the ball was knocked from brooks' hands and popped into the air to an awaiting WC defender who grabbed it and started on his was to an open field, 30yds from the endzone...it WAS a fumble. caused by a helmet, not the ground. film doesn't lie.

had that call been ruled a fumble, would you lynch brooks? WC would've scored on that. we got lucky there. and it was ALL BROOK'S FAULT. but he's human, and bounced back.

and this is the best start BHS has had since '04. we lost at least one in the first 2 for the last 2 years. the 2 year's eric started. blame it on the line, or the backs. i know you will. but we had JT AND Brooks the last years, and the line this year is smaller than last. will is not the reason we are winning, but he is a componet.

so tell me with a reasonable answer (if possible), why should eric start against Oak Hill in 2 weeks and NOT will.

First off no quarterback is so dang good that he never has an off night or a few bad passes.....Will is no different. However great quarterbacks and athletes in general succeed in making those around them better. Trust me guys if this kid is not a great athlete/ quarterback yet then he is fast approaching that level. Eric McClanahan is another great quarterback/ athlete..if you haven't noticed. Either of these two YES TWO young men CAN AND WILL get the job done. Both are unselfish, hardworking, team players. I really wish that you naysayers and people out of the know would leave the issue alone. They may not be YOUR (meaning you) prototype quarterbacks but I am sure they are just perfect for the overall scheme of things at Beaver this year. All of this talk about who is bigger, better, stronger has not worked to your advantage....there is no team seperation, no dissention among the ranks, no cliqish behavior.....your put downs etc. make us stronger, more determined, and focused on what is really important......WINNING IT ALL.

Thanks

p.s.- "Never speak what you think, instead express only those things that you know to be true." - Phatbeaver 2007

Reasonable answer? How about for the sole reason that his numerous mistakes and blown opportunities had Bluefield very close to losing that game last night? I can't count how many times I saw Cole misplace a pass to an open receiver by putting it too far ahead of them, behind them, or just 10 feet over their head (which was the case with one wide open screen pass). Cole also has the tendency to freeze and tuck the ball whenever someone is within 5 yards of him. You cannot afford to leave points on the board against any team, and especially against the teams coming up on our schedule such as Mount View, Richlands, and James Monroe. Cole won't throw a winning TD every game, so what will your argument be then?

[ QUOTE ]

if it hits both your hands then you should catch it. False brooks has two fumbles, only one was a turnover however. And i think brooks is one of the best players we have, maybe the best, however he makes mistakes too. But no one runs home to get on the message board and talk crap about him like they do cole.

[/ QUOTE ]this is true but his only "offical" fumble was against princeton

look if im not mistaken bhsenoughsaid is a player on the team and everyone is starting to make him mad and id say as close as the team is this year he isn't the only one leave it alone ppl everything will take care of its self believe me if there comes a time where Will Cole falls real short like so many of you want him to Trust that Freddy will do what he has to to win even if he did not like Eric if he thought it ment them winning he would play him.. that young man is right this is whats wrong with BLUEFIELDIERS as it is we are all quick to CRITISIZE..well in the words of the youngsters lets not player hate lets congradulate and show the beavers we have there backs.... PLEASE..(for the kids)

[ QUOTE ]

Reasonable answer? How about for the sole reason that his numerous mistakes and blown opportunities had Bluefield very close to losing that game last night? I can't count how many times I saw Cole misplace a pass to an open receiver by putting it too far ahead of them, behind them, or just 10 feet over their head (which was the case with one wide open screen pass). Cole also has the tendency to freeze and tuck the ball whenever someone is within 5 yards of him. You cannot afford to leave points on the board against any team, and especially against the teams coming up on our schedule such as Mount View, Richlands, and James Monroe. Cole won't throw a winning TD every game, so what will your argument be then?

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with the comment about leaving points on the board. but let's not point the fingers at one person. how about poor line protection in the first half? the drive that led to the first sexton kick (which left 3 points on the board. should we let Levi kick the next one??). the same drive brooks had a tackle for loss, low snap bad pass, middle linebacker delayed blitz bad pass (cole was murdered that play. didnt freeze though. got it off.)

had cole NOT frozen the times he did,most if not all of the passes would've been picked off because the secondary was covering nicely. lets not forget we were playing a very speedy team.

said it once, i'll say it again. we're all human. not to mention the kid's 16 year's old with god knows HOW OLD's on his back for being the QB. i also said he DID make a couple bad passes (screen, 2 over wassum's head, ponder into coverage which resulted in an INT...but ponder didn't even try to fight for it. film doesnt lie once again...slacked off that play. should we put somebody in for him??)) but did eric never make bad passes? if im not mistaken, last year beaver tried their best to stay away from the pass unless it was a streak to matthew carter, bubble to JT, or made ansel go up and make a play on his own. and he made bad passes too. the shady game last year proved it all. sure we won 41ish to 7ish, but eric was 4-6 (6 total passes) and 1 int which set up shady for a TD 10 plays later.sure, great stats...almost 80%. but there was no confidence in his throwing against even shady, hence the 6 total passes. not clutch, but proves my point. there wasn't confidence with eric at the QB position throwing wise last year. and with BHS running WVU's spread offense now, it requires a good arm and accuracy. Will Cole has proven he is the man for the job. of will, eric, and levi, WILL is the better of the 3. if eric was better, i swear my hand to the good lord coach simon would NOT put will in just because he wanted to piss off a couple of fans. arrogance is not ignorance.

anybody can lose a game for a team. but beaver isn't going to let that happen. no matter if it's a bad pass, or a missed route (wassum did that once last night, as did ponder and joyner. 2 resulting in bad passes). we are a Team. we lose, we all lose. bad pass? possible the line broke down, missed assignment, bad route, poor effort, etc. but i guarentee you that not ONE TIME has will cole in his carreer at BHS has EVER thrown a ball bad enough in the pocket with good protection and recievers, to cost them a game. 7-9 when we needed him most. 8-16 without that drive. if you're going to break down stats, fine. but dont single him out. you can do it for the whole team as well. stone was manhandled by 66 all night. 66 made many plays in the backfield when running the ball. had it not been for 66 a couple of times, bowes and lilly were both open to the entire field with NOBODY to beat. that 12 pts. on the board. need i go on?

if you are a fan, be a fan. if you're a hater, then my response is what will ferell said in talladega nights when regarding to those who dont chew "big red gum."

[ QUOTE ]

but did eric never make bad passes? if im not mistaken, last year beaver tried their best to stay away from the pass unless it was a streak to matthew carter, bubble to JT, or made ansel go up and make a play on his own. and he made bad passes too

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse we tried to stay away from the pass, are you kidding me man? We have JT Powell, Shawn Brooks, Allen Carter in the backfield. Why would you need to pass?

This isint '05 D.K....

Its not even about who's got more money, Who can throw the ball 5 yards farther or about who freezes up when a Linebacker gets within 5 yards of tackling them

Its simply about right and wrong, and taking McClanahan out of QB after 2 whole years was just wrong.

It will comeback to bite bluefield right in the butt

Mark my words on this day September 8th 2007.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

but did eric never make bad passes? if im not mistaken, last year beaver tried their best to stay away from the pass unless it was a streak to matthew carter, bubble to JT, or made ansel go up and make a play on his own. and he made bad passes too

[/ QUOTE ]

This isint '05 D.K....

Its not even about who's got more money, Who can throw the ball 5 yards farther or about who freezes up when a Linebacker gets within 5 yards of tackling them

Its simply about right and wrong, and taking McClanahan out of QB after 2 whole years was just wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong how? Eric had his chance! i wanted with all my god given heart that eric would come back this year and be the star of the beavers! then i found out he wasn't eligible to play. i kept my hopes up. i even told coach when eric got his report cards and how good his grades were. coach's response was" they better be. but they should've been when i warned him last year." blame it on the baby, but summer school was a lot closer to the due date than march. he messed up. made up for it and is now starting on the team.

i was a back up last year. couldnt play due to difficulties. this year i came back starting and healthy. now a sophomore starts over me. im glad. he's better than me.

it was unfortunate, not wrong. even eric admits will has a better arm. wont say QB, but thats understandable.

so why should've coach started eric if will was the obvious better of the two?!?! i just DONT see your reasoning!? why play bednarik over white?!

time to go to concord for real now...ride was late.

i dont know who you are, but if you have my number call me. i would really like to continue this personally.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse we tried to stay away from the pass, are you kidding me man? We have JT Powell, Shawn Brooks, Allen Carter in the backfield. Why would you need to pass?

This isint '05 D.K....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we all understand you and Eric are friends. Just because Eric has been there 2 years he should keep his starting position. Quit your bitching. Just because you sit in the stands at every game dosent mean you know all the angles. Maybe Will is also a better leader, better student, etc. Maybe Coach Simon is looking for some more than just an athlete.

Im not "bitching", Im just simply stating that I think eric should have had a shot at QB this year. Is there any right or wrong in what im saying? maybe, maybe not...

Well just have to wait and see

This is the last time i'll bring up the Cole/McClanahan battle

[ QUOTE ]

i dont know who you are, but if you have my number call me. i would really like to continue this personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you wouldn't

Trust me, You and I are pretty good friends. I dont want to get into this with you.

I'll send you a PM telling you who I am and why i say the things I do

And to be honest, I have nothing but respect for Will Cole, He's battled back from a knee problem made some pretty good passes this whole season. Like i said, I dont have a problem with will.

I'm neutral in this...I don't know McClanahan or Cole, so I have no dog in this hunt.

I'd like to put a positive spin on this. Know how many teams would like to have this problem? A problem where we have two game-tested quarterbacks. Two guys that can win. I know a team across the state line that would probably take one game-tested QB at the moment.

For some reason, I've been thinking a lot about Merrill Gainer today, and how his teams were so good, and how they'd do whatever they needed to win. That sometimes meant that kids would change positions, upperclassmen would be reserves, whatever. I applaud McClanahan for stepping up, playing tough defense, apparently playing some TE in the 2 TE set, and doing what he has to do to help the team.

I've been keeping up with this topic for weeks. I am not taking sides but I will say this. Will is the starting QB, Eric is doing a great job on D. The team is playing with heart and great chemistry, so as fans I wish everyone would back the Bluefield Beavers the way they are. As a player you DO hear the shouts from the stands and it is disheartening. There is nothing worse than being a young high school athlete and hearing insults from classmates, young alum, and even adults. Players will make mistakes at this level, NO ONE is perfect. I agree with Rules, they are playing with great chemistry, lets just be fans and get behind them.

OK!! im putting the official and final word on this topic! I am not a big fan of Cole, he hasnt made a game losing mistake yet (and i hope he doesnt) so the job is still his to lose. Eric M made mistakes in his personal life and it cost him on the team, one has to live and learn from the mistakes thats made and hes doing that now by not being the QB. If Cole does screw up big and lose his starting job, then it will be karma, if he doesnt, then Eric is playin superb on D and getting alot of playing time so both are contributing to the team in different ways. The Beavers are 3-0 right now and ppl around the state have been put on notice that the Beavs will have a say in the AA title game this year! At this point, im suppporting Cole, altho im nervous about it, he is the team leader and they are undefeated! We should be thankful that in case of an injury we have a solid back-up QB (regardless of which one it is) to step up and lead this team! I want whats best for the team and so far, thats Cole..it could change, but until it does, he's the man!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies and Gentlemen...we have a winner...

[ QUOTE ]

there are no such thing as gimme completions. late in the game, with the pressure on, you can not tell me evry one of those passes were gimmes. He played a great game... let it go. I wont be surprised if he is Player of the week... and i hope he gets it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a team drops six or seven players ten yards or more down the field...everything underneath the coverage is a "gimme" completion and WC gave Bluefield six "gimmes" on the last drive. The only one that wasn't was the TD pass...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

if it hits both your hands then you should catch it. False brooks has two fumbles, only one was a turnover however. And i think brooks is one of the best players we have, maybe the best, however he makes mistakes too. But no one runs home to get on the message board and talk crap about him like they do cole.

[/ QUOTE ]this is true but his only "offical" fumble was against princeton

[/ QUOTE ]

anytime you put the ball on the ground it is an "offical fumble", but when the defense recovers it is a "lost fumble".

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

there are no such thing as gimme completions. late in the game, with the pressure on, you can not tell me evry one of those passes were gimmes. He played a great game... let it go. I wont be surprised if he is Player of the week... and i hope he gets it.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a team drops six or seven players ten yards or more down the field...everything underneath the coverage is a "gimme" completion and WC gave Bluefield six "gimmes" on the last drive. The only one that wasn't was the TD pass...

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's the case then what's so bad with "gimmes?" if a team respects your QB and receivers enough to give a big cushion, why not take advantage of it?! i think eric...i KNOW eric would have done the same thing cole did..and that was make the SMART choice and complete the pass. i'll take a gimme any day.