Jordan Roberts 292 yards on 29 carries against bfld..WOW!

wvuraiders

[ QUOTE ]

im getting sick of the officating stuff. Refs dont cheat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you in Charleston Friday night??? You may change your mind...

There were several nonpartisan observers at the game sitting close to me...they were fans of a Charleston area AAA high school, had no ties to either Bluefield or Scott...even they couldn't believe some of the calls the officials were making...one even made the comment, and I'll quote him, "Good Lord, how much did Scott pay these guys tonight???"

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i couldnt believe it when they called Ansel out on that kick return...and then in the first half i think Brooks caught a screen and ran right down the line and scored and the backjudge called a touchdown while the other ref came running in saying he was out...i could see his feet and he was in by a good foot

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There were several nonpartisan observers at the game sitting close to me...they were fans of a Charleston area AAA high school, had no ties to either Bluefield or Scott...even they couldn't believe some of the calls the officials were making...one even made the comment, and I'll quote him, "Good Lord, how much did Scott pay these guys tonight???"

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there, and yeah some of the calls were VERY questionable. Including the out of bounds plays, ansels catch for a td that was brought back was right in front of me and i thought he didnt step out, however, white shoes with a white line can be confusing. Like i said some of the calls i thought werent correct.

That being said, i see things through biased beaver eyes and a lot of times disagree with the calls.

However, i also have a lot of close relations with officials and have watched hundreds (maybe thousands?) of games with an official by my side explaining a lot about officating. There are reasons why some things get called, and some dont. People who do not understand these things often get upset, and complain about what really is the right call. Im not trying to say i know more about football, but i know more about officiating, and i know what to look for on each play.

For example, the 5 yard facemask on will cole was the right call. When the defender pulled him down he pulled straight down. From what i saw cole's head did not jerk any direction, nor did it twist. In this case, thats only a 5 yarder in high school. Its not the grab and let go rule like you see in college and the pros.

Yes, there is offensive encroachment.

and yes, the play is stopped when any defensive player goes into the neutral zone. you dont get free play like in college and pros.

I do think that Scott should have had a late hit call somewhere in that game, a lot of the hits were very questionable...

These are just some of the things that i heard at the game that people were complaining about.

a VERY VERY VERY SMALL percentage of officials cheat. I only know one, and he cheated FOR BLUEFIELD for years. He is the reason Richlands says they got cheated (too young to remember if they really did, but i feel as if they did). He is retired, and actually was at the game and sat two rows in front of me.

The perception that bluefield fans have that they get cheated every game is sad. It almost goes for all fans at every school. Refs are human. They make mistakes. Everyone does.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there, and yeah some of the calls were VERY questionable. Including the out of bounds plays, ansels catch for a td that was brought back was right in front of me and i thought he didnt step out, however, white shoes with a white line can be confusing. Like i said some of the calls i thought werent correct.

That being said, i see things through biased beaver eyes and a lot of times disagree with the calls.

However, i also have a lot of close relations with officials and have watched hundreds (maybe thousands?) of games with an official by my side explaining a lot about officating. There are reasons why some things get called, and some dont. People who do not understand these things often get upset, and complain about what really is the right call. Im not trying to say i know more about football, but i know more about officiating, and i know what to look for on each play.

For example, the 5 yard facemask on will cole was the right call. When the defender pulled him down he pulled straight down. From what i saw cole's head did not jerk any direction, nor did it twist. In this case, thats only a 5 yarder in high school. Its not the grab and let go rule like you see in college and the pros.

Yes, there is offensive encroachment.

and yes, the play is stopped when any defensive player goes into the neutral zone. you dont get free play like in college and pros.

I do think that Scott should have had a late hit call somewhere in that game, a lot of the hits were very questionable...

These are just some of the things that i heard at the game that people were complaining about.

a VERY VERY VERY SMALL percentage of officials cheat. I only know one, and he cheated FOR BLUEFIELD for years. He is the reason Richlands says they got cheated (too young to remember if they really did, but i feel as if they did). He is retired, and actually was at the game and sat two rows in front of me.

The perception that bluefield fans have that they get cheated every game is sad. It almost goes for all fans at every school. Refs are human. They make mistakes. Everyone does.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was pulled to the ground by the face mask it should have been a 15 yarder by rule....see below

9.4.3 Situation H: A1 is tackled by B1 who: (a) grasps A1’s face mask/helmet opening momentarily and lets go; (b) has his hand brush across A1’s face mask; © pulls A1 to the ground by grasping A1’s face mask/helmet opening.

Ruling: There is no penalty in (b). There is a five-yard penalty in (a) and a 15-yard penalty in ©.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

"With an addition to Rule 9-4-2h Penalty, if a player merely grasps an opponent's face mask, a 5-yard penalty will be invoked. Should the player twist, turn or pull the face mask or helmet opening, a 15-yard penalty will be invoked."

In the play, when the facemask was grabbed Cole was already heading to the ground. his facemask was not twisted or turned, and by the term "pull" i interpreted it in the rule as making his head or neck turn. His head was not turned in any way. Yes, to an extent he was brought down by his facemask, but he was also being tackled by 2 other defenders who had already hit him first and had him wrapped up.

I feel that if the head or neck had been jerked around, or been used primarily to bring him down it would have been of the 15 yard variety, but thats my opinion.

I dont officiate football, but thats my interpretation. you may and know more than me. I also wish i had a rulebook at my disposal. I couldnt find a set of rules on the net.

However, if you are a ref i have a feeling that you agree with me that refs dont cheat.

[ QUOTE ]

"With an addition to Rule 9-4-2h Penalty, if a player merely grasps an opponent's face mask, a 5-yard penalty will be invoked. Should the player twist, turn or pull the face mask or helmet opening, a 15-yard penalty will be invoked."

In the play, when the facemask was grabbed Cole was already heading to the ground. his facemask was not twisted or turned, and by the term "pull" i interpreted it in the rule as making his head or neck turn. His head was not turned in any way. Yes, to an extent he was brought down by his facemask, but he was also being tackled by 2 other defenders who had already hit him first and had him wrapped up.

I feel that if the head or neck had been jerked around, or been used primarily to bring him down it would have been of the 15 yard variety, but thats my opinion.

I dont officiate football, but thats my interpretation. you may and know more than me. I also wish i had a rulebook at my disposal. I couldnt find a set of rules on the net.

However, if you are a ref i have a feeling that you agree with me that refs dont cheat.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rule does not say anything about twisting or jerking it says if you grab it and pull....15 yards. Grab it and let it go....5 yards...you are putting things into the rule that is not covered. Officials are to enforce the rules of the game not make them up or apply them inconsistently.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

the first thing quoted was the addition to the rule in 2000 when there was a 5 yard penalty added... those are not my words they are from the NHFS when the rule was changed.