Should the WVSSAC drop to a smaller playoff system?

BeaverHokie

I'm typing this as #1 Bluefield is laying the wood to #16 Roane County. I'm wondering how competitive the #16 team has historically been against #1.

I do know that it used to be an 8-team playoff, as recent as 20-some years ago. I also know that Bluefield has come up from the lower 8 before.

Thoughts...as West Virginia gets smaller and smaller, and more and more consolidation, there seems to be less quality teams below #10 or #12.

Some ideas....12-team playoff. Give the top 4 a bye week, and let #5-#12 play for 4 spots, then pair them against #1-#4.

Idea #2, a 10 team playoff. Give #1-#6 a bye week, and #7-#10 play for 2 spots.

Or...should they revert to 8 teams, where it's 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, and 5-4?

Thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]

I like the 12 team playoff idea.

With blowouts like Bluefield's tonight, the 12 tteam playoff would probably have more competitive games

[/ QUOTE ]

There would still be blowouts in WV AA with only 12 teams. WV AA is always top heavy...the top 3 or 4 teams always blowout everyone in the first, and usually the second rounds.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

in AAA 13(nitro) beat 4(RCB)

in A buffalo beat Gilbert... i think it was 3 v 14.

so no, they shouldnt change it...

I like the NFL-style 12 game ployoff. It would cut down on the 1st round blowouts a little because you wouldn't have as many 10- or 9-1 tema playing 6-4 or 5-5 teams.

I only know of twice that a team outside the top 6 or 8 actually went all the way, once in AA-Mussle man from #16 in 1995, and Wheeling Central in A from #15 I think in 2002. Those are buy far the exeptions. Bluefield got there from #9 in 2002 and either #11 or 12 in 2005, but got beat by 20 and 40 points in those games, but they beat some very good teams to get there.

Overall I think you could make a pretty good arguement that your not doing a mediocre team a favor letting them make the field and get beat by 40 or 50 points, it's a bad way to end an otherwise decent season.

I say keep it at 16. Ky went to 6 classes this year and a bunch of 1 or 2 win teams made the playoffs. Those are the ones that get blown-out (77-0, 72-0, 70-0 & 62-0 have been reported so far), not a 6-4 team.

Also saw a 60-56 game that apparently was NOT an OT game.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm typing this as #1 Bluefield is laying the wood to #16 Roane County. I'm wondering how competitive the #16 team has historically been against #1.

I do know that it used to be an 8-team playoff, as recent as 20-some years ago. I also know that Bluefield has come up from the lower 8 before.

Thoughts...as West Virginia gets smaller and smaller, and more and more consolidation, there seems to be less quality teams below #10 or #12.

Some ideas....12-team playoff. Give the top 4 a bye week, and let #5-#12 play for 4 spots, then pair them against #1-#4.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to quote myself, but I was reading up on Georgia high school football. Georgia has 5 classifications, and there are a total of 420 high schools in Georgia that are part of the classification system. That's enormous. I was startled how big the schools are down here, too.

"The enrollment numbers show Gwinnett County has the seven largest high schools in Georgia: Mill Creek (3,771), Collins Hill (3,643), Brookwood (3,409), Grayson (3,107), Peachtree Ridge (3,051), Berkmar (2,960) and North Gwinnett (2,898).

Forsyth Central, the smallest school slated for Class AAAAA, has 1,851 students"

Does anyone have updated info on how many schools are in each WVSSAC classification? I am guessing it's 40-45 per class.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to quote myself, but I was reading up on Georgia high school football. Georgia has 5 classifications, and there are a total of 420 high schools in Georgia that are part of the classification system. That's enormous. I was startled how big the schools are down here, too.

"The enrollment numbers show Gwinnett County has the seven largest high schools in Georgia: Mill Creek (3,771), Collins Hill (3,643), Brookwood (3,409), Grayson (3,107), Peachtree Ridge (3,051), Berkmar (2,960) and North Gwinnett (2,898).

Forsyth Central, the smallest school slated for Class AAAAA, has 1,851 students"

Does anyone have updated info on how many schools are in each WVSSAC classification? I am guessing it's 40-45 per class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go Grayson Rams--all the way to the dome!!! I watched North Cobb demolish Marietta last night on Comcast Game of the Week. Middleton and Rico Mack are certainly D-1 players for North Cobb.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mill Creek HS (only 4 yrs. new) Grayson HS, Collins Hill HS and N. Gwinnett HS (kids from my sub-div. currently attend) will have their overcrowding alleviated (all in the playoffs I believe) with new high schools being built in the next 2/3 years.

As one high school FB coach stated all this "begetting" hurts you 2/3 yrs. down the road after the birth of the new HS. If a 10 player goes down, you cannot replace him w/a 9, you're now replacing him with a 4 or 3, since your pool is getting reduced w/each new high school being built in your area. The schools that used to be the "powers" are now being challenged by the new kids on the block.

My sub-div. is fighting the redist. now, mtg. scheduled for Nov. 13, as many folks moved into this area for the N.Gwinnett schools (academic and sports.) Even GA admits their classification system has flaws and some would like a new system. So, big, little or in between there's no perfect world in HS football classification.....there's only one thing for sure everyone wants a state title.

talking about the huge GA schools VA is starting to build schools that come close to that size in NOVA AAA schools are consolidating with other AAA schools and making absolutely huge schools causing a serious problem in our classification system

[ QUOTE ]

talking about the huge GA schools VA is starting to build schools that come close to that size in NOVA AAA schools are consolidating with other AAA schools and making absolutely huge schools causing a serious problem in our classification system

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. VA is building new schools and taking kids from these HUGE schools. So instead of having two schools with 3,000 kids each, they build a new school and now have 3 schools with 2,000 kids each, and growing.

They basically did the same thing when they built Hidden Valley High School in Roanoke. They took AAA Cave Spring, which at the time had around 1500 students, and "split" the enrollment creating two AA schools by sending about half or so of the students to Hidden Valley. Now HV has over 1100 students and CS has almost 900.

I don't think VA has consolidated any Class AAA schools in a LONG time...