ERNIE vs. HAVENS

Guest BEAVERTAIL

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I might be wrong, but in my opinion, if bluefield doesnt find a way to hit some deep shots then it is going to be a long year.

[/ QUOTE ]

season is still young and i believe Blfd. has the talent to come around.

teams that it will be a long season for are most likely Westside....

wyoming East could be another possible team

as the weeks go on, the wheat and tare will be seperated....i still say the top 2 or 3 teams in AA are Logan, Ravenswood, Winfield, and Weir or Magnolia....

[ QUOTE ]

You had to see it coming. A Powerhouse AAA school beats a AA school and all the princeton-ites have to get on here and run off at the mouth at how great ernie gillard is...

[/ QUOTE ]

Their season is complete now. A few games into the season and they have already far exceeded expectations. Sleep well, Princeton!

BTW, It's good to see Schmitt and wvuraiders back on the boards. Since they can't live their WVU fantasy fairytale anymore they have found their way over to the Bluefield basketball threads to heckle fans. Go Sooners! wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I might be wrong, but in my opinion, if bluefield doesnt find a way to hit some deep shots then it is going to be a long year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to what I said in the preseason, before football even ended. Bluefield must push tempo in games this year to win b/c they cannot play a half-court game with no outside shooters and horrible free-throw shooting. When you shoot 12-26 from the foul line you don't deserve to win a basketball game, period. I honestly don't see Bluefield making it out of the region this year, if the section. And the coach cannot be faulted for his players not being able to hit from the outside or make free-throws.

I believe it to be the coaches and players fault. Havens hasnt been able to execute against other teams weaknesses(example Pikeview first time around). He did however make great adjustments in the second game and hopefully we can continue that and make adjustments the next time around with Princeton.

As far as shooting and running plays, ive been in the front row to 2nd row every game this year and have heard Havens announce two different plays which makes me believe that those might just be the only plays he knows. The best success Bluefield has had as far as execution this season has been when Craig can set up things himself rather than go by what coach is trying to get out there. When you are constantly running the same thing defenses will catch on.

Our free throw shooting needs to get better as well as our shooting in general. We cannot keep forcing shots and missing them. If we do miss them, we need to rebound seeing as that is another issue. We have a lot of work to be done.

PLEASE...SOMEONE...ANYONE...SINCE ITS APPARENT THAT HAVENS DID NOT READ MY EARLIER POST...PRINT THIS OUT AND POST IT ON HIS OFFICE DOOR!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like coaching to me...

Best way to beat a zone D when you don't have outside shooters? Pressure defense when the other team has the ball and transition on turnovers and missed shots not allowing the other team to get back and set up...RUN FOREST, RUN!!!!

Hey coach...maybe this will help...

[ QUOTE ]

At Arkansas it was known as "40 minutes of hell." They called it "the fastest 40 minutes of basketball" at UAB. Missouri fans haven't gotten a chance to take a crack at the next label yet, but new coach Mike Anderson promises they will.

Anderson says he plans to employ the same style of play with the Tigers.

That means constant full-court pressure. Defensive traps in every corner. Pushing the pace at all times.

"We are going to try and play the way we have always played," Anderson told Rivals.com. "It's going to be a process, and I'm going to have to be patient with the first part, but we are going to get at it. We will pick up at 94 feet and play up-tempo."

That type of approach must sound familiar to SEC fans.

They watched Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl bring his brand of "controlled chaos" to the SEC last season. Pearl helped turn the Volunteers from a losing team to SEC East champs.

Anderson's believes his system will work in the Big 12, and he has established a pattern of success.

In 1980, Nolan Richardson landed his first Division I head coaching job at Tulsa. One of his first moves was to convince Anderson, then a scrappy, undersized point guard, to join him. The two had faced each other in the final of the national junior college tournament earlier that year.

Anderson was the prefect fit for Richardson's team. They pressed nonstop and constantly subbed players in and out. Their offense was built on easy baskets, and opponents began wearing down in the final minutes.

Tulsa ended up winning the NIT that year. The next season produced a trip to the NCAA Tournament.

Anderson became an assistant on Richardson's staff at Tulsa and followed him to Arkansas in 1985. There, they made their frenetic style of play famous. The system carried the Razorbacks to the 1994 national title.

"I've seen how the blueprint played out with coach Richardson at Tulsa and Arkansas and what it did at UAB," Anderson said. "Now I envision taking what we did and using it at Mizzou."

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT'S how Bluefield should play EVERY GAME...

[/ QUOTE ]

Guest JJBrickface

This is EXACTLY what I was saying last year! I said we were not a good enough shooting team. The response I was getting from most people was that well, Bluefield has to pressure the ball. Are they not doing that this year? Its simple, play tough zone defense and you are going to limit the capabilities of Bluefield.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

when bluefield did press last night at times, they played some really good basketball... if they pressed all night, despite their shooting woes they would have won.

if there was a bright spot in the game, it was they play of marcus patterson. the kid can d it up. he needs to be starting.

The only downside of patterson is his ball handling on offense. He goes a hundred m.p.h. which prevents him from controlling the ball. If he could learn to control himself better he could really be an asset.

I honestly think that Havens and Co. are doing a good job. I haven't seen a Bluefield team with the tenacity towards the ball like this team in a long, long time. When there is a ball on the floor there is at least 1 player on the floor who is fighting for the ball. They have played a full court man to man for the majority of the season, and my only complaint is that they do not press enough. Their man to man does create turnovers and it gets Bluefield running. The two instances that stick out in my head are the end of the 1st half and the beginning of the 2nd half of the Pike View game. The defense and steals which were converted into easy lay-ups and dunks is what Bluefield basketball is all about. Although the man to man works, the full court press could send teams into a frenzy if they were faced with it.

I do not blame the Princeton loss on anyone but the players. As it was said on here earlier on here by Bluefield_Rules, going 12-26 from the free throw line doesn't deserve to win games, and I strongly agree. Bluefield was very much in the game up until the end and if it weren't for poor free throw percentage and a few questionable shots at the end of the game which were rushed or a few instances where people had passed up shots they should have taken, then this could have been a win.

I support, and will continue to support Havens until he proves that he cannot put Bluefield in a position to win.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

The only downside of patterson is his ball handling on offense. He goes a hundred m.p.h. which prevents him from controlling the ball. If he could learn to control himself better he could really be an asset.

[/ QUOTE ]

use marcus as a shooting guard, and still let Craig take care of the ball handling duties. Patterson and Lilly both need to be used more especially on the defensive end because of their tenacity, aggressiveness, and desire. And lets not forget they are pretty good athletes...

I agree about Marcus being used more but Jake definitely shouldnt be. Jake is a great defensive player, we would all agree, but his offense doesnt compare to Marcus'. He hustles, yes, and is a great athlete, but athleticism goes down the drain when all you do is constantly run around in circles.

right now I believe adjustments are in definite order. More rebounding practice and more plays drawn up. Also Havens needs to learn to make changes in the games. He made great changes for the second pikeview game, but us not exposing the weakness of theirs down low almost killed us in the first.

Starters should be Craig, Marcus, Turq, Shaun and Ansel.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

I agree about Marcus being used more but Jake definitely shouldnt be. Jake is a great defensive player, we would all agree, but his offense doesnt compare to Marcus'. He hustles, yes, and is a great athlete, but athleticism goes down the drain when all you do is constantly run around in circles.

right now I believe adjustments are in definite order. More rebounding practice and more plays drawn up. Also Havens needs to learn to make changes in the games. He made great changes for the second pikeview game, but us not exposing the weakness of theirs down low almost killed us in the first.

Starters should be Craig, Marcus, Turq, Shaun and Ansel.

[/ QUOTE ]

ill agree wih the starting lineup, but Jake Lilly brings excitement and intesity to the game. im saying put him in for short 2-3 minute spirts, (compared to the very little he is playing now) just so he can create havoc.

He can't be productive when he doesn't get to handle the ball. Our entire offense runs around in circles, and when they get an open shot, we dont take it. When we have a contested shot, we take it...we just have to play smarter basketball.

Every team needs a player that will bring intensity, hustle, and a physical nature to the game when they play. From reading and hearing about the team thus far into the season Lilly is that guy. Rusty Coeburn served the same purpose on the 2004-05 squad. Coeburn wasn't an offensive threat, but he hustled his butt off and played very physical, which the team needed.

The biggest thing I belive at this point, as has been mentioned, is for Bluefield to become a smarter team. Such as players knowing when and where to take their shot as well as not picking up stupid fouls and getting into foul trouble. Bluefield will be able to beat a number of their opponents this year solely on their athletic advantages, but if they want accomplish the goals they've set as a team they must become smarter. They will not beat the likes of Logan, Ravenswood, Winfield, etc. by simply being the more athletic team. They may not be able to beat Summers County by being athletically better...

The head coach takes all the blame, and he just didn't have these kids ready.Next time around will be the game.Good-job coach Gillard and his staff ,and all his basketball players.This game is only for bragging right in Mercer County, it means nothing more. Remember Bluefield is a AA school and Prin. is a AAA school.

right now the beavers do not have a "clutch" player under pressure like dexter last year. someone has to step up and take that clutch shot that no one seemed to want last night. ansel or shaun needs to be the go to guy.

Patterson played a hell of a game, but when it came crunch time they took him out..Which I really didn't understand..And yea Brooks was called for a technical foul but down 5 with 2 minutes to go why is he not back in the game? As for Havens, I believed he sat in his nice comfy chair the whole game and watched what happened..Coach Boyles was the only productive coach I saw by talking to all the players when they came in and out of the game