Cody Ayers headed to Knoxville

VHSLhelper

[ QUOTE ]

he's gonna have a swd guy snappin him the ball too..that'll be pretty cool

[/ QUOTE ]

True...that's something a lot of folks have forgotten about...

Guest Woolybugger

By CRAIG WORRELL

Sports Editor

Cody Ayers peered into the crystal ball and saw his future. The next five years of it, anyway.

The ball was a handcrafted $30,000 Waterford Crystal football, centerpiece of the national championship trophy won by the University of Tennessee in 1998. The future Ayers saw was his college football plans.

Following an invitation to the Knoxville campus this past weekend, Ayers, a punter/placekicker at Carroll County High School, announced that he will join the Volunteers as an invited walk-on this summer.

Eddie Ayers, Cody’s father and special teams coach at CCHS, said he received a call Thursday night from Tennessee head football coach Phillip Fulmer, who had just gotten off the phone with Cody. Fulmer invited the family to Knoxville Saturday, where they met the football staff, toured the campus and the athletic facilities and met with some instructors and faculty members.

“The reception we got was unbelievable,†said Eddie Ayers. “We went to coach Fulmer’s office and he handed the crystal football to Cody and said, ‘This is what you’re playing for.’ I was thinking, ‘If he drops it, we’re done.’ â€

“I looked at it and said I’d always wanted to hold one of those,†said Cody, “and he just hands it right to me, and I was like, Whoa, you can have this back.â€

The plan is for Ayers, a 6-foot-1, 227-pound senior, who bench presses 330 pounds, by the way, to redshirt his freshman year, working out and dressing for games with the squad.

“After that, depending on how it goes, I would be scholarship the rest of the way,†Cody said.

Fulmer, contacted by phone Wednesday, was unable to comment on Ayers due to NCAA rules restricting comments on players until they have either signed a letter of intent or reported to campus.

Tutored by his father and professional kicking instructor Doug Blevins, the younger Ayers attended a kicking camp last June at Tennessee, which currently has three punters listed on its roster, including Britton Colquitt, a rising senior and all-SEC punter. Although Ayers had received interest from Penn State, Nebraska and Michigan State, the only other firm offer he got came from Colorado, and that was on the car ride home from Knoxville.

Virginia Tech was never seriously in the picture. Carroll County coach Tom Hale said that Tech has two punters, and with a roster limited to 115 players, the Hokies simply didn’t have the room.

But it doesn’t get any bigger than Tennessee, which finished 10-4, including a 21-14 loss to eventual national champion LSU in the SEC championship game. The Volunteers boast the winningest program (95-32) of the last decade in the top football conference in the nation. Cody Ayers got a taste of that when he visited cavernous Neyland Stadium, which could probably hold every soul Ayers has played in front of his whole life in one end zone section.

“It was unreal,†he said. “I can’t imagine playing in front of 100,000 people, especially being from around here.â€

Ayers punted the ball nearly three miles during his four-year career at CCHS, averaging 38.5 yards per punt, including a 40-yard average on 70 kicks during his junior and senior seasons.

“I think he’s very deserving,†Hale said. “Cody worked hard from his freshman year on, and we kept telling him that if he worked hard that good things would happen, and now he’s getting his opportunity to go and kick for Tennessee. Going into the SEC, it’s big. It speaks a lot for him and his work ethic and for Carroll County. It’s been a while since we’ve had a kid go Division 1-A in football. It’s great opportunity for him.â€

Ayers’ chosen field of study – turf management – was a big factor in his going to Knoxville.

“Everything just clicked,†said Eddie Ayers, whose eldest son Lance is a placekicker at UVa.-Wise. “Everything fell in place. You’re not going to find a nicer coach anywhere than coach Fulmer. The whole staff was that way. They made us feel at home.â€

so UT was supposed to redshirt him his freshman year but i heard this the other day i haven't talked to cody yet since then but UT's punter was charged with a DUI and is out the first 5 games which means Cody will be starting the first 5 games this year