Rich Rod Resigns

the_truth

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may just turn into a hokie fan.( not really but I feel like it) atleast their coach (Beamer) is loyal to his state and university!!!! pisses me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i hate rich rod, and i can see how some hate him too now. If i were coaching my alma mater and we were having good seaons, and being ranked in the top 15 usually, i would never leave for any amount of money... especially when he is making over a million a year anyways...

This is the ESPN link:

West Virginia football coach Rich Rodriguez informed his players at a 1:30 p.m. meeting Sunday that he was leaving to become the new coach at Michigan.

Rodriguez met with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin on Friday to talk about the Wolverines' coaching job.

Rodriguez and his agent were in Toledo to talk with Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman, according to Sporting News Radio, which cited unidentifed sources.

The meeting was confirmed to ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday afternoon by a source close to the situation.

Rodriguez, 44, was back in Morgantown on Friday after taking a flight from Ohio, and unwilling to talk about any possible interest in the Michigan job.

"Going to practice. I'm going to practice," he told The Associated Press on Friday, getting into his car after a trip to Toledo.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3157227

[ QUOTE ]

i hate rich rod, and i can see how some hate him too now. If i were coaching my alma mater and we were having good seaons, and being ranked in the top 15 usually, i would never leave for any amount of money... especially when he is making over a million a year anyways...

[/ QUOTE ]

Money changes a lot of things, my friend. I'd be willing to be otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]

The worst two weeks in WVU football history? First the Pitt loss and now this? Ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just wonderful. It is funny how before the Pitt game, it was the some of the best times in WVU football and just two weeks later...complete turn-around.

I am glad the hoops team is goin good.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The worst two weeks in WVU football history? First the Pitt loss and now this? Ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I a bad person for getting a good laugh out of all this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your a bad person then so am I!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] WVA didn't win a conference championship from 1967 to 1993, and lost 8 straight bowl games in a period from 1987 to 1998, so I think West Virginia football has experienced darker days than this. Rich Rodriguez has put WVA football on the map, and has made it a premier football program in the nation, so WVA will get a good coach, and WVA football will remain a great program.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Reading the boards at TSP has me laughing so hard I'm about to cry. Those guys are brutal, and quite funny...

Well well! If he doesn't want to be here, then let him go. I am happy with the improvements to the program that will lure another good head coach. I feel he was outcoached a few times this year anyway. I don't know how much of this is internal .....AD disagreements and such. There are tons of good WV coaches out there whether we hire from within or we can bring back someone who is from WV and coaching elsewhere.

I don't see a problem with a coach wanting to improve his position professionally and monitarily, where I have a problem is when a coach signs an extension or a new contract agreeing to stay, and the University makes a good faith offer to him to improve facilities, raise his salary and his ass't. coaches salaries etc., (this happened after CRR turned down Alabama) and then he leaves for another job less than a year later. That's what sucks. Contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on...all they are good for is recruiting, so recruits beware...you never know which coach will jump ship next!

[ QUOTE ]

Well well! If he doesn't want to be here, then let him go. I am happy with the improvements to the program that will lure another good head coach. I feel he was outcoached a few times this year anyway. I don't know how much of this is internal .....AD disagreements and such. There are tons of good WV coaches out there whether we hire from within or we can bring back someone who is from WV and coaching elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many of those coaches want to be where you could be: A) run out of town.....see Bowden and Nehlen. B) booed off the field by your home crowd.....see the Pitt game a couple of weeks ago.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Reading the boards at TSP has me laughing so hard I'm about to cry. Those guys are brutal, and quite funny...

[/ QUOTE ]

oh i know! I love reading about how the Spread has lost them SO MANY games...lol.

They're posting it elsewhere too, I haven't seen whether or not he'll be in the Fiesta Bowl or not. This is a link to yahoo sports:http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-michigan-rodriguez&prov=ap&type=lgns

All of the sudden, Ohio State is now my 2nd favorite team in college. Can't blame Michigan for going after good coaches, but suffice to say not too many WVU fans will be sending Christmas cards to the Wolverine AD.

It'll ben an interesting off-season, for both squads. I honestly see Michigan struggling a bit next season, they absolutely don't have to personnel to run the spread-option. Hopefully whoever goes to WVU can establish some kind of air attack, it's one thing that has noticebly lacked during the "Rich-Rod" era, and most of WVU's losses since 2002 are a direct result of it.

More on Rodriguez from former coach Nehlen

Former West Virginia coach Don Nehlen, under whom Rodriguez played and was mentored as a coach, said this is an ideal move for Rodriguez.

"I think it's a great, great, great opportunity for him," said Nehlen, who coached at Michigan under Bo Schembechler from 1977-1979. "I think it's tremendous. There are very few Michigans. When you coach at West Virginia you walk on water in West Virginia, but when you coach at Michigan, you walk on water, period. There's a difference. Some people around here don't want to believe that."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071216/UPDATE/712160343/1131/SPORTS0201

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many of those coaches want to be where you could be: A) run out of town.....see Bowden and Nehlen. B) booed off the field by your home crowd.....see the Pitt game a couple of weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL....did you watch any college football this year?????? Lloyd Carr was pushed out.....they called for his head on a platter after they fell at home to APPY STATE!....

And I don't guess any coach would want to go to a school that has played in 2 BCS bowls the last 3 years....played in a Jan. bowl game more than any other school except USC currently. Noone wants to coach a good group of players that will have another legit shot at the NC if they can get some good offensive play calling and fix some line problems...next year. Come on ......plenty of reasons to coach there.

So who's next for the Mountaineers? How about another Mountaineer...

http://www.goasu.com/football/coach/24/

He's 68 years old, that may be a problem. But he has led his team to three straight national titles. He's building a dynasty very similar to Youngstown State when Jim Tresell was there, and we all know how good of a coach he has been. If I had anything to do with West Virginia football, I would look at this guy.

[ QUOTE ]

So who's next for the Mountaineers? How about another Mountaineer...

http://www.goasu.com/football/coach/24/

He's 68 years old, that may be a problem. But he has led his team to three straight national titles. He's building a dynasty very similar to Youngstown State when Jim Tresell was there, and we all know how good of a coach he has been. If I had anything to do with West Virginia football, I would look at this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually talked about this guy earlier to some people....I'd love to have him there.....but the age thing will keep him from going there. WVU will look at someone from within or someone with ties......Doc Holliday, Rick Trickett, Jimbo Fisher doubtful, Terry Bowden out for a while, hard to tell at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL....did you watch any college football this year?????? Lloyd Carr was pushed out.....they called for his head on a platter after they fell at home to APPY STATE!....

And I don't guess any coach would want to go to a school that has played in 2 BCS bowls the last 3 years....played in a Jan. bowl game more than any other school except USC currently. Noone wants to coach a good group of players that will have another legit shot at the NC if they can get some good offensive play calling and fix some line problems...next year. Come on ......plenty of reasons to coach there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Michigan was turned down by two high profile coaches already. One was an Michigan alum and the other was out of the Big East. Maybe because of the fans and expectations, maybe not. If expectations are high and if the fan base has a reputation to turn on you quickly, that could work against you if you are a school looking for a coach.