Ponder gets BDT Player of the Week...

bluefieldRocks

It is when they play receiver catch 10 passes for 113 yards and the game-winning touchdown in the closing seconds against a quality opponent. Player of the week shouldn't be based solely on putting up lofty numbers because teams are different and they play different level of competition om a weekly basis. No one from Bluefield is going to put up four or five touchdowns in a single game and 200 yards rushing because Bluefield believes in a team concept where no single player is the primary offensive weapon. Bluefield spreads the ball around to various players, usually no less than four different backs and two or three receivers.

The award should be based the importance of the player in the game and on the final outcome as well as their stats. I'm not impressed by a player putting up 250 rushing yards and multiple touchdowns against an inferior opponent. I'm more impressed by a player putting up solid numbers against top notch competition and delivering in the clutch. That's MY view of how any P.O.W. award should be handed out. Everyone has their own view, opinion, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

B R I am suprised by this post. Are you inferring that Powell Valley (who was undefeated) was an inferior opponent to Richlands? Believe me they weren't. Richlands was behind at half-time and Austin was challenged to step up by his coach. If Richlands did not have a team concept they would not be going for their 33rd regular season win. Austin stepped up for his team as one of the senior leaders, not to put up lofty stats. Accepting the challenge given him at half time, showed he was ready to step up in a clutch situation and help the team win. Ansel Ponder does not need you, me or anyone to defend his P.O.W. award, he was well deserving of it.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not impressed by a player putting up 250 rushing yards and multiple touchdowns against an inferior opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a fool would not have impressed with Austin Fuller's play against Powell Valley. He did it within the team concept.

The following is a quote from Bucky Dent's article on the game in the Bristol newspaper:

"As post-game traffic slowly inched out of Bullitt Park, Powell Valley quarterback Cedric Mitchell talked about the man who decided Friday night’s marquee matchup.

"Every time they had to have a play," Mitchell said, "Austin Fuller made it for them.""

Ansel Ponder and Austin Fuller were almost definates to win the award atleast once this year. Ponder had a good game last week, with a game winning TD catch. He was well deserving of the award. Fuller was too, recieving "Special Mention". But it's not like this was the only week to win it. Fuller will win it pretty soon.

[ QUOTE ]

It is when they play receiver catch 10 passes for 113 yards and the game-winning touchdown in the closing seconds against a quality opponent. Player of the week shouldn't be based solely on putting up lofty numbers because teams are different and they play different level of competition om a weekly basis. No one from Bluefield is going to put up four or five touchdowns in a single game and 200 yards rushing because Bluefield believes in a team concept where no single player is the primary offensive weapon. Bluefield spreads the ball around to various players, usually no less than four different backs and two or three receivers.

The award should be based the importance of the player in the game and on the final outcome as well as their stats. I'm not impressed by a player putting up 250 rushing yards and multiple touchdowns against an inferior opponent. I'm more impressed by a player putting up solid numbers against top notch competition and delivering in the clutch. That's MY view of how any P.O.W. award should be handed out. Everyone has their own view, opinion, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

B R I am suprised by this post. Are you inferring that Powell Valley (who was undefeated) was an inferior opponent to Richlands? Believe me they weren't. Richlands was behind at half-time and Austin was challenged to step up by his coach. If Richlands did not have a team concept they would not be going for their 33rd regular season win. Austin stepped up for his team as one of the senior leaders, not to put up lofty stats. Accepting the challenge given him at half time, showed he was ready to step up in a clutch situation and help the team win. Ansel Ponder does not need you, me or anyone to defend his P.O.W. award, he was well deserving of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my goodness, do you see what I mean? I wasn't refering to Richlands, Powell Valley, or Austin Fuller. Despite what some may believe the world doesn't revolve about Richlands and Austin Fuller. And everytime someone says something obscure they aren't talking about Richlands. There's no doubt that the Fuller kid is an excellent player; he's earned a scholarship offer from VT already. Again though, that doesn't mean football in SWVA revolves around the kid. Other kids should be able to win awards without Richlands "fans" throwing up the stats of Fuller in a way to try and undermind the accomplishments of others.

The BDT does a pretty solid job of giving the P.O.W. to the, or one of the, most deserving kids week. Now, the WV high school P.O.W. is a different story. They base that award 99.9% on stats. They could careless who the stats came against, how long the coach left the player in against inferior competition to run-up the score and pad stats.

[ QUOTE ]

B R I am suprised by this post. Are you inferring that Powell Valley (who was undefeated) was an inferior opponent to Richlands?

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE!!! EVERYONE is an "inferior opponent" when they play Richlands...you should know that...just read the board...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

B R I am suprised by this post. Are you inferring that Powell Valley (who was undefeated) was an inferior opponent to Richlands?

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE!!! EVERYONE is an "inferior opponent" when they play Richlands...you should know that...just read the board...

[/ QUOTE ]

No one says anything about Richlands on here anymore...and it is because of threads like this. When someone does mention them, then you all act like cynical jerks and make that fan feel bad for even mentioning his team. You all have officially succeeded in running me off from this board. This crybaby stuff is getting really old...no matter what anyone posts, weather it is from Richlands or any other team outside of the Bluefield area (VA or WV), they get bashed. It is really dumb and childish. Grow up and threat this board for what it is, a place where a bunch of has-beens can talk about the sports that we love. However, you all have turned into a roast of certain schools.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one says anything about Richlands on here anymore...and it is because of threads like this. When someone does mention them, then you all act like cynical assholes and make that fan feel bad for even mentioning his team. You all have officially succeeded in running me off from this board. This crybaby stuff is getting really old...no matter what anyone posts, weather it is from Richlands or any other team outside of the Bluefield area (VA or WV), they get bashed. It is really dumb and childish. Grow up and threat this board for what it is, a place where a bunch of has-beens can talk about the sports that we love. However, you all have turned into a roast of certain schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were Crying? Are you serious? last time i checked this was a thread about ansel ponder being POW for the BDT. But no, here come some richlands fan saying that Austin Fuller clearly deserved it and it wasnt a no brainer choice. Then the crying began about how every one of Austin Fuller's TDs were amazing and how every touchdown and big play was because of him and how some biased newspaper reporter said he was SO AMAZING. well congrats. im sick of hearing about him, richlands, and how we always whine. Stick to your own threads.

Hey Gman, can we make a special board just for richlands? For all their amazing accomplishments? Maybe one for austin fuller too?

Pretty please?

[ QUOTE ]

Its getting pathetic when I cannot even post an article about a bluefield player winning the BDT player of the week without people arguing and saying he didnt deserve it..

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can show me one place where someone from Richalnds said that he didnt deserve the award then I will retract everything I just said and ask Gman to delete my account and never post on this board again...

[ QUOTE ]

last time i checked this was a thread about ansel ponder being POW for the BDT. But no, here come some richlands fan saying that Austin Fuller clearly deserved it and it wasnt a no brainer choice. Then the crying began about how every one of Austin Fuller's TDs were amazing and how every touchdown and big play was because of him and how some biased newspaper reporter said he was SO AMAZING. well congrats. im sick of hearing about him, richlands, and how we always whine. Stick to your own threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys drunk, hallucinating, or just plain illiterate?????

Here is my original post:

[ QUOTE ]

Were his accomplishments outstanding and worthy of the award? Yes, they were.........Was it a no brainer choice?

No, it was not........Austin Fuller was also worthy of the award with over 200 yards of total offense .......he scored 4 td's in 3 different ways....punt return, rushing (2 tds), and receiving......he also had an interception deep in RHS territory that ended a drive.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not say that Ponder did not deserve the award.......all I disputed was Rules saying that it was a "no brainer."