best high school offense

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

What is the best offense a high school team can run?

I believe the wing T, if it is taught right, like in giles for example, (sorry JMONROE just isnt as complex) is the best.buts thats my opinion

[ QUOTE ]

I believe the wing T, if it is taught right, like in giles for example, (sorry JMONROE just isnt as complex) is the best.buts thats my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

unless they changed Giles dont run a wing t, they run the single wing... and you are right it is so hard to defend.. then yuo have the deleware wing t like gainer ran at big creek and blfd. but now the best offenses seem to be the spread like richlands is running, you can take an under size line and still win. my favorite is the pro I, love a full back rumbling and bumbling up the field.. hey diddle diddle we coming up the middle.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unless they changed Giles dont run a wing t, they run the single wing... and you are right it is so hard to defend.. then yuo have the deleware wing t like gainer ran at big creek and blfd. but now the best offenses seem to be the spread like richlands is running, you can take an under size line and still win. my favorite is the pro I, love a full back rumbling and bumbling up the field.. hey diddle diddle we coming up the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry i often get wing t and single wing messed up. But i agree that the Power I works well, and is one of my favorite offenses too. But im not sold on the spread, though richlands seems to run it well. But there are teams like princeton who cant run it at all. I think you have to have very athletic players to run the spread and most high schools dont have these players. IMO

Totaly depends on the personel. What works for Bluefield or Mount View doesn't necessarily work for James Monroe or Richlands, and vise-versu.

I'm probably a little bigger fan of the single wing than most of my Monroe Countymen. Vital to it working is that you MUST have a good O-line, and 2 or 3 descent backs. Right now, JM has Robertson, Keisel and Tincher in the game nearly every play, and the each came score from anywhere, I think were going to be tuff to stop consistantly this year with our 245 lb average o-line blocking for those 3. This is probably the best offese to use if your passing game isn't that good, usually our's isn't but it's better than most think, We just don't have to throw most of the time.

QUOTE:

I liked Don Jackson's offense much better at James Monroe, he had some exciting teams

I've come to like the single wing better then I did when we first started it..Don Jackson was a good coach. He did a great job.

[ QUOTE ]

I liked Don Jackson's offense much better at James Monroe, he had some exciting teams

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a system that was very hard to defend when you had a QB that could run it. They had the at Peterstown a few years, but at James Monroe they tried to throw in situations they had no business doing, the playoff games with Wyoming East and Dupont in 1998 & 99 come to mind.

Had Jackson coached a team like Bluefield, Princeton or even Woodrw or Mount View with that system, the results for the competition would've been frightening. Don Jackson built several good teams, and so has Witt, unfortunatly even with the single wingle, he's made the same mistakes as his predicessor. JM had a good shot to tie up the game with Bluefield, and get the lead over Tolsia, when ill-timed (and very unecessary) pass plays were called, resulting in 4th quarter INT's that were pretty much nails in the coffin.

Last year you could tell that Witt wanted to throw more, and did so right off the bat. After 3 games and the Mavericks throwing only 4 or 5 passes, so far, I think he may be re-dedicating the teams commitment to running in the ball. We'll see if it helps, I hope so.

The best offense is definitely a spread. The key is to create mismatches all over the field with motion and alignment. You don't have to have mega talent or size to be successful (BYU), and zone blocking keeps the zone running game active. Having no need for mega size or speed levels the playing ground for schools with limited resources. It would help though to have a QB that can read defenses and adjust at the line.

The single wing has been good to us as well. Its concept is completely opposite of the new formations. Its all about being physical and good blocking. A lot of people dont realize is that the way the single wing draws the whole defense up to the line, is exactly what its designed to do. If you are where you should be in you blocking schemes, and the team works well as a team, and gets there job done, you will have big play after big play. The single wing can be beutiful when it is clicking. You line up to a defense, that looks like there is no way you'll get a yard, and then its like you just bust whole in that defense. But if you play a real good team that feeds off momentum, the SW can be your enemy as well. Its usually not a comeback offense.

[ QUOTE ]

When Bluefield had allen carter at FB last year at Bluefield, they ran alot of I-formation which worked really well with him

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they used Carter enough when they had him...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

When Bluefield had allen carter at FB last year at Bluefield, they ran alot of I-formation which worked really well with him

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they used Carter enough when they had him...

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree...and im glad that they have gone to the shotgun a little more, instead of the flexbone. The flexbone isnt bad, but its designed to run the option out of, which we dont do that often.

His dedication to one facit football is manifesting again. This O is productive until??? His complaciency about the pass play manifest itsself during tough times. Single wing has a lot to offer. The spred is looking good ofcourse the right personnel have to be in place. What about playing the right offenese for the players that you have is diversity impossible. Fred changes and it is working.

The Double Wing offense is the best for high school IMO. It is easy to teach and you always have the players to run this offense that was developed by DOn Markham, Hugh Wyatt. Six inch splits, Power, Misdirection and bodies flying everywhere. I think this O set the National record for points with 880 in 14 games.

Guest BB_TWEEDER

The single wing is only good if you have a great Line. A decent line cant block for the single wing. ANY amount of penatration destroys it "any offense blows up with penatration", but with a spread offenes or shotgun offense if the line doesnt hold there blocks good enough you have the chance to create something almost every play, but with the single wing the chances of creating something out of nothing wont happen more than it will happen, but granted GILES has had success over the many of years with it. Go back and look and nearly every GILES team had a great line. It isnt what the best offense is, but how well the system works. And hands down GILES has the best system in this side of the state.