Grundy still has a shot to get to Single A...

swvasport_7

I just heard from a good source that there is a bunch of people going in front of the school board tomar trying to convince them to still put us down. There is alot of people mad at Mrs. Horne decision to keep us at AA. If the school board votes to go down then it overrides the decision made earlier, thats how I was explained.

[ QUOTE ]

I just heard from a good source that there is a bunch of people going in front of the school board tomar trying to convince them to still put us down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish ppl. would stop putting us down.

[ QUOTE ]

There is alot of people mad at Mrs. Horne decision to keep us at AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is different from the past 10 years ... how?

[ QUOTE ]

If the school board votes to go down then it overrides the decision made earlier, thats how I was explained.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine and dandy, but don't expect the VHSL to allow a county board to mess up the process. It'll take a HUGE lawsuit to drop us to A for 2009.

it'll never happen, regardless of what the school board wants or thinks at this point...done deal until 2011.

I'm not a big Horne fan, but she did the right thing in this case in staying at AA.

At this point, its best to wait it out and follow along when Tazewell, Graham, and Richlands drop. If Grundy had dropped now the kids would have had limited oppurtunities to participate in a few sports programs. Some would have been dropped all together. Its a good move to play up right now.

I think Grundy did the right thing, but saying that there would be "LIMITED OPPORTUNITIES" is ridiculous. True the BDD does not have wrestling, but it does have every other sport.

I know that Grundy would lose gate money by going to A, especially from the Graham and Richlands games and I think that it could have a huge impact on their budget. But to argue that the kids would not have opportunities in sports because single A schools do not offer them is not accurate.

just rambling....

Im actually for us going down, I just don't see us competing in any sports in the SWD excpet for wrestling. I know we won the SWD title in basketball I think 2 years ago and we had alot of talent on this years team but all of those players or graduating this year (Cody B, Bobby P, DJ.) And Joe graduates next year. I think your going to see Grundy drop in there basketball program (i hope am wrong) I mean we are the smallest team in AA and we would just be in the middle of the pact A. You can say it would hurt Grundys main sport (wrestling) but they way I was told is if Grundy went to the BDD they would automatic. be in the regional tounament cause there is no distric tounament. They could also wrestle in bigger tounaments around the US.

I heard that "someone" has been running all over Grundy getting people to sign petitions, not even knowing what they are all about. There was even another petition for AAA for 30 minutes and had over 150 names that wanted to go to AAA. People are just signing stuff because someone tells them it's the right thing to do, not even really knowing what the "thing" is all about.

Once again the elite few in Grundy have shown the rest of the state that we are a walking cluster Fu@k that can't do anything without dividing the town on two sides....when are they going to learn?

Those of you in the loop on this crap need to take a look around and see what you are doing and why...

Wrestling? You will win state for 20 straight years but no one will respect it, everyone will just say you couldn't beat C'burg and you went to A just to win state...that's just what will be said, even if it's not true.

Football? What's to gain? Nothing...if you manage to win the BDD you are done...no way you can compete in the region or state in football with the way things are now.

Basketball? What's to gain? Nothing...you won't beat Twin Valley and if you do you are done in the region...no state here.

Girls sports? What's to gain? Nothing...what girls sport is going to gain from dropping?

Baseball? Does Grundy even have a baseball team anymore?

Cross Country? How many kids actually participate in Cross Country? How many people go out to watch the cross country team and their adventures?

What other opportunities are there for the kids if Grundy drops to A level? Let's hear them...

**Side Note: I also heard that "someone" went out and opened a checking account in Grundy's name and solicited donations and then cashed checks made out to Grundy High School. I don't know if that's true or not, just what I heard...but if it is true there is some explaining that will need to be done once the dust settles from all this crap.

All I read is "no talent"...most 90% of these boy's have 2/3 yrs left before they graduate..."NO TALENT" Im damn glad they dont beleive the crap some people post,Im glad they beleive in there coaches since some of you dont Im glad that I aint seen or heard a football player one say he wants to leave the SWD and most of all Im glad that these boy's that pour there hearts out and knock heads for 48 minutes on Friday nights still BELEIVE theyll play on Saturday in December before they graduate..And by the way,I beleive in them...

If Grundy can't compete in AA, and supposedly Grundy can't compete in A, then to me it sounds like a bigger problem than merely classification. Grundy has nothing to gain by staying AA now and dropping to A when Graham and Tazewell potentially do for the next cycle. And who is to say those other SWD schools drop next cycle? What does Grundy do then, when enrollment nears the sub-400 mark?

There are no awards for "playing up". Somebody, the people who have the authority, needs to put the kids at their best interest.

I have to agree with buc64....The BDD teams have every spot but Wrestling....It would even be better for the Wrestling program.....Why would you want to stay up and take beatens by every SWD school in football when you have a chance to win 2 games in the BDD...Even in the BDD Grundy cant compete with Haysi and Honaker and it would be a toss up between Grundy Hurley and TV...The move only makes sense...Quit worrying about the financial part of it and think about the kids

I have yet to see anyone answer how it benefits the kids by moving down to A level? What is at A level that is not at AA level? Other than a free pass to state for the wrestling team, which you guys know as well as I do, no one will respect...what is there "for the kids"...there is all this talk about "for the kids"...well what is there?

No gains in Football, Basketball, or Baseball...or that I can see in girls sports....so WHAT is the benefit?

As for the talent comment, Grundy has a lot of "raw" talent, unfortunatly at this point it was never allowed to develope before it came to the Sr. High...Graham doesn't have that many more kids than Grundy, nor does Tazewell...if the numbers continue do decline and/or if the VHSL goes to a 4A or 5A system...which could happen...then there will probably not be a change to the SWD other than Abingdon or Carrol County moving out possibly in certain situations if that happened.

The SWD has a long and rich history...Grundy has been a major part of that...again I ask...what is the benefit to the kids of moving to Single A at this point? Explain to me how they will all of the sudden be able to compete with the Sigle A powerhouses any better than they do in a weak (other than Richlands in football) SWD?

You want to drop down to A just to beat Twin Valley and Hurley in football each year? I've got news for you...those are not "gimmie's" anymore at this point...Grundy could schedule both of those teams every year in football and stay at AA level if they wanted to...but ask yourself, do you want see an end to Grundy vs. Richlands...Grundy vs. Tazewell....Grundy vs. Graham? Because a drop to A level could mean just that...with the current points system, any of the AA teams would probably get more points losing to a good AA team or even a bad AAA team than they would winning a game against Grundy at A level...they will carry no bonus points.

So again...WHAT is there to gain for the "kids" of Grundy by moving to A level?

[ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with buc64....The BDD teams have every spot but Wrestling....It would even be better for the Wrestling program.....Why would you want to stay up and take beatens by every SWD school in football when you have a chance to win 2 games in the BDD...Even in the BDD Grundy cant compete with Haysi and Honaker and it would be a toss up between Grundy Hurley and TV...The move only makes sense...Quit worrying about the financial part of it and think about the kids

[/ QUOTE ]

The financial part of it is about the kids. If GHS doesn't have the SWD teams to play in football ensuring large gates, how will the other sports get their funding? The RHS/GHS games are big money for GHS and the football gates support everything else. The other SWD teams have already said they would not play GHS if they go A.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The financial part of it is about the kids. If GHS doesn't have the SWD teams to play in football ensuring large gates, how will the other sports get their funding? The RHS/GHS games are big money for GHS and the football gates support everything else. The other SWD teams have already said they would not play GHS if they go A.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that the other SWD teams wouldn't play Grundy would just be the fact its not going to help come playoff, time.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that the other SWD teams wouldn't play Grundy would just be the fact its not going to help come playoff, time.

[/ QUOTE ]

well thats the whole point...the only A level teams that they schedule now are ones that will carry bonus points...and Grundy will have none to offer...it would be counter productive for any AA school to schedule Grundy at A level.

What are the other sports going to do without football money to fund them? So the gate issue does have a lot to do with "the kids"...without that money who is going to pay for the other sports support?

[ QUOTE ]

I have yet to see anyone answer how it benefits the kids by moving down to A level? What is at A level that is not at AA level? Other than a free pass to state for the wrestling team, which you guys know as well as I do, no one will respect...what is there "for the kids"...there is all this talk about "for the kids"...well what is there?

No gains in Football, Basketball, or Baseball...or that I can see in girls sports....so WHAT is the benefit?

As for the talent comment, Grundy has a lot of "raw" talent, unfortunatly at this point it was never allowed to develope before it came to the Sr. High...Graham doesn't have that many more kids than Grundy, nor does Tazewell...if the numbers continue do decline and/or if the VHSL goes to a 4A or 5A system...which could happen...then there will probably not be a change to the SWD other than Abingdon or Carrol County moving out possibly in certain situations if that happened.

The SWD has a long and rich history...Grundy has been a major part of that...again I ask...what is the benefit to the kids of moving to Single A at this point? Explain to me how they will all of the sudden be able to compete with the Sigle A powerhouses any better than they do in a weak (other than Richlands in football) SWD?

You want to drop down to A just to beat Twin Valley and Hurley in football each year? I've got news for you...those are not "gimmie's" anymore at this point...Grundy could schedule both of those teams every year in football and stay at AA level if they wanted to...but ask yourself, do you want see an end to Grundy vs. Richlands...Grundy vs. Tazewell....Grundy vs. Graham? Because a drop to A level could mean just that...with the current points system, any of the AA teams would probably get more points losing to a good AA team or even a bad AAA team than they would winning a game against Grundy at A level...they will carry no bonus points.

So again...WHAT is there to gain for the "kids" of Grundy by moving to A level?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what Im saying Lance this is a very young team still....A lot of good kids and a abundance of raw talent...They beleive,I just wish others would ..

[ QUOTE ]

Thats what Im saying Lance this is a very young team still....A lot of good kids and a abundance of raw talent...They beleive,I just wish others would ..

[/ QUOTE ]

others will believe when you give them reason to...

Things will get better...it will just take time...and work...going to A level is not going to solve any problems.

I heard that it was a hot topic tonight but the Wave will probably stay at AA....which is good...maybe life can go on now.

[ QUOTE ]

If Grundy can't compete in AA, and supposedly Grundy can't compete in A, then to me it sounds like a bigger problem than merely classification. Grundy has nothing to gain by staying AA now and dropping to A when Graham and Tazewell potentially do for the next cycle. And who is to say those other SWD schools drop next cycle? What does Grundy do then, when enrollment nears the sub-400 mark?

There are no awards for "playing up". Somebody, the people who have the authority, needs to put the kids at their best interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

You summed it up pretty good i think

Did anyone here how that meeting went tonite?

When I mentioned limited opportunities, I was not simply referring to sports programs that might or might not be available. As Lance and others have stated; Dropping now would mean a huge drop off in gate monies. The last time I coached it was my understanding that these monies funded your next season. When I coached, it was football money that helped support all other sports. We played BDD teams and the money was tight because you lose the number of supporters coming to all events. Drop now and you lose money which “will†result in other programs being dropped. If you wait for other SWD teams (and they will come down) then you should not fall as short on money and other SWD schools will also try and maintain as many programs as possible. That is the reason for staying at this level for now. If by some insane decision other teams do not come down and your enrollment keeps falling then make a move.