Ansel Ponder to attend Western Michigan

GetMoney55

slow down hoss, I know blfd is good and ponder is a good talent from this area but be logical. He is not a superieor talent...Remember this area produces gems once in a while, not every year.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

slow down hoss, I know blfd is good and ponder is a good talent from this area but be logical. He is not a superieor talent...Remember this area produces gems once in a while, not every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your posts make little to no sense.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

your posts dont make any sense. If you could look back into a past post, I compared Ansel Ponder's numbers to those of the top 10 wide receiver recruits this year and he beat them all out in all but one category which was weight. Better 40, better vert, better height, better lifts...all were superior except for the fact that their average weight was 204 and he weighs 185.

Shaun Brooks, on the other hand, I am not saying he is the "gem" that should come from this area, but he certainly is D-1 talent. If other players that I know from other parts of this country can get big D-1 attention, so should he.

Guest JJBrickface

Whats the difference in the recruitment of Ponder by WVU and other major D-1 programs? Are they suppose to offer him a scholarship just because he is from WV?

no, he was just upset with the fact that they dont recruit well with in-state players. Not that they didnt offer, but they wouldnt really talk to him, Shaun Brooks, or Jordan Roberts. He always brought up to me about how he would get offers from so many other schools but no offer from WVU and how any other D-1 school sees something but his home state school doesnt.

Guest JJBrickface

Jordan Roberts is walking on at WVU and is very excited about the opportunity.

but hasnt received an offer. Jordan Roberts, this is coming straight from his mouth, was mad that he wasnt offered a scholarship and was sketchy on his decision to take the WVU invite to walk-on. He was strongly considering Illinois before he was talked into accepted WVU's invite. This is coming straight from him...if you choose to not believe me.

This issue also angered both Shaun Brooks and Ansel Ponder. They were mad that such a good talent, especially instate, was not given a scholarship to play for a D-1 in state school. Ansel ruled out WVU a while ago and from what I know, Shaun Brooks has ruled them out also.

Guest JJBrickface

I believe you. If Roberts is indeed a good enough talent then he will earn a scholarship at WVU.

I see him earning that scholarship while he's there. He is a great back with the perfect work ethic to get the job done. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if he beats out some of the scholarship players there for spots on the field.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Congratulations to Ansel. He seems to be a good kid and a good athlete................................................................As far as the major D1 schools..........They get the best they can to compete for a national championship. Ansel may be that in a few years....who knows. Right now he wasn't on the teams radar for WR. They just signed the #1 rated reciever in the nation for next years class. They have to spend scholarships wisely. To them , he may be a roll of the dice and want him to get some experience at hargrave. That is where WVU gets a lot of athletes from. They send them there to get ready for major D1. I think Ansel will do very well in the MAC. He probably fits very well there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, correct me if I am wrong here, but didnt you say this earlier...

[ QUOTE ]

Never the less....it was stupid not to give a great alums son a scholarship. WVU gave Jerry West's son one.....he's not very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can give a formers players son a scholarship, but not an all state player, IN YOUR OWN STATE, who has recieved D-1 offers as well??? That makes no sense.

Lets weigh the options, give a scholarship to a kid that lives many many miles away from morgantown, had really no other D1 offers, you say he is horrible, but has ties to WVU through his daddy... So you give him a scholarship.

OR...

A player who is considered great by many, recruited by quite a few schools, was a star in your own state, has ties to your school by being the ONLY current major football program in the state, and you wont give him a scholarship? or at least consider it?

If you are gonna reward a player for being born to someone, why not reward a player for working his butt off, dominating competition in YOUR OWN STATE, and being a West Virginian???

Guest JJBrickface

I must be the only one who thinks you dont give a player a scholarship because of his family or because of his residency? lol

No I feel where youre coming from JJ. The thing is, WVU doesnt show hardly any attention to their own state's talent. They go anywhere and everywhere else to find it but wont pay attention to it when its smacking them in the face from a few minutes down the road. If a kid who plays for Morgantown High is terrible you dont give him a scholarship just because hes from West Virginia, but with certain players that are good, legit talent (Ansel, Jordan, Brooks) and you dont show them much attention when they are your in-state stars, then it looks pretty bad on their part.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I say you respect a player from being in state, because he probably dreamed of playing there. Why not take a chance on him, after all most people from WV get shafted because of the "competition" in WV... Why not sign a few players and give them a chance, and see if WV players can make a name for themselves?

LOOK UP A PRIOR POST OF MINE COMPARING ANSEL TO THE TOP 10 RECEIVER RECRUITS FOR THIS YEAR. YOU WILL BE AMAZED.

Put Ansel on a team where he is the only weapon, he shines just as bright and puts up even bigger numbers than those kids who are highly recruited.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Congratulations to Ansel. He seems to be a good kid and a good athlete................................................................As far as the major D1 schools..........They get the best they can to compete for a national championship. Ansel may be that in a few years....who knows. Right now he wasn't on the teams radar for WR. They just signed the #1 rated reciever in the nation for next years class. They have to spend scholarships wisely. To them , he may be a roll of the dice and want him to get some experience at hargrave. That is where WVU gets a lot of athletes from. They send them there to get ready for major D1. I think Ansel will do very well in the MAC. He probably fits very well there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, correct me if I am wrong here, but didnt you say this earlier...

[ QUOTE ]

Never the less....it was stupid not to give a great alums son a scholarship. WVU gave Jerry West's son one.....he's not very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you can give a formers players son a scholarship, but not an all state player, IN YOUR OWN STATE, who has recieved D-1 offers as well??? That makes no sense.

Lets weigh the options, give a scholarship to a kid that lives many many miles away from morgantown, had really no other D1 offers, you say he is horrible, but has ties to WVU through his daddy... So you give him a scholarship.

OR...

A player who is considered great by many, recruited by quite a few schools, was a star in your own state, has ties to your school by being the ONLY current major football program in the state, and you wont give him a scholarship? or at least consider it?

If you are gonna reward a player for being born to someone, why not reward a player for working his butt off, dominating competition in YOUR OWN STATE, and being a West Virginian???

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! I said that. Basketball Vs. Football as well. You are talking about someone who's jersey hangs on the wall and has a statue outside. He also drops plenty of money into the wallet of WVU. It was politics by WVU. It happens everywhere. However...it would have benefitted VT from doing that with Curry where it doesn't benefit WVU currently. I like Ansel...would love to see him in Morgantown, but as I said earlier....WVU is signing top of nation's athletes...look up Logan Heastie...#1 WR for the country next year...already a commit. I believe Ansel had the opportunity to walk on there as roberts did. I think he made the right choice if the WMU is offering a scholarship. No prob with Ansel...just facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that makes WVU have what 1 WR now that they have Heastie???

Lets look at the facts....

3 of the top 5 recievers at WVU are leaving (Schmitt,Slaton,Reynaud).

Slaton and Reynaud were the top 2.

The leading WR coming into the season Jalloh, will be a senior and has 34 catches, IN HIS CAREER.

Tito Gonzalez is after him, and he recieved almost 40% of all his yards on ONE CATCH.

Gonzalez's career high for catches in one game in TWO.

The great Wes Lyons caught a whopping total of SEVEN catches and ZERO Tds...

Joch Sanders had a total of TWELVE catches... Never caught more that 2 passes in one game.

The rest of the players are either RBs or people who have no page on ESPN (Brandon Hogan).

2 others have 1 catch a piece, Eddie Davis and Will Johnson for a combined TWO yards.

Now to discredit you recruiting comments... Logan Heastie is class of 2009. Ansel Ponder, Class of 2008.

Only one WR is signed for this year, and WVU will have 2 seniors, 1 junior, and a sophmore at WR next year. add in the freshman, and that makes 5. Depth may be needed.

As for Logan Heastie being the #1 WR in the country, Rivals has it like this, #22 in the nation overall, and behind Rueben Randle, Marlon Brown, and Randall Carroll all in front of him at WR...

Ansel i think deserved a scholarship...

I don't understand why anyone takes a thread congratulating a player from our area and makes into a shot at a school or something like that. Why can't it just be a congratulations. It was done when the Muncy and WF thing popped up. Just give these kids credit and leave it be. I'll do my part and delete my posts. If you want to discuss states' schools and scholarships..lets do it in another thread.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Just face it, I was right, you were wrong.

Why dont you get some facts?

Guest JJBrickface

But they didnt offer him a scholarship, right?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Always a VT thing for WVU when they have no answer...