Ponder gets BDT Player of the Week...

bluefieldRocks

BLUEFIELD  For two games, Ansel Ponder had been double-teamed by opposing defenses, and had caught eight passes for 104 yards and no touchdowns.

He knew better times were ahead.

“I felt like I played a lot better last week for my team,†Ponder said. “The other weeks I played all right, but I really didn’t do what I can do. Last week was a lot better for me.â€Â

But not for William Campbell. The Generals chose not to double-team the talented 6-foot-2 senior receiver. They paid the price.

“You’ve got to give him a lot of credit, he really played well,†Generals’ head coach Brad Bradley said. “I think he had a breakout game tonight.â€Â

Definitely. Ponder caught 10 passes for 113 yards, including a 26-yard dart with 25 seconds left on the clock to lead Bluefield to a 14-7 win over the Generals last Friday at Mitchell Stadium.

For that performance, Ponder is the recipient of the Pocahontas Coal Association/Bluefield Daily Telegraph Player of the Week Award.

“It’s nice to be recognized that I’m out here working hard and I get noticed for it,†Ponder said. “I’m happy for it, but I’m more just happy that I finally came through on the field.

“I’m not too much worried about getting noticed because I know I can do it, it’s just a fact of doing it.â€Â

He did it on Friday. Bluefield (3-0) head coach Fred Simon felt it was time for Ponder to have a breakthrough game. He did.

“We looked at film and we thought we had been slighting him a little bit the last few weeks,†Simon said. “We felt like it was time to go ahead to give him every opportunity we could to use his ability because he has worked so hard.

“He took advantage of every time he got the ball and took very good advantage of it.â€Â

It’s not the first time Ponder has reached double figures in catches. He had 10 receptions last year in a win over top-ranked Scott.

“I would probably rate it one of my better games because I got the game-winning touchdown,†Ponder said. “It just felt good because I was kind of not doing as good in the other games and came out and had a big game so that was real exciting for me.â€Â

Ponder, who is one of the area’s top basketball players as well, has a pair of attributes that can’t be taught. He’s used those abilities to become a game-breaking threat for the Beavers in either sport.

“He has height, he has speed, and you have those two combinations it really gives you an advantage over defensive backs,†Simon said. “Especially when you have a quarterback that can get you the ball and we feel like we have both of those situations which makes it unique.â€Â

His biggest play on Friday came on the Beavers’ final play. Tied at 7-7 in the final minutes, Will Cole drove Bluefield down the field, completing 7-of-9 passes and hitting four different receivers along the way. Three of those went to Ponder, including the last one.

While Ponder’s performance might merit more gimmick defenses as the season progresses to keep him away from the ball, Ponder knows that won’t be easy with the talent around him. That was proven during that final drive.

“I’m looking to get double-teamed, but my teammates come through so you can’t really do that too much,†Ponder said. “They can’t really double-team because they’ll be hurting in another situation.

“Shaun Brooks is a good running back, and Chase Joyner is another good wide receiver. We’ve got a good team so really the defense would be hurting themselves if they double-team.â€Â

Ponder made them pay for the single coverage on a 3rd-and-17 from the Generals’ 26-yard line. A miss here and the Beavers might have had to try a field goal, and they’d already missed a pair of attempts.

“Will told me he was going to hit me on a backside post,†Ponder said. “I ran a post and got behind the corner and he made the good pass and the line blocked and it was a good play.â€Â

As Ponder left the line of scrimmage, he sprinted past William Campbell’s Spencer Slayton toward the end zone.

“I kind of just beat him to the spot and he didn’t turn his hips quick enough and I got behind him and I just beat him and out-ran him,†Ponder said. “I waited for a minute because I didn’t think he was going to throw it.

“I didn’t know what was going on, but then I seen that he looked off and then he looked back towards me and I had the corner beat and he made a good pass.â€Â

Ponder has caught touchdown passes before, but this may have come at the most dramatic moment.

“It’s the first big touchdown catch I’ve had before and it felt great,†Ponder said. “Finally I came through and made a great catch.â€Â

Simon added: “He made a really nice route, he ran it sharp and well. We had plenty of time to throw the ball, and the quarterback made an excellent read and an excellent throw.â€Â

After the game Ponder quickly deflected the credit, from Cole to his offensive line, which helped the Beavers drive 67 yards on 13 plays in just under five minutes.

“First of all, I credit my line because if they don’t block, then Will can’t throw the pass, and then I credit Will because he threw the pass,†Ponder said. “I came through with a play and caught it.â€Â

Ponder also thanked a higher power after the game, crediting God for answered prayers.

“It is important that I pray,†Ponder said. “I asked for Him to help me in the game and He did. At the end of the day I made a big play for my team.â€Â

Amen.

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_255235549.html?keyword=topstory

[ QUOTE ]

That's a no-brainer choice... wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Were his accomplishments outstanding and worthy of the award? Yes, they were.........Was it a no brainer choice?

No, it was not........Austin Fuller was also worthy of the award with over 200 yards of total offense .......he scored 4 td's in 3 different ways....punt return, rushing (2 tds), and receiving......he also had an interception deep in RHS territory that ended a drive.....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Were his accomplishments outstanding and worthy of the award? Yes, they were.........Was it a no brainer choice?

No, it was not........Austin Fuller was also worthy of the award with over 200 yards of total offense .......he scored 4 td's in 3 different ways....punt return, rushing (2 tds), and receiving......he also had an interception deep in RHS territory that ended a drive.....

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO...I should have seen that one coming a thousand miles away. Just as the sun will rise in the east and set in the west Richlands people will be offended if you believe someone is better than their own. Please forgive my ignorance, what the heck was I thinking...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO...I should have seen that one coming a thousand miles away. Just as the sun will rise in the east and set in the west Richlands people will be offended if you believe someone is better than their own. Please forgive my ignorance, what the heck was I thinking...

[/ QUOTE ]

you have some pretty serious self-esteem problems..... I did not say that Ponder wasn't worthy either..

The thing about you, Rules, is that you do the exact same things you accuse Richlands fans of.......

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have some pretty serious self-esteem problems..... I did not say that Ponder wasn't worthy either..

The thing about you, Rules, is that you do the exact same things you accuse Richlands fans of.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I'm a walking contradiction. I always hijack threads about Richlands and turn them into something about Bluefield... smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon B_R, you know the sun NEVER sets on Richlands...they are the reason it shines...

Congrats to Ponder!!! What I liked best, from the story, was he gave the credit to God---sounds like a young man with a good foundation to his life.

Austin, also, was honored this week for his accomplishments. He was chosen as player of the week on WJHL TV-Johnson City. Was a great tv promo on their sports segment!!

CONGRATULATIONS ON TWO FINE YOUNG MEN WHO HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH ATHLETIC ABILITY AND ON COMMUNITIES WHO RECOGNIZE AND HONOR THEIR EFFORTS!!!

[ QUOTE ]

I always hijack threads about Richlands and turn them into something about Bluefield... smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Pardon, I didn't realize this was a thread about Bluefield.....I thought it was about the BDT Player of the Week.....

[ QUOTE ]

The difference between ponder and fuller is that Ponder won the game with his TD. Fuller didnt

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh.....Fuller scored ALL four tds for Richlands.......I dare say they needed his points as bad as Bluefield needed Ponder's.....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon B_R, you know the sun NEVER sets on Richlands...they are the reason it shines...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. Again, what was I thinking? I shouldn't even speak or write that name any longer because I am not worthy do so such. Please forgive me and my shortcomings...

Come on kids---you both have put in enough jabs at each other!! Both ATHLETES WERE HONORED FOR THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS. Just different organizations. Don't take away from their day by making the thread personal.

[ QUOTE ]

Not to worry....he and I have a well defined relationship.....he envies me and I despise him......

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, you figured it out. I'm so embarrassed.

Anyway, congratulations to young Mr. Ponder on a well deserved honor. Let's get another one in two weeks...

[ QUOTE ]

I do believe Ansel had a great night against a single A team. But is unworthy of this distinction.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny coming from a fan of team/program that has built itself on playing the easiest competition the state has to offer over the past decade. William Campbell is a single A that's 100 times better than the likes of Narrows and PikeView. Please don't tell me that you're one of these narrow-minded people that believe school size matters? That a small school cannot produce an outstanding football team simply because they're a small school. I'd love to see James Monroe face William Campbell. They have an opening, drop the creampuffs and give'em a call...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you have some serious issues with Richlands. You are the one that gets bent out of shape if someone even mentions Richlands or one of their players. All that parsons said was that it wasnt a "no-brainer" because he felt that Fuller had an equally great game, and you blow up and start making facetious remarks about Richlands. You need to get over it and accept the fact that Richalnds fans read this board and have every right to post on here. Even if it happens to be about their own players...for some strange reason.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

forget BDT player of the week... AUSTIN FULLER FOR HEISMAN! lol

[ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that if one of our players, one of you're players or one of anybodys players has slightly over a 100 yard game in any catagory, is this worthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is when they play receiver catch 10 passes for 113 yards and the game-winning touchdown in the closing seconds against a quality opponent. Player of the week shouldn't be based solely on putting up lofty numbers because teams are different and they play different level of competition om a weekly basis. No one from Bluefield is going to put up four or five touchdowns in a single game and 200 yards rushing because Bluefield believes in a team concept where no single player is the primary offensive weapon. Bluefield spreads the ball around to various players, usually no less than four different backs and two or three receivers.

The award should be based the importance of the player in the game and on the final outcome as well as their stats. I'm not impressed by a player putting up 250 rushing yards and multiple touchdowns against an inferior opponent. I'm more impressed by a player putting up solid numbers against top notch competition and delivering in the clutch. That's MY view of how any P.O.W. award should be handed out. Everyone has their own view, opinion, etc.

You have made my point for me. Thank you. I don't expect that any recognition [exlemptlory] recognition should be given for less than great performances against lesser opponants. Single coverage against a player the likes of Ansel shows a lack of scouting or an ignorance of football in general.

[ QUOTE ]

Single coverage against a player the likes of Ansel shows a lack of scouting or an ignorance of football in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't ignorance, it was arrogance. William Campbell was arrogant in that they felt they could defend him one-on-one and continued doing so most of the night. You could see #7 from WC "jawing" at Ponder a number of times, but Ponder let his play do his talking. And single coverage or not, a player still has to make the plays and Ponder did just that, including the biggest play of the night.

We will see about this later. We cannot agree. Who is next Cole, Lilly, Brooks,. BDT always tries to be undescriminating. We can find a place for these players in the near future I hope.