Who is the area's best rusher?

fieldgeneral

You may be right, but I doubt seriously that it was Heath Miller's rushing record he broke at Honaker. Also I doubt if it was his TD record either, unless it included passing TD's. I know he ran some and scored quite a few TD's but I find it hard to believe that he held those records. Now all passing records is a different story.

I def think its Brooks by far! His field vision is impressive every game! When you see him on film he really proves that he is on another level! Another thing about Brooks is in every interview he gives full credit to his line and its always a "WE not ME" attitude... but not just with brooks but the whole team!!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

without any doubt, brooks is the best.

i think fieldgeneral should read this since he thinks that brooks is such a bad person...

Mr. Brooks

Shaun Brooks named the Player of the Week

By JED LOCKETT

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — Someone might not think that a person so unassuming as Shaun Brooks could make a big impact on the football field. Yet that is exactly what the senior at Bluefield High School has done.

Last Friday night at Mitchell Stadium, Brooks displayed that ability once again as he gained 147 yards on 17 carries and scored an important touchdown to lead the Beavers to a 14-7 win over the James Monroe Mavericks. It was a performance that almost certainly gave Bluefield home-field advantage for the playoffs and a performance more than worthy of the Pocahontas Coal Association/Bluefield Daily Telegraph Player of the Week award.

True to his nature, he credited his night running the football to his teammates.

“We’ve got some good linemen and stuff,†Brooks said. “We’ve got some good alternating linemen that come in, too and give our (starting) linemen rest. As the linemen work harder, I work harder and it just shows I won’t be able to do it without the linemen and the wide receivers and the other people blocking for me and stuff.â€

As for himself, Brooks has just tried to be the best player he can be.

“Everything has been going all right,†Brooks said. “I’ve just been trying to be a good running back ever since I got here, try to be better. Every year, I’ve gotten better.â€

“I’m very pleased with his attitude and his work this year,†said Bluefield head coach Fred Simon. “He works hard in practice. He gives it everything he’s got in the games. You couldn’t ask for anything any better than that, just very pleased and very proud of him so far.â€

Simon is not the only member of the Beavers’ coaching staff that has shown his faith in Brooks.

“The coaches have confidence in me,†Brooks said. “It’s shown me that they know I can do it. When they tell me to do something, I look at it like they’re depending on me. They’ve got trust in me to give me the ball or whatever they do.â€

They trusted him to carry the load last Friday. It showed that they continue to gain trust in his abilities.

“I think he’s definitely done a nice job of definitely trying hard, and we’ve gone to him more because we’re getting more confidence in him all the time,†Simon said. “I think he’s been a workhorse for us lately.â€

On last Friday’s game, Simon said, “What’s kind of neat is if our passing game’s not working very well, we have a good rushing game. I felt like our offensive line did a nice job giving him some holes and the effort was there once he got the holes.â€

As a quintessential team player, Brooks feels a responsibility to show the players coming up how to play his position.

“I feel good being a leader on the team and stuff,†Brooks said. “We’ve got some young players on the team that are on their way. In the future, they’re going to be the star running backs. You make an impact on his life and try to be a star running back.â€

In the classroom, Brooks maintains a B-C average. But he is trying to soak up as much knowledge as they will allow him to.

“I’m learning a lot at Bluefield,†Brooks said. “They’re getting better at the school activities they have through the day. I like my teachers and stuff. We’ll be joking around in class and stuff just so we can feel comfortable.â€

Brooks is looking towards studying something in college not commonly associated with athletes.

“Science is my favorite subject,†Brooks said. “But I like acting. So I’ll probably study theatre. Theatre is just fun. You can show other talent.â€

The Beavers have had a difficult season, facing talented and skilled opponents seemingly every week. Yet Bluefield has overcome each of these opponents and still stands undefeated.

For Brooks, the Beavers’ difficult schedule has not been as hard as one might think.

“Switching from different offenses and different defenses, that’s the only hard thing,†Brooks said. “But other than that, I just look at it like competition. It’s fun. I don’t really go into a game wary and stuff. I like to go in and play and have fun.â€

According to Brooks, Bluefield had not planned on losing this season.

“We planned on going undefeated the whole summer,†Brooks said. “The whole summer, we called each other, ‘We’re going undefeated,’ and all this stuff. This year, we’ve been living up to our words.â€

Brooks has been a main reason why the Beavers have been able to live up to their words. He knows it and Simon knows it.

“Shaun realizes that we definitely depend on him quite a bit,†Simon said, “and as long as he’s willing to give it everything he’s got — he’s a team player. I think he realizes how important he is to the team, too. As long as he continues to do that, we’ll have a chance.

“Nothing’s guaranteed. But as long as he’s really playing as hard as he can play and the other players are doing the same thing, we have a chance. That’s all we can ask.â€

Brooks and the rest of the senior class are asking a lot of themselves. Their goal is to go to Wheeling and win Bluefield’s ninth state championship.

“That’s the main thing that’s been on seniors’ minds,†Brooks said. “That would mean a lot because I went up there in ’05 and when we lost that game it really hurt. We were only sophomores then. But now we’re all seniors and we know how that feels.

“Last year, we went to the first round and got beat by Tolsia. That kind of hit our hearts too. So we’re hoping to do our best in the playoffs, hopefully get home-field advantage throughout all the playoffs.â€