VT vs. Kansas

KINGPIN

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disregard my last post. Kansas has put this one into the bag. This is a suprise to me. I thought VPI would show the nation how weak Kansas was, nope. They seemed to want it more and they came out and took it. Mark Mangino is going to take a [censored] load of Gatorade. LOL. There it is...wow. BIG win for Kansas.

Transitive property: Kansas beats VT, Missouri beats Kansas, Oklahoma beats Kansas, WVU beats Oklahoma,

WVU > VT.

I am just messing with yall...lol. I know that crap doesn't work with football. As someone stated before, if it did then the D-2 championship was the real national championship. Sleep well and enjoy the wait until Jan. 7th.

GO EERS!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with being loyal, there is a lot wrong with not being loyal. (Rodriguez) I just dont why Beamer would not do what it takes if he knows, even if it does mean just scratching a play.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're are talking about two different types of loyal. Beamer is just too trusting in steinspring...either that or Beamer is a offensive moron as well. You cant tell me they should have abandoned the run when Ore was averaging 5 yards a carry. that was just plain dumb.

ever since the bowl games were announced all I had heard from VT fans is of how they were gonna roll over Kansas. How they wished they would have gotten a better opponent because Kansas just wasnt worthy. Now I believe they wish for a different opponent but for other reasons.

VT got straight outplayed just like I thought they would in my prediction in the bowl pick 'em. I cant wait to see my Tech fan buddies sometime tomorrow and just ask them how they handled watching VT blowout Kansas tonight.

[ QUOTE ]

ever since the bowl games were announced all I had heard from VT fans is of how they were gonna roll over Kansas. How they wished they would have gotten a better opponent because Kansas just wasnt worthy. Now I believe they wish for a different opponent but for other reasons.

VT got straight outplayed just like I thought they would in my prediction in the bowl pick 'em. I cant wait to see my Tech fan buddies sometime tomorrow and just ask them how they handled watching VT blowout Kansas tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember well the few Virginia Tech fans that thought that Virginia Tech would "win big" and "roll over" the hapless Jayhawks. Oops.

Subpar play from the quarterbacks tonight. Glennon and Taylor both had interceptions. notably Taylor's pick-6. Glennon looked especially shaky: staring down receivers for seconds at a time before releasing passes to them, which Kansas generally defended quite well.

Stinespring did call a pitiful game tonight. The 11-carry drive from Ore late in the second quarter exposed the smaller Jayhawk defense as extremely vulnerable to the run. Ore routinely broke 5-6 yard runs, and with 2nd-and-4 situations, the offense definitely has the upper hand. Yet the Hokies continued to pass, pass, and pass more. Baffling. And I DEFINITELY know something about bad offensive coordinators...

Regardless, I congratulate Virginia Tech on a nice season. Two ACC titles in 4 years definitely looks nice (which is as many as big brother has total), as well as the fourth-consecutive 10-win season, matched only by Southern California.

My analysis of the game is quite simple: FIRE BRIAN STINESPRING . He is a joke of an offensive coordinator.

Tonight was a perfect example of how he executes his game plans. Kansas was extremely vulnerable to the run, and Branden Ore did nothing but exploit it. He gained an average of almost 5 yards per carry, and only had one run in the entire game that I counted which did not go for positive yards, and it went for a loss of one yard at that. Ore looked like the Ore of old when he ran the ball tonight, but Stiney did not take advantage of the strength. Tech's lone touchdown drive towards the end of the 1st half was driven by Ore, and Glennon threw the ball maybe 2 times on that drive. When Tech started the 2nd half, they had all the momentum to their advantage with the punt return for a TD and the defense playing great. Their offensive play calling stalled every one of their drives with a 3-4 yard gain on 1st down, a home run on 2nd down, and leaving a sketchy 3rd and 6-7 yards for a first down, eventually ending in a punt.

There comes a time in every program's history when it is time for change, and I think it means Stinespring has to go if Tech wants to compete nationally. As of now, Tech's play play calling is entirely too conservative and it doesn't leave much to the imagination of the defense.

I was very satisfied with the defense tonight and the fact that they really only gave up 1 touchdown. The other offensive touchdown was unstoppable in essence, since Kansas started their drive from one yard out after an interception return. VT played a good game and gave themselves a shot at the end of the game despite 4 turnovers (3 INTs and a blocked FG) and that is really all you can ask. Tech's offense needs some major revamping if they want to be taken seriously on the national scene. The talent is there and 2/3 of the coaching is too.

[ QUOTE ]

VT didnt execute...Thats what cost them..

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't agree totally.

The quarterbacks didn't execute, that's for sure. Glennon's completion percentage was under 50%, and Taylor completed as many passes to the Jawhawks as to the Hokies, with one more touchdown to the Jawhawks. I'll give you that.

However, Tech's defense held Kansas to 24 points, which should've been enough to win the football game. Ore averaged right at 5 yards a carry and had an exemplary game (23-119-1, in just three quarters of work).

Frankly, I believe there were two differences. One, Kansas hit Virginia Tech square in the mouth and barely flinched when Virginia Tech did the same. Second, awful offensive game-planning.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't agree totally.

The quarterbacks didn't execute, that's for sure. Glennon's completion percentage was under 50%, and Taylor completed as many passes to the Jawhawks as to the Hokies, with one more touchdown to the Jawhawks. I'll give you that.

However, Tech's defense held Kansas to 24 points, which should've been enough to win the football game. Ore averaged right at 5 yards a carry and had an exemplary game (23-119-1, in just three quarters of work).

Frankly, I believe there were two differences. One, Kansas hit Virginia Tech square in the mouth and barely flinched when Virginia Tech did the same. Second, awful offensive game-planning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with almost all of that UVAObserver, except for the fact that Virginia Tech backed down after being punched in the mouth. With the exception of the interceptions and blocked field goal, there wasn't really any actual discrepancy of Virginia Tech getting hit in the mouth. VT's mistakes were mostly caused by themselves and the blame lies squarely on their shoulders. I will most certainly agree to disagree on this topic.

Virginia Tech had Kansas exactly where they wanted them at the beginning of the 2nd half when their defense came out firing, along with the punt return for a touchdown. All they had to do was finish the trifecta and get their offense to click. In my opinion, Stinespring did not put his offense in the best position to win the game.

dont kill me for making this post...but i believe the chokies title given to UVA yesterday or the day before by a VT fan on this board can be given right back to the Hokies...they did play well all season but bad play calling happens...it wasnt the play calling that killed them..with the plays called Glennon or Taylor had more than one option...they picked the wrong one and got picked...and Beamer Ball kicked their butts..yes they got a punt return but one missed kick and one blocked kick killed them tonight...sorry VT fans...maybe next year...good season though Hokies..keep those heads high...11 wins is nothing to be ashamed of

oh i forgot two things...for those of you like me that had to listen on the radio...i KNOW Tech can do a better job finding announcers then that...a BIG sack according to them is 3 yards and a HUGE run according to them is a run of no gain or 1 gain..i couldnt stand listening to those morons...they had no clue what was going on...they called Kansas the Hokies many times...they also had no idea what the yardage was on plays and such....and one more thing...Kansas is still undefeated when wearing red uniforms...6-0 overall

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't agree totally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with almost all of that UVAObserver, except for the fact that Virginia Tech backed down after being punched in the mouth. With the exception of the interceptions and blocked field goal, there wasn't really any actual discrepancy of Virginia Tech getting hit in the mouth. VT's mistakes were mostly caused by themselves and the blame lies squarely on their shoulders. I will most certainly agree to disagree on this topic.

Virginia Tech had Kansas exactly where they wanted them at the beginning of the 2nd half when their defense came out firing, along with the punt return for a touchdown. All they had to do was finish the trifecta and get their offense to click. In my opinion, Stinespring did not put his offense in the best position to win the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said Virginia Tech backed down. wink.gif

Beamer teams seldom do that, except in Baton Rouge, LA.

Kansas socked Virginia Tech, Virginia Tech returned the punch, and Kansas (though shaken) didn't drop. I could've been clearer, I admit.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't agree totally.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never said Virginia Tech backed down. wink.gif

Beamer teams seldom do that, except in Baton Rouge, LA.

Kansas socked Virginia Tech, Virginia Tech returned the punch, and Kansas (though shaken) didn't drop. I could've been clearer, I admit.

[/ QUOTE ]

All right, I understand! LOL

It is still so frustrating to me that Virginia Tech had clear opportunities to "drop" and finish Kansas with establishing a drive and/or scoring offensively, but it stalled.

But aside from the disappointment, I want to congratulate Virginia Tech on such a great season. Another ACC Championship and 10+ win season is still a great success, but most importantly this particular football team should be forever remembered for being so instrumental in the healing process and bringing the whole Virginia Tech community back together after such a dark, dark day on April 16th. Thanks for all the memories!

Football is a pretty simple game. They can't stop the run. RUN the freakin' football. They tried too much fancy crap and couldn't execute. The loss was a direct result of piss poor play calling. You cant throw int.'s when you are running the football. I agree with an earlier poster, FIRE STINESPRING!!!! and if Beamer can't do that, then he is holding VT back so FIRE BEAMER!!!!!!! It does not take a genius to figure out why Kansas won. VT played right into their hands. Kansas = Spread team that likes to score. Run the ball and control the clock. No wonder Ore was late for a meeting. The gameplan didn't even include him. I'm surprised that they even noticed he was late. Tech needs to take a page out of the Mountaineers book. They just hired a man that knows how to and wants to win and can MOTIVATE players. Kudos to WV and congrats. VT will not win a NC until they cure the disease that ails them.

[ QUOTE ]

SOMEBODY PLEASE GIVE THE BLU SOME LOVE FOR THAT PICK ONE THE FIRST PAGE, 2ND POST.....DAM IM GOOD !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You missed it completely!!! LOL

[ QUOTE ]

VT 24

KU 21

[/ QUOTE ]

Tech should have stuck with their running game...Ore was doing a great job. There were more than a few "bombs" thrown that I didn't understand, but if they had been caught the offensive coordinator would have looked like a genius. That said, if it weren't for a couple of dropped passes, the outcome could have been reversed. Hind sight is always 20/20.

I thought it was funny how once in the fourth quarter the commentators said the key to the game had been KANSAS' defense and special teams. weird how those were suposed to be keys to VT's game.

all in all I think VT fans should respect their opponents a little better. I would hate to have seen what "a real opponent" would have done to them.