SWVASPORTS.COM

Bluefield 14, William Campbell 7 -- FINAL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

from what the radio guys said Blfd definitely dodged a major bullet on that 'horribly thrown ball' by Cole when WC hit him late. They said it was a terrible throw and sounded baffled by it but that penalty might've saved the day!

[/ QUOTE ]

He was flushed out of the pocket and delivered a great stiff-arm to avoid the sack. Cole had Ponder open about 30-yards down field, but the ball appeared to slip out of his hand as he released it. It was badly under-thrown and picked off. The roughing the pass penalty definitely helped Cole dodge that bullet. And the penalty was legit, I have it video and the guy leveled Cole well after he released the ball. So if anyone wants to cry about it the video will be up tomorrow sometime.

id like to see the video just to see it, the ball slipping from his hands might definitely explain why it was thrown so badly, not to mention a stiff arm that i didnt hear about. Ill say this, Poca won their 3rd state title with a QB that couldnt complete a pass (unless it was against blfd) so Cole can lead this team to a title with some help and by limiting mistakes!

The ball didnt slip through his hands. the ball was released about 1 whole second before the WC defender even touched him

I heard something funny tonight during the game, and old redneck guy was standing behind the bluefield sideline and said "Hey little freddy, I think you better put in that McClanahan because that Cole boy is sucking"

lol, I thought it was funny

[ QUOTE ]

McClanahan would never had made that throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao....

yea and jerry springer isint white...

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_251011734.html?keyword=secondarystory

In the clutch, Ponder's catch seals victory

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD  The track meet turned into a football game.

Will Cole connected with Ansel Ponder with a 26-yard touchdown pass with 25 seconds left on the clock, leading Bluefield to a thrilling 14-7 win over William Campbell on Friday night at Mitchell Stadium.

It was expected that two teams with so much speed would light up the scoreboard. Instead, the defenses dominated, with the Beavers finally putting the deciding drive together in the final moments.

“I know probably the fireworks weren’t what people thought,†Bluefield head coach Fred Simon said. “Their defense was definitely a lot better than I thought.

“They had a lot of speed, but what I was impressed with was how our players were able to find a way to overcome things and find a way to win.â€Â

Bluefield improved to 3-0 on the season, it’s best start since winning its eighth state title in 2004. A pair of Beavers said it’s all part of a grander plan.

“I’m planning to go undefeated and go up state and win it all,†said Bluefield senior Shaun Brooks.

“This win was very important for us,†added senior Ansel Ponder. “This is another building block for us to keep on and continue to try to make it to the state championship and contend and maybe come out with it.â€Â

Ponder, who caught 10 passes for 106 yards, was the recipient of a Cole pass to the back of the end zone. William Campbell head coach Brad Bradley was impressed with Ponder.

“You’ve got to give him a lot of credit, he really played well, I think he had a breakout game tonight,†Bradley said.

That was by design, according to Simon. “We figured it was time for him to break out and he did a nice job.â€Â

Cole was especially impressive on the final drive, completing 7-of-9 passes to four different receivers, leading the Beavers on a 13-play, 67-yard possession that took nearly five minutes off the clock.

“He got hot there, kept his composure and was cool-headed,†Simon said. “We gave him some time and the receivers caught the ball, he did a very nice job on that last drive.â€Â

Bluefield took a 7-0 lead in the second quarter on a 1-yard plunge by Cole with 5:13 before the break. That would be it for the Beavers until the final drive. Asher Sexton did miss a pair of field goal attempts, one in each half.

“You go back and there’s two teams, one says they got it done and the other one looks in the mirror and says would have, could have,†said Bradley, whose grandfather, Lawrence “Burrhead†Bradley coached Graham to the 1962 state title. “Unfortunately we’re that team tonight.â€Â

William Campbell, which collected one first down in the entire first half, made it count on its next possession, with Brandon Adams dashing through a huge hole for 66 yards to the Beavers’ 6-yard line. Three plays later, Stanley Peerman scored from the 1.

“I thought we did a daggone good job against their speed, they got one trick play and other than that, they did a nice job,†Simon said.

Neither team could dent the scoreboard in the second half until the final drive. William Campbell’s lone extended possession ended when Brooks helped stop the Generals’ Baron Adams on a 4th-and-2 with 8:15 left in the game at the Bluefield 29.

“I’m pretty sure they were planning on stopping our run and speed and we were planning on stopping their speed,†said Brooks, who followed up his 15 tackle performance last week at Princeton with a similar performance on this night. “That was the main thing we focused on in practice and that’s why there wasn’t a whole lot of scoring.â€Â

Bluefield started the winning drive with 5:22 left in the game from their own 33-yard line. Cole look poised, completing 7-of-9 passes to four different receivers.

“We went no-huddle, the coaches let us do it and we got them on their heels,†said Cole, who finished with 146 yards through the air. “I competed some passes and some receivers got open and I got time to throw and we scored.â€Â

The Beavers faced a third down at the Generals’ 26 yard line when William Campbell took a time out. Cole and Ponder decided what to do next.

“Coach asked what we wanted to do and I told him I wanted to hit Ansel on a backside post,†Cole said. “Right before we were ready to huddle up, I told Ansel I was going to hit him and he got open and I threw it right there.â€Â

Ponder dashed toward the end zone, got behind Spencer Slayton and caught the ball with room to spare in the back of the end zone. Sexton added his second extra point for the final margin.

“Before the play, Will told me, ‘I’m looking for you at the back post’ and I was just calm and just knew the guy would come through for me and he did, Will threw a pretty pass,†Ponder said. “First, I give God the glory and then my line and then Will, and I came through with the catch.â€Â

William Campbell’s final chance ended when Chase Joyner picked off a Baron Adams pass and ran out the final 13 seconds of the game. The Beavers then celebrated a hard-earned win in the middle of the field.

“We beat a really fine football program this evening,†Simon said. “Our kids have a lot of pride, and this was just a great game to be a part of.â€Â

Bradley agreed, adding that the Generals (1-1) plan a return to Bluefield next season, a three-hour plus drive from Lynchburg, Va.

“We like playing good teams and obviously Bluefield is a good football team,†Bradley said. “I think it was a great football game between two great football teams and you’ve got to give a lot of credit to Bluefield.â€Â

at Mitchell Stadium

William Campbell......0 7 0 0  7

Bluefield..................0 7 0 7  14

Scoring

Second Quarter

BFâ€â€Cole 1 run (Sexton kick) 5:13

WCâ€â€Peerman 1 run (Byrd kick) 3:05

Fourth Quarter

BFâ€â€Ponder 26 pass from Cole (Sexton kick) :25

Team Statistics

First Downs: WC 5, BF 18; Rush-Yards: WC 26-112, BF 40-84; Pass Yards: WC 46, BF 145; Att-Comp-Int: WC 14-5-1, BF 25-15-1; Fumbles-Lost: WC 0-0, BF 3-1. Punts-Avg. WC 33.0, BF 3-27.7. Penalty-Yards: WC 7-65, BF 5-28.

Individual Statistics

Rushing: WCâ€â€Br.Adams 2-58, Ba.Adams 12-33, Peerman 8-11, Byrd 3-10, Boyd 1-0; BFâ€â€Brooks 11-62, Lilly 15-33, Bowes 7-19, Patterson 2-(6), Cole 5-(24).

Passing: WCâ€â€Ba.Adams 14-5-1-46-0; BFâ€â€Cole 25-15-1-146-1.

Receiving: WC Boyd 2-20, Peerman 1-16, Slayton 2-8; BFâ€â€Ponder 10-106, Brooks 3-26, Wassum 1-11, Joyner 1-3.

[ QUOTE ]

Ill say this, Poca won their 3rd state title with a QB that couldnt complete a pass (unless it was against blfd) so Cole can lead this team to a title with some help and by limiting mistakes!

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously didn't see him play against James Monroe that year. Granted that wasn't exactly the best defense we ever had, but Shamblin played real well that night, Santmyer-RB and Tony Copalo-TE/WR (not sure about the spelling) played even better.

No doubt Poca's missing those guys right now.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Ill say this, Poca won their 3rd state title with a QB that couldnt complete a pass (unless it was against blfd) so Cole can lead this team to a title with some help and by limiting mistakes!

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously didn't see him play against James Monroe that year. Granted that wasn't exactly the best defense we ever had, but Shamblin played real well that night, Santmyer-RB and Tony Copalo-TE/WR (not sure about the spelling) played even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

defense can carry you a long way as well. much more then a good qb can. if blufield can keep shuting down teams on defense the way they have been so far, then they will have a chance at another state title. this win should go a long way for a confidence booster for them as well. way to go beavers!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

defense can carry you a long way as well. much more then a good qb can. if blufield can keep shuting down teams on defense the way they have been so far, then they will have a chance at another state title. this win should go a long way for a confidence booster for them as well. way to go beavers!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right on the money there. Offense wins games but defense wins Championships!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

mclanahan wouldnt have made that throw. for one he wouldnt have went 7 for 9 in that drive which included a drop on a really good pass.

and for 2 will cole threw that ball 40 yards (line of scrimmage 26, 5 yard drop+9 yards deep in endzone where ball was caught.) on a line. he didnt put that much air under it. Mclanahan doesnt have the arm to do that. He would have to put air under it which would allow the defenders to get to the ball, and ansel would have to pull off a miraculous catch. and that would be hard considering the athletes WC has. And lets not forget the one string of bad passes cole had when the fans were yelling to take him out, on third and sixteen he rolled out and threw a ball on a rope for a first down on the sideline. And what about the opening drive when he go the team inside the ten, by hitting a couple of passes. he completed 60% percent of his passes in this game and his Td to INT is 3 to 1. Good job Will. Hopefully people will start giving you the credit you deserve...

i dont understand this...Bluefield is undefeated and you are still bitching about Will Cole getting the starting spot???? i know you are friends with McClanahan and all but Will is playing well so far and you are undefeated...why complain about Will starting??? he is playing very good football as of right now....why complain???

[ QUOTE ]

It was on the drive in which Sexton barely missed that 43-yard FG to the right. Cole scrambled to his right and threw a strike to Ponder along the sideline. Cole is a more accurate passer when he's out of the pocket scrambling, at least last night he was.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has always been extremely accurate on the run, remember Graham-Beaver II in 05? I think he had about 150 yards passing against you guys in the fourth quarter, most of it on the run. I don't know what everyone is bitching about, Cole has been excellent, as he was last night. I guess you can't please all the people all the time.

[ QUOTE ]

mclanahan wouldnt have made that throw. for one he wouldnt have went 7 for 9 in that drive which included a drop on a really good pass.

and for 2 will cole threw that ball 40 yards (line of scrimmage 26, 5 yard drop+9 yards deep in endzone where ball was caught.) on a line. he didnt put that much air under it. Mclanahan doesnt have the arm to do that. He would have to put air under it which would allow the defenders to get to the ball, and ansel would have to pull off a miraculous catch. and that would be hard considering the athletes WC has. And lets not forget the one string of bad passes cole had when the fans were yelling to take him out, on third and sixteen he rolled out and threw a ball on a rope for a first down on the sideline. And what about the opening drive when he go the team inside the ten, by hitting a couple of passes. he completed 60% percent of his passes in this game and his Td to INT is 3 to 1. Good job Will. Hopefully people will start giving you the credit you deserve...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cole was HORRIBLE until that last drive...he was 7 for 9 because WC backed off into a prevent defense and left the underneath passes open. The ONLY good pass Cole threw all night was the TD to Ponder to win the game...

Exactly GMan...

[ QUOTE ]

dont understand this...Bluefield is undefeated and you are still bitching about Will Cole getting the starting spot???? i know you are friends with McClanahan and all but Will is playing well so far and you are undefeated...why complain about Will starting??? he is playing very good football as of right now....why complain???

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you at the game beano5? Did you see all the crappy passes he threw. and you think were 3-0 all because of will cole.

Give credit to:

1. God

2. O-line

3. Our bend but not break defense

4. Our speed

5. Shawn Brooks,ansel ponder,chase joyner

Will has done nothing good to help us win games that Eric, Jake Lilly or Levi Beckett couldnt have done. Which is basically hand the ball off

Guest BEAVERTAIL

what about the opening drive? he completed numerous passes. 15 of 25 is pretty good for any high school qb. Cole has led bluefield on long drives by passing in al 3 games, throwing all kinds of passes. Quit dissing on the kid cause he is from graham and his parents have money. Last time i checked he goes to bluefield high and wears a beaver jersey, so you should at least support him. not to mention he was perfect in the win loss column.

[ QUOTE ]

The ball didnt slip through his hands. the ball was released about 1 whole second before the WC defender even touched him

I heard something funny tonight during the game, and old redneck guy was standing behind the bluefield sideline and said "Hey little freddy, I think you better put in that McClanahan because that Cole boy is sucking"

lol, I thought it was funny

[ QUOTE ]

McClanahan would never had made that throw.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao....

yea and jerry springer isint white...

[/ QUOTE ]

he wouldn't have everyone and there mother knows that e's arm aint that strong

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly GMan...

[ QUOTE ]

dont understand this...Bluefield is undefeated and you are still bitching about Will Cole getting the starting spot???? i know you are friends with McClanahan and all but Will is playing well so far and you are undefeated...why complain about Will starting??? he is playing very good football as of right now....why complain???

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you at the game beano5? Did you see all the crappy passes he threw. and you think were 3-0 all because of will cole.

Give credit to:

1. God

2. O-line

4. Our speed

Will has done nothing good to help us win games that Eric, Jake Lilly or Levi Beckett couldnt have done. Which is basically hand the ball off

[/ QUOTE ]

o-line? they are def a weak link right now... especially at center but i expect them to improve.

ill give credit to our defense...

speed does help, in addition to turf.

How does ansel get the ball? Brooks has more fumbles than cole has INTs... Joyner dropped a couple of passes.

So you see, everyone makes mistakes, they are high school kids. Its expected. Cole makes mistakes too. But he deserves credit for when he plays well too, and he is playing well. leave him alone and accept the fact that he is the qb and playing well enough to lead his team to 3 victories.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

to be honest the drop was a lil behind the reciever thus the reason for the drop

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly GMan...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give credit to:

1. God

2. O-line

4. Our speed

[/ QUOTE ]

o-line? they are def a weak link right now... especially at center but i expect them to improve.

ill give credit to our defense...

speed does help, in addition to turf.

How does ansel get the ball? Brooks has more fumbles than cole has INTs... Joyner dropped a couple of passes.

So you see, everyone makes mistakes, they are high school kids. Its expected. Cole makes mistakes too. But he deserves credit for when he plays well too, and he is playing well. leave him alone and accept the fact that he is the qb and playing well enough to lead his team to 3 victories.

[/ QUOTE ]

false they are tied with 1 a piece plus u can not tell me a more impactive player for the beavers on both sides then brooks

Guest BEAVERTAIL

if it hits both your hands then you should catch it. False brooks has two fumbles, only one was a turnover however. And i think brooks is one of the best players we have, maybe the best, however he makes mistakes too. But no one runs home to get on the message board and talk crap about him like they do cole.

[ QUOTE ]

what about the opening drive? he completed numerous passes. 15 of 25 is pretty good for any high school qb. Cole has led bluefield on long drives by passing in al 3 games, throwing all kinds of passes. Quit dissing on the kid cause he is from graham and his parents have money. Last time i checked he goes to bluefield high and wears a beaver jersey, so you should at least support him. not to mention he was perfect in the win loss column.

[/ QUOTE ]

But take away the "gimme" completions on the last drive and the TD pass and he was 8-16 for 79 yards with 1 INT...no one at the game was impressed...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

there are no such thing as gimme completions. late in the game, with the pressure on, you can not tell me evry one of those passes were gimmes. He played a great game... let it go. I wont be surprised if he is Player of the week... and i hope he gets it.

understand this:

mcclannahan was not the number 1 QB in the state last year. he did not have a small margin of int's. he did not come through all the time in clutch situations, but threw a couple of int's in those situations. in fact, other than the fact that he was a 2-yr starter at QB, the only thing he has on will skill wise is his running ability. and that's not even the best in the state! he wasn't a horrible QB at all, but he wasn't the best ever, either.

will has proved in the last 3 games that he can throw the ball accurately, long, hard, and to more than one receiver. and like eric, he makes bad passes all the same. the team doesn't need an all-american. they need somebody who's going to get the ball to people who can make plays. this "hype" was created for eric because he lost is starting position to a transfer who had a bad year last year. but lets think about how much time he had, and how many dependable receivers he had. the margins are nothing compared to what he has this year.

he gets the job done, and hasn't lost a game for us yet. he's proven to be solid in high-pressure situations for us, and has come through for us every game. he improves every game. and he's taking charge more and more in the huddle every game.

gossip is fun. but it's time you gossip about something worth gossiping over. PLEASE trust coach simon's decisions, for he has proven his decisions are for the best or else he wouldn't have 2 state titles under his belt.

if we are going to go all the way this year, we need the support. not negativity. if eric accepts the fact that he's not starting, why dont you. he starts on defense and is doing superb. he may not like the fact that will is starting over him, but how do you think bednarik feels? ill tell you. he LOVES that he's not the starting QB at WV anymore. you know why?! because White is doing great.

will is doing great. don't take that away from him. if you have a personal problem with him because of his family or whatever, that's fine. but his character in the school and on the field is outstanding as of right now considering the circumstances he has to play under with everybody waiting on ONE SINGLE screw up so they can chant for eric. and until he proves me wrong i'll stick by him. and even then i'll stick by him. even mcclannahan had off games.

and by the way, i'm very good friends with eric. more so than will. and he know how i feel. and he understands. that's why he's doing his part where the team needs him most on defense. he will do whatever it takes to win, even if it means playing only D. because he respects his teammates. and it's shown the last 3 friday's on his terrific defense. give cole some credit.