VT vs. Kansas

KINGPIN

The Rock Chalk Chant is perhaps the most distinctive cheer in all of college sports. Some have likened it to a Gregorian chant, but anyone who has been in Allen Fieldhouse and heard the chant start low, then build and roll over the crowd knows that it is much, much more.

The "Rock Chalk" chant dates to 1866, when it was adopted by the University Science Club. A chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey and some of his associates were returning to Lawrence from Wichita on a train. As the story goes, they passed the time by trying to create a rousing cheer. The sound of the train's wheels on the rails suggested a rhythm and a cadence to them. At first, the cheer was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times.

Even though KU didn't have a football team until four years later, KU students quickly took up the chant. Later, an English professor suggested "Rock Chalk," in place of "Rah, Rah" because it rhymed with Jayhawk and because it was symbolic of the limestone, also known as chalk rock, surrounding Mount Oread, the site of the Lawrence Campus. It became the official cheer of the University in 1897.

Teddy Roosevelt pronounced the Rock Chalk Chant the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. It was used by Kansas troops fighting in the Philippines in 1899, the Boxer Rebellion in China, and World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

The words to the chant are simple. "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU" repeated five times. The chant is special not because of the words, but because of the tone in which it is chanted and the distinctive cadence in which each verse is delivered. The only way to really appreciate the chant is to sit in Allen Fieldhouse before a Missouri game. But, if in need of a fix, the links below should recall the rocking rafters of Phog's place.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

The Rock Chalk Chant is perhaps the most distinctive cheer in all of college sports. Some have likened it to a Gregorian chant, but anyone who has been in Allen Fieldhouse and heard the chant start low, then build and roll over the crowd knows that it is much, much more.

The "Rock Chalk" chant dates to 1866, when it was adopted by the University Science Club. A chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey and some of his associates were returning to Lawrence from Wichita on a train. As the story goes, they passed the time by trying to create a rousing cheer. The sound of the train's wheels on the rails suggested a rhythm and a cadence to them. At first, the cheer was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times.

Even though KU didn't have a football team until four years later, KU students quickly took up the chant. Later, an English professor suggested "Rock Chalk," in place of "Rah, Rah" because it rhymed with Jayhawk and because it was symbolic of the limestone, also known as chalk rock, surrounding Mount Oread, the site of the Lawrence Campus. It became the official cheer of the University in 1897.

Teddy Roosevelt pronounced the Rock Chalk Chant the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. It was used by Kansas troops fighting in the Philippines in 1899, the Boxer Rebellion in China, and World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty.

The words to the chant are simple. "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU" repeated five times. The chant is special not because of the words, but because of the tone in which it is chanted and the distinctive cadence in which each verse is delivered. The only way to really appreciate the chant is to sit in Allen Fieldhouse before a Missouri game. But, if in need of a fix, the links below should recall the rocking rafters of Phog's place.

[/ QUOTE ]

you copy and paster you...

[ QUOTE ]

That really is the Gayest thing i've ever saw in my life....WOW

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't have too much fun with that video Rocks... I hear doing that will make you go blind!

[ QUOTE ]

beano5, don't know how old you are or how long you've watched college sports, but loosing to Kansas in football IS terrible if you're supposed to have a 1st rate program like Tech. Turns out KU is a basketball school thats never had a respectable football team! In todays BCS world, perception and credibility are very valuable, and Tech slips a couple of notches with each Bowl loss, ESPECIALLY to inferior teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats funny...and Notre Dame doesnt suck...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Here's an awesome one!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my sound might be messed up. I hear this tiny whisper, but that is it. Hmmm...interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, come on Gobeavers... you know you love it!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Here's an awesome one!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my sound might be messed up. I hear this tiny whisper, but that is it. Hmmm...interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, come on Gobeavers... you know you love it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe man.

But the best cheer hands down, is not one that is famous to the world, but one that is famous to Beaver Nation.

"We Believe, Beavers We Believe!!!"

[ QUOTE ]

guys i really hate to say this...but that cheer brought that school back from a devastating tragedy....and i just cringe when i hear it at a WVU game...

[/ QUOTE ]

Beano, I don't want you to think that I am in any way bashing that cheer. I am a student at Marshall. It's one thing to hear it on the movie or on You Tube, but knowing the story it gives people chills when they hear it in person.

[ QUOTE ]

But the best cheer hands down, is not one that is famous to the world, but one that is famous to Beaver Nation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a classic, but this one is up there too!

Do the Beavers rule this dog house? HELL YEAH!

FIRE IN THE HOLE! BOOM!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a classic, but this one is up there too!

Do the Beavers rule this dog house? HELL YEAH!

FIRE IN THE HOLE! BOOM!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true buddy. This is true. I miss those days of standing shoulder-to-shoulder with you and Beavertail yelling our butts off. The student section just isn't the same anymore.

[ QUOTE ]

Those times got a little crazy... good memories, good memories!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, we got in trouble with Dr. Black a few times, but who doesn't? I think that might be the dumbest woman I have ever seen. We have broke some stands, some hearts, and had ours broken as well, but those were the best days of my life thus far. Thanks for the memories Beaver Nation!