Ansel Ponder to attend Western Michigan

GetMoney55

alright yes, one wide receiver. J.D. Woods from Florida is the lone receiver who has commited to WVU out of the class of 2008. Smaller and slower than both Ansel and Tyrone and yet he was offered in a state nearly 1,000 miles away while Ansel is ending up at WMU and Tyrone most likely at Charleston. MMM....nice job.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

alright yes, one wide receiver. J.D. Woods from Florida is the lone receiver who has commited to WVU out of the class of 2008. Smaller and slower than both Ansel and Tyrone and yet he was offered in a state nearly 1,000 miles away while Ansel is ending up at WMU and Tyrone most likely at Charleston. MMM....nice job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who else offered Ansel?

[ QUOTE ]

Where did I say he wasn't good enough to play?? All I said was that WVU didn't think he was good enough for a scholarhsip this year. Just liek VA Tech and SEVERAl other schools who thought the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason Virginia Tech couldn't get him a ship this year is because they were full. Several of the guys from this year's class are going to greyshirt and come in January next year. D.J Thomas was going to be one of them until he changed his mind and decided to sign with WVU because of qualifing issues with Blacksburg. Ansel apparently had a chance to get a ship with VT next year after a year at Hargrave. VT is only goin to have about 12-14 ships for next year the way it's looking right now. Did WVU offer to work with him for a ship next year if they were full this year??

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Western Kentucky, Prairy View A&M, Coastal Carolina, Eastern Carolina, all small WV schools, some D-2 schools elsewhere in the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point ProveN!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

No one whines and complains when WVU is mentioned, The situation we were discussing was WVU and their recruiting fallacies. VT has nothing to do with that whatsoever but yet you bring them up time and time again...

And why does my team matter? Because of whoever my favorite team is, does that allow you to slander them with comments just because your team has faulty recruiting practices, and you cant back them up with your own words so you go into talking crap about my team???

Lets stick to the subject at hand...WVU recruiting and the lack of giving instate players recognition and scholarships...

[/ QUOTE ]

You jumped in the convo and tech was mentioned and used as part of the argument. It was said that at least tech gave him some attention. It was said WVU did him wrong.

The thing is that if WVU needed him as a reciever they would have offered. HE WOULD NOT HAVE MADE AN IMPACT THIS COMING YEAR. WVU has 15 roster recievers, signed 1 for this year, and have #1 for 09 and trying to get a 4 star, 2 3 star and a few other recievers for 09. As far as player rankings.....Ansel wasn't ranked above the woods kid. He played in FLORIDA! Florida has competition. They probably feel he is more tested. Who knows. In the long run...noone on here knows hardly anything about recruiting compared to the coaches at these schools. They could have been recruiting Ponder in hopes of getting him in the rotation next year or beyond, but with some committs and interests elsewhere, they decided to give schollys to other postions.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Where did I say he wasn't good enough to play?? All I said was that WVU didn't think he was good enough for a scholarhsip this year. Just liek VA Tech and SEVERAl other schools who thought the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason Virginia Tech couldn't get him a ship this year is because they were full. Several of the guys from this year's class are going to greyshirt and come in January next year. D.J Thomas was going to be one of them until he changed his mind and decided to sign with WVU because of qualifing issues with Blacksburg. Ansel apparently had a chance to get a ship with VT next year after a year at Hargrave. VT is only goin to have about 12-14 ships for next year the way it's looking right now. Did WVU offer to work with him for a ship next year if they were full this year??

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a list of recievers they are already looking at for next year. WVU doesn't need 100 recievers.

Virginia Tech has a kid, safety Kam Chancellor that wasn't offered a D1 ship except VT's and he started as a true sophomore last season and is a damn good football player. He has a chance to make a lot of money either next year or the year after when he gets to the NFL. His numbers weren't eye popping in high school.

plenty of D-1 schools talked with him and were willing to work things out with the possibility of him attending Hargrave. No one promised him an offer and backed out of it like WVU did.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a list of recievers they are already looking at for next year. WVU doesn't need 100 recievers.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok guys...apparently this is a coach at WVU and we just dont know anything at all about WVU and he knows everything about them!!! we should all just bow down and say ok you are right we are wrong!

[ QUOTE ]

That is a slap in the face to Ponder to say that! How can you sit there and basically say that Ansel isn't good enough to play at WVU because they are "trying to win a MNC."

WHAT SCHOOL ISN'T TRYING TO WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP??

Virginia Tech is reaching for the same crystal football and they thought enough of Ponder to try to get him into Blacksburg after a year at Hargrave.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a slap to anyone. Just facts. Big time schools are after big time athletes. For all he knew Tech could have blown him off after that year at hargrave due to him not putting up numbers, injury, or commit from someone with superior skills at that position

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

That is a slap in the face to Ponder to say that! How can you sit there and basically say that Ansel isn't good enough to play at WVU because they are "trying to win a MNC."

WHAT SCHOOL ISN'T TRYING TO WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP??

Virginia Tech is reaching for the same crystal football and they thought enough of Ponder to try to get him into Blacksburg after a year at Hargrave.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a slap to anyone. Just facts. Big time schools are after big time athletes. For all he knew Tech could have blown him off after that year at hargrave due to him not putting up numbers, injury, or commit from someone with superior skills at that position

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT was a slap to the face...you just said Ansel isnt a big time player...did you even watch him play??? i know i did and WOW! that kid can play...best of luck to him at WMU...i know he will do good things...not only is he a reciever but an excellent return player...and a damn good DB at that too...he has excellent vision on the field and a very good kid off the field!

[ QUOTE ]

They really don't....and its sad...

[/ QUOTE ]

They do recruit in state. They recruit players that fit their system. The state of WV isn't a recruiting hot bed. I wish it was, I love my state. I watch tons of local sports. Just because they don't recruit heavily at one school or another or don't get the star of the area, doesn't make them bad recruiters or against their state. Ponder is a great guy and athlete, but evidently not what they needed at this time.

to say Ansel isnt a good football player, unworthy of going to a big D-1 program, is stupid. Ansel has the numbers, has the athleticism and truly all the capabilities of being someone great on the big stage. If you've ever watched him play football, or basketball for that matter, you know that he is a great athlete. Truly, I was more impressed with his basketball performance this year. Scoring 27 and 25 points against two 6'8 guys this year, one who is commited to WVU, and limitting both of them to under 10 points. Thats saying something.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

No one whines and complains when WVU is mentioned, The situation we were discussing was WVU and their recruiting fallacies. VT has nothing to do with that whatsoever but yet you bring them up time and time again...

And why does my team matter? Because of whoever my favorite team is, does that allow you to slander them with comments just because your team has faulty recruiting practices, and you cant back them up with your own words so you go into talking crap about my team???

Lets stick to the subject at hand...WVU recruiting and the lack of giving instate players recognition and scholarships...

[/ QUOTE ]

You jumped in the convo and tech was mentioned and used as part of the argument. It was said that at least tech gave him some attention. It was said WVU did him wrong.

The thing is that if WVU needed him as a reciever they would have offered. HE WOULD NOT HAVE MADE AN IMPACT THIS COMING YEAR. WVU has 15 roster recievers, signed 1 for this year, and have #1 for 09 and trying to get a 4 star, 2 3 star and a few other recievers for 09. As far as player rankings.....Ansel wasn't ranked above the woods kid. He played in FLORIDA! Florida has competition. They probably feel he is more tested. Who knows. In the long run...noone on here knows hardly anything about recruiting compared to the coaches at these schools. They could have been recruiting Ponder in hopes of getting him in the rotation next year or beyond, but with some committs and interests elsewhere, they decided to give schollys to other postions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are a 4 or 5 star recruit, you are huge. The rest are just decent players who have yet to prove themselves, or are not in a recruiting bed.

And i find it hilarious that you think that automatically because he is from Fl that he is better. Ask Concord about players in Florida. 1-10 baby. Best players on the team are from WV. Just cause he is in Florida only allows him to be seen by the people that run scouts/rivals. And most of the time, when a player gets an offer from a big school, then the stars go up. Take JOrdan Roberts for example.

And you make no sense on the Tech deal, cause i started this conversation, when you mispoke about WVU giving out scholarships to those not worthy... Tech should never be in this conversation, period. This involves a kid and his own state accepting him...

I know plenty of high school football players in Florida, mainly south Florida which is THE RECRUITING HOTBED, and they will all agree that most players down there are either very good or they are just regular guys who happen to play football. Some every now and then will get a nice D-2 or D-3 scholarship offer.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are a 4 or 5 star recruit, you are huge. The rest are just decent players who have yet to prove themselves, or are not in a recruiting bed.

And i find it hilarious that you think that automatically because he is from Fl that he is better. Ask Concord about players in Florida. 1-10 baby. Best players on the team are from WV. Just cause he is in Florida only allows him to be seen by the people that run scouts/rivals. And most of the time, when a player gets an offer from a big school, then the stars go up. Take JOrdan Roberts for example.

And you make no sense on the Tech deal, cause i started this conversation, when you mispoke about WVU giving out scholarships to those not worthy... Tech should never be in this conversation, period. This involves a kid and his own state accepting him...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious or not...Florida is a recruiting hot bed. Many more athletes there. Many more schools there. Numbers kinda make that true. As far as him being a better athelte....well he has played against better talent for sure. What "talented" teams have Bluefield played this year. For this area .......even most say that AA is weak.

And the whole tech thing started by others insinuating that tech treating him better and they aren't even in his own state.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

on recuiting instate Rocks said this...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was there for when i said I would be a WVU fan if Ansel went there and I also believe he was there beside me when A teacher asked him if his test scores were good enough, and I heard Ansel say "good enough for WVU".

People from the state put money into that program, as well as time and enthusiam. Without the fans, what would Milan-Puskar stadium be like? The fans are from WV, so why not give them what they want to see, a few players from WV...

Woods is from Naples, and doesnt even go to the best school in that area which is Naples High School. the Naples area-west in that part of Florida is weak in football. Hardly any competition there other than Naples High School itself which truly just emerged this season as their signature win beating the power of Glades Central High School. Woods hasnt played good competition. Much like Jimmy Clausen. Both played in great football states but in weak regions of competition for those states.

[ QUOTE ]

on recuiting instate Rocks said this...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was there for when i said I would be a WVU fan if Ansel went there and I also believe he was there beside me when A teacher asked him if his test scores were good enough, and I heard Ansel say "good enough for WVU".

People from the state put money into that program, as well as time and enthusiam. Without the fans, what would Milan-Puskar stadium be like? The fans are from WV, so why not give them what they want to see, a few players from WV...

[/ QUOTE ]

Reed Williams and Marc Magro both from the great state of WV and I enjoyed watching them play.

I mean this in the most sincere way...not being a smarty pants lol either. Some people think that the states athletic programs should revolve around some schools. This isn't Odessa Texas people. WVU isn't going to give a scholarship to someone unless they feel that they will help the program when they need them too, how they need them too as well. It's ok that they don't get everyone. Josh Culbertson and Jordan Roberts are both going to try to walk on. I'm sure they would let ponder walk on as well if want to. EARN a scholarship there. Right not just probably wasn't the best time for a WR recruit with all that is being recruited.