Point syster

AbndonFan

For defeating:

AAA - 24 pts

AA - 20 pts

A - 16 pts

+2 pts. for each game won by a defeated opponent.

For losing:

AAA - 12 pts

AA - 8 pts

A - 4 pts

+ 1 pt. for each game won by a team you lost to.

Abingdon would look like this:

John Battle - 16 (victory) + 2 (1 win by JB) = 18 pts.

Patrick Henry - 16 (victory) + 4 (2 wins by PH) = 20 pts.

Richlands - 8 (loss) + 4 (4 wins by Ric) = 12 pts.

Tazewell - 20 (victory) + 0 (0 wins by Taz) = 20 pts.

Total Pts. = 70

Games Played = 4

VHSL Rating = 17.5

Graham would look like this:

Bluefield - 4 (loss) + 4 (4 wins by Blu) = 8 pts.

Christiansburg - 8 (loss) + 2 (2 wins by C'burg) = 10 pts.

Blacksburg - 8 (loss) + 2 (2 wins by B'burg) = 10 pts.

Marion - 20 (victory) + 4 (2 wins by Mar) = 24 pts.

Richlands - 20 (victory) + 8 (4 wins by Ric) = 28 pts.

Total Pts. = 80

Games Played = 5

VHSL Rating = 16.0

Yeh, the "soccer moms" from NOVA came up with that system a few years ago...instead of getting trophies for "participating", you get points. Actually, it does reward a team for playing bigger teams, even if they lose...cuts down on some of the loading the schedule with cupcakes.

Richlands:

Gate City - 16 (victory) + 4 (2 wins by GC) = 20 pts.

Honaker - 16 (victory) + 4 (2 wins by Hon) = 20 pts.

Powell Valley - 16 (victory) + 4 (2 wins by PV) = 20 pts.

Abingdon - 20 (victory) + 6 (3 wins by Ab) = 26 pts.

Graham - 8 (loss) + 2 (2 wins by Gra) = 10 pts.

Total Pts. = 96

Games Played = 5

VHSL Rating = 19.2

[ QUOTE ]

Another reason that the Virginia playoff system is so screwy, Bluefield has a larger enrollment than Graham yet is considered A while Graham is considered AA. Go figure that one out kiddies...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the VHSL's system is TOTALLY nuts...needs to be completely overhauled but the idiots in Charlottesville won't do it.

Virginia's got the most retarted system I know of, it's even worse than the BCS.

Last year Glenvar went 9-1, and missed the playoffs, at the same time, another team with a 4-6 record (don't remember who exactly, but I remember it from the playoff Pick'm game) got in.

No body can even try to justify this, and will make themself look stupid trying.

It was Grayson Co at 5-5 that got in over a 9-1 Glenvar team. Grayson Co proceeded to get spanked in the first round by Giles. The auto births for winning the district need to be eliminated IMO. That would go a long way to helping out in correctly getting teams into the playoffs.

[ QUOTE ]

It was Grayson Co at 5-5 that got in over a 9-1 Glenvar team. Grayson Co proceeded to get spanked in the first round by Giles. The auto births for winning the district need to be eliminated IMO. That would go a long way to helping out in correctly getting teams into the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you eliminate the auto berths then you might as well not have districts. Then, teams can load up on creampuffs, go 10-0, make the playoffs and then get embarrassed. Nothing like seeing a 10-0 or 9-1 team get beat by 50 points in the first round of the playoffs by a team that went 6-4/7-3 during the regular season...happens a lot in WV.

The VHSL has taken steps to alleviate this problem by allowing Regions to expand their playoffs to up to eight teams. If your Region didn't expand its playoffs and another 9-1 team misses the playoffs, don't blame the VHSL...blame the ADs and Principals in your Region.

Wasn't there a team in Region C last season who would have made the playoffs if they had LOST one more game? Seems like it was if James River had lost to Covington, JR would have made the playoffs or something. Had something to do with who got the automatic bid from the Pioneer District.

Or no, I think I remember what it was. Wouldn't Glenvar had made the playoffs if they had lost or forfeited their game against Covington because that would have given Covington the auto-bid from the Pioneer and would have left James River out and Glenvar in for a wild card spot. That's pretty messed up when at the end of the season you are like "well if we had just lost one more game we woulda made the playoffs."

[ QUOTE ]

Or no, I think I remember what it was. Wouldn't Glenvar had made the playoffs if they had lost or forfeited their game against Covington because that would have given Covington the auto-bid from the Pioneer and would have left James River out and Glenvar in for a wild card spot. That's pretty messed up when at the end of the season you are like "well if we had just lost one more game we woulda made the playoffs."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that was the case. Covington would have had a higher rating than James River and would have won the district. James River's rating was lower than Glenvar's and Glenvar would have been in based on the ratings.

Did they change the rule about a 3-way tie in the district or something? Cause I remember back a few years ago when Lebanon, George Wythe, and Northwood all tied for first in the Hogo and no one got an automatic bid, they all had to vie for a wildcard spot. I think thats how it was, I don't think the points used to decide a district champ until maybe last season or the season before last.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Another reason that the Virginia playoff system is so screwy, Bluefield has a larger enrollment than Graham yet is considered A while Graham is considered AA. Go figure that one out kiddies...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the VHSL's system is TOTALLY nuts...needs to be completely overhauled but the idiots in Charlottesville won't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I myself would like to see one champion in each classification.va could do it if they went to 4 classifications.AAAA,AAA,AA,A

[ QUOTE ]

you don't have a clue what you're talking about

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that Helper...sounds like he's on to something...or should I say, on something...LOL

That penalizes good teams from bad districts.

I think the 8 teams going to the playoffs bit will help out a lot, it's a lot harder for someone that went 6-4 to whine about being left out than someone who went 9-1 or 8-2.

How is money split between the districts, regions, and VHSL during the regular season and playoffs anyway? I thought the VHSL made most of their $$$ from the state tournaments (i.e. the semifinals and finals), and that the region and district tournaments were cash cows for the regions and districts.