National Signing Day

rvtne216

[ QUOTE ]

Jenkins is going to sign with WVU? Wow, what's he thinking; he could have gone to any school in the country and he's going to Morgantown to spend his college career? Ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

and where would you prefer him go? VT? Where can lose in a BCS game?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

even if you verbally commit, you still get recruiting stuff from any other college. Until you sign, you are still a recruit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some coaches continue to recruit kids who have given verbal committments to other schools (the Florida schools are notorious for this and it is also becoming a trend with the South Carolina schools).

Once a kid makes a verbal to another school, VT's coaches back off and do not continue persuing the kid unless he contacts them and tells them he has changed his mind. True, VT did have some interest in Miles in the beginning but when he made his verbal to WVU, they did not recruit him anymore.

Now if Coaches Spurrier, Bowden(s), or Meyer had liked the kid, they would have been at his house last night even trying to change his mind...

thats called good recruiting. The kid is still available if all he has given is a verbal. Why would you dare back off? Star Jackson verbally committed to Alabama in early september but LSU, Texas, WVU, Ohio State, Auburn, UCF and others continued to call him and send him more letters to his house and school.

[ QUOTE ]

thats called good recruiting. The kid is still available if all he has given is a verbal. Why would you dare back off? Star Jackson verbally committed to Alabama in early september but LSU, Texas, WVU, Ohio State, Auburn, UCF and others continued to call him and send him more letters to his house and school.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not "good recruiting"...that's thievery...

PARKERSBURG - Parkersburg High's Josh Jenkins decided to cast his lot with the WVU Mountaineers today, but not before showing he had a flair for the dramatic and startling a crowd of about 250 people who gathered at PHS's Memorial Fieldhouse for the offensive lineman's long-awaited announcement.

As the three-time, first-team All-Stater approached the podium, he held a University of Michigan hat.

Rich Rodriguez had received a commitment from Jenkins in 2006 that he would play football for WVU. After Rodriguez took the Michigan job on Dec. 16, he attempted to get Jenkins to follow him to Ann Arbor.

"I just wanted to announce my intentions to attend the University of ...," Jenkins said, before suddenly flinging the Michigan hat toward the bleachers.

Then Jenkins swiftly placed a WVU hat on his head, beamed, and said enthusiastically to wild applause, "It's a great day to be a Mountaineer."

That, of course is WVU broadcaster Tony Caridi's signature line at the conclusion of big Mountaineer football and basketball victories.

Ohio State and Florida State, along with WVU, were considered to be in the hunt for Jenkins' services as signing day approached.

OSU Head Coach Jim Tressel visited Jenkins in Parkersburg last week, as did Florida State offensive line coach Rick Trickett. As a former West Virginia assistant on Rodriguez's staff, Trickett was instrumental in getting Jenkins to commit to the Mountaineers in 2006.

"People know me here," Jenkins said. "I'm Josh Jenkins from Parkersburg. I'm not some recruit who happens to be from West Virginia. That made a big difference."

Jenkins and some of his PHS coaches spent part of Tuesday night calling other suitors, thanking them for their interest, and informing them that the 6-foot-5, 305-pounder would sign today with the Mountaineers.

He actually made up his mind last Wednesday after a visit from WVU recruiting coordinator John "Doc" Holliday.

"After Coach Holliday left, I talked to my mom and said, 'You know what? I think I'm going to be a Mountaineer,'" Jenkins said.

Jenkins cooled on his commitment to WVU before his senior season at PHS in 2007.

New Mountaineer Coach Bill Stewart, Holliday and offensive line coach Dave Johnson met with Jenkins repeatedly in recent weeks.

He was WVU's top recruiting target.

The first player in the storied history of Parkersburg High School football to earn first team All-State honors three straight seasons, Jenkins was ranked as one of the top five guard prospects in the nation by most recruiting services.

During his career, Jenkins twice won the Hunt Award as the state's best high school lineman, the only player to ever accomplish that feat.

In early January, Jenkins became the first player in state history to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, which was televised nationally from the Alamodome in San Antonio. He was named a Prep All-America selection by USA Today last month and Parade magazine last weekend.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Jenkins is going to sign with WVU? Wow, what's he thinking; he could have gone to any school in the country and he's going to Morgantown to spend his college career? Ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have gone south, as in Florida or someplace of that nature. The best college town in American is Chapel Hill though from the school and community to the usual nice weather and then there's nothing finer than the girls from Carolina. If it was about winning he wouldn't have gone to WVU. He would have gone to Ohio St., Florida, or someplace of that nature.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have gone south, as in Florida or someplace of that nature. The best college town in American is Chapel Hill though from the school and community to the usual nice weather and then there's nothing finer than the girls from Carolina. If it was about winning he wouldn't have gone to WVU. He would have gone to Ohio St., Florida, or someplace of that nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why question where he went? He is from WV, he is a longtime WVU fan, and WVU has won 2 BCS games in the last 3 years. Its not like he went to Tusculum College.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why question where he went? He is from WV, he is a longtime WVU fan, and WVU has won 2 BCS games in the last 3 years. Its not like he went to Tusculum College.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why question it? It's just very surprising to me b/c he flirted so much with the other bigger schools in the past 6-7 months of his recruitment. I thought that a kid with such a great chance to make it out of the state would jump at such a wonderful opportunity to pursue his football talents on a larger national stage in tradition-rich, tougher conferences such as the Big 10 or SEC. Plus the fact that Morgantown isn't exactly one of the top college towns in America. Outside of partying, getting drunk, and walking up the huge hills downtown there's zero to do there. It's his decision though and if he's happy with it then that's all that matters right?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing compares to Chapel Hill at all... except for Duke. Both campuses are amazing and are heads and shoulders above any other. although VT is also a nice campus with the Hokie stone. And trust me i know about campuses, i mean i do live on the "campus beautiful" lol

[ QUOTE ]

its a verbal. nothing official. the kid is still on the market if all he has given is a verbal commitment. When you havent signed, you havent taken your name off of anyone else's list.

[/ QUOTE ]

For most kids that make a verbal committment, they stand by their word and stick with that school. Some don't...and honestly, would you want that kid playing for your team???

not all recruits stick with their verbal commitment and that is the point. if you as a school know that not all recruits stick with their verbal commitments, you still search around and show interest in other recruits. its just what you do. nothing is guaranteed until it is signed.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

its a verbal. nothing official. the kid is still on the market if all he has given is a verbal commitment. When you havent signed, you havent taken your name off of anyone else's list.

[/ QUOTE ]

For most kids that make a verbal committment, they stand by their word and stick with that school. Some don't...and honestly, would you want that kid playing for your team???

[/ QUOTE ]

would WV fans want a player like RR? no.

Its the same thing, verbally commit something then back out for a better deal in the player's eyes...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah............being ranked top ten again, winning another BCS bowl game, and blocking for Pat White and Noel Devine is awful.....damn awful...............lol get over it.

[ QUOTE ]

I also saw in the BDT this morning that Montcalm's Anthony Graham is signing with West Virginia Tech. If I remember correctly I think this is the second second student in Montcalm history to sign to play football. The first was Adam Havens, the son of Bluefield's coach Craig Havens, and he signed with Concord. So congratulations to Anthony on his success and i hope he does well and gets some real playing time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I coached Anthony some when he was in little league......it doesn't surprise me that he is playing somewhere. I feel that he will make it and actually play there. The Havens kid was a heck of an athlete, just couldn't stick it out for old Coach Quick...he left the team before the season started last year.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coach ‘very disappointed’ in Allen’s decision

By Carter Strickland | Wednesday, February 6, 2008, 12:15 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The signing day drama was supposed to be over weeks ago for Georgia.

Tight end Dwayne Allen made sure that was not the case. The tight end from Terry Sanford High in Fayetteville, N.C., changed his commitment twice in the last three days. The last of those was Wednesday morning.

“I didn’t know until 10 minutes to 10 this morning,†said Wayne Inman, Allen’s coach. “His problem was he liked everybody. He didn’t see a coach or a team that he didn’t like.â€

That led to confusion.

Allen held news conference Monday and said he was going to Georgia. After that news conference, Allen said he did not decide he was going to Georgia until the very last minute.

But he still was thinking about Clemson. “There were a lot of wonderful people at Clemson,†he said Monday.

Still, Georgia was his team until Wednesday.

“I think Mark felt something could happen,†Inman said of Richt. “I think he knew something could change.â€

But what upset Inman was the way it was handled by Allen.

“I was very disappointed,†Inman said. “It bothers me the way he it was all handled. I understand people are going to change their minds.â€

But, Inman said, the timing of the entire situation basically held Georgia hostage and did not allow the Bulldogs to go out and find another player.

“He told me he woke up with Clemson on his mind and that is what he decided to do,†Inman said.

Allen has not returned repeated phone calls or responded to text messages. Allen said Monday he quickly regretted committing to Georgia so early.

“I talked to some players and they said you have to look around,†Allen said. “They told me you have to take your visits. If you go with the first one, it is like marrying your own girlfriend.â€

The 6-3, 220-pound tight end is a top 100 signee, according to ESPN.com. During his career at Terry Sanford, Allen had 68 receptions for 1,257 yards. As a senior, he had 27 catches for 291 yards and five touchdowns.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Coach ‘very disappointed’ in Allen’s decision

By Carter Strickland | Wednesday, February 6, 2008, 12:15 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The signing day drama was supposed to be over weeks ago for Georgia.

Tight end Dwayne Allen made sure that was not the case. The tight end from Terry Sanford High in Fayetteville, N.C., changed his commitment twice in the last three days. The last of those was Wednesday morning.

“I didn’t know until 10 minutes to 10 this morning,” said Wayne Inman, Allen’s coach. “His problem was he liked everybody. He didn’t see a coach or a team that he didn’t like.”

That led to confusion.

Allen held news conference Monday and said he was going to Georgia. After that news conference, Allen said he did not decide he was going to Georgia until the very last minute.

But he still was thinking about Clemson. “There were a lot of wonderful people at Clemson,” he said Monday.

Still, Georgia was his team until Wednesday.

“I think Mark felt something could happen,” Inman said of Richt. “I think he knew something could change.”

But what upset Inman was the way it was handled by Allen.

“I was very disappointed,” Inman said. “It bothers me the way he it was all handled. I understand people are going to change their minds.”

But, Inman said, the timing of the entire situation basically held Georgia hostage and did not allow the Bulldogs to go out and find another player.

“He told me he woke up with Clemson on his mind and that is what he decided to do,” Inman said.

Allen has not returned repeated phone calls or responded to text messages. Allen said Monday he quickly regretted committing to Georgia so early.

“I talked to some players and they said you have to look around,” Allen said. “They told me you have to take your visits. If you go with the first one, it is like marrying your own girlfriend.”

The 6-3, 220-pound tight end is a top 100 signee, according to ESPN.com. During his career at Terry Sanford, Allen had 68 receptions for 1,257 yards. As a senior, he had 27 catches for 291 yards and five touchdowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't I mention the "South Carolina schools" and "Bowden(s)" as ones that continued to persue kids even though they had verbally committed to another school. Coaches that do that are nothing more than snakes in the grass.

The only solice I have with situations where kids have verballed to VT and then backed out and decided to go elsewhere...most of them have fallen flat on their faces at the other schools...

Karma, its a bitch...

I dont understand why everyone is giving him so much greif over taking his time in making a decision that could effect the rest of his life. National Signing day is not a deadline for when they can sign it is just the first day they can put ink on paper.