A Heartwarming Story - Gilliard returns home to coach Tigers

Sources

http://www.cbs59.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=32183&catid=3

Former Bluefield boys basketball coach hopes to lead Princeton to its first state tournament in more than 25 years.

Story by Mike Levin

PRINCETON -- It's a new season for Princeton boys basketball and a whole new era.

Former Bluefield coach Ernie Gilliard has taken over the reigns of the Tigers.

"We're going to change their attitude. There was a lot of disbelief, not only with the players, but even with some individuals in the community," Gilliard said. "I've been asked if I think these kids can win, and the answer to that question is yes."

Gilliard is a 1976 alumnus of Princeton and was a point guard for the Tigers, so when he had the chance to come back home, he took it.

His new players are excited but also a bit tired.

"We've been working a whole lot harder, doing a lot of running, getting in shape. That way we can play for four quarters," Que Wilborn said.

Shane Minnix is the starting shooting guard and number one scoring threat this year for the Tigers.

"I didn't know what to expect," Minnix said. "I knew we were going to run, because Bluefield, they've ran every year he's been there."

T.J. Benners is one of the players who will split time at point guard. He also was a captain of the Tiger football team. This year he said Princeton is going to surprise a lot of people.

"The fans are in for an awakening. They're going to see a different style of basketball, a lot more W's coming in this year," Benners said.

Gilliard said it was hard to leave Bluefield, which he coached to four straight state tourney appearances, but he also believes the Beavers will be OK.

"It was tough, but I felt Bluefield's program was in good hands; it's in great standing."

Added small forward Justin Jewell: "It's going to be crazy. Bluefield fans probably don't like that we got coach Gilliard, but I'm really happy we got him. Hopefully we can step up our game and beat them every time."

Whether he can turn the Tigers around, Gilliard said he's glad to have this chance.

"Basketball is my life; it's been very good to me," he said.

"I've had an opportunity to travel and to meet some people I probably would not have the opportunity to meet.... I'm excited to work with these kids.... Hopefully we can do something special for this community."

The Tigers are also planning to pay tribute to former coach John Flournoy, who died Friday from a massive heart attack. They hope to sew patches onto their uniforms to honor Gilliard's predecessor.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Added small forward Justin Jewell: "It's going to be crazy. Bluefield fans probably don't like that we got coach Gilliard, but I'm really happy we got him. Hopefully we can step up our game and beat them every time."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I have ever read a statement that could be any more untrue...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I have ever read a statement that could be any more untrue...

[/ QUOTE ]

What does he know anyways? He has never been to charleston. If Gillard doesnt do it this year, Forget about it...lol

hold on what am i thinking!?!?! HE CAN FORGET ABOUT IT ANYWAYS! LOL

Coach Gillard is not a heartwarming story, he creates heartbreaking events in Charleston.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Coach Gillard is not a heartwarming story, he creates heartbreaking events in Charleston.

[/ QUOTE ]

What am i thinking fellas... he cant break Princetons hearts cause he will never make it to charleston!

The guy can win 5 games a year and he will be a saint...

good riddance.

I think the Bluefield/Princeton games will be great this year. Two very evenly matched teams. If Princeton gets the officiating at home like they did last year (and no, im not being a stupid fan, just realistic) they will be amazing games. If you have the opportunity to catch these games, please do.

Bluefield and Princeton evenly matched....

did i read those words in the same statement???

id say a lot of Blfd fans would call for the new coaches heads if they lost either of the two games to princeton, especially since Gilliard is coaching them.

aside from the princeton/Bluefield talks

i think it is very nice of the gesture that princeton is planning on doing in remember coach flou.

it was a sad day when we lost that man.

a great coach.

[ QUOTE ]

Rocks, see if you can run into Gilliard at the gas station again and see if he knows anything about it! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dislike him, well all know that

I really didn't even like him when You, me and Beavertail played basketball for BHS

ernie sucks. im just ready to hear some crap from Princeton fans about how they have him and we dont. ill just simply laugh and move on. i mean, i dont think theyll have to worry about going upstate and losing anyway.

[ QUOTE ]

it was on some paper somewhere. maybe on the internet, im not sure. I have read it somewhere though. Also a few players have told me about the new tournament where BHS and PSHS should be matched up again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its on their schedule for 12/21 and 12/22...no idea who is playing in it though...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i dont think princeton is... talked to lucas nieto today and he said they weren't...

Could you give me the dates and times of the Princeton-Bluefield games. I would be willing to travel up that way to see those games. We have ties to players from both schools and feel it will be worth the drive!