Grundy still has a shot to get to Single A...

swvasport_7

The other teams single A teams manage to survive financially and if they win a few more games it will bring more fans...you ask "waht does it do to benefit the kids?" It will give them more confidence when they win more games and you will probably have more numbers to come out and play

It's my understanding that a capacity crowd showed up at the Board meeting this evening and the issue was discussed. After some facts and numbers where thrown out and a few opinions were heard, the board decided to not take this decision to a vote. Grundy will be AA.

[ QUOTE ]

The other teams single A teams manage to survive financially and if they win a few more games it will bring more fans...you ask "waht does it do to benefit the kids?" It will give them more confidence when they win more games and you will probably have more numbers to come out and play

[/ QUOTE ]

and again I say...Grundy could schedule those same games you are saying they could win as a AA team...there is no benefit of dropping to A level at this time...if there is one I'm still waiting to hear it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent seen a lack of confidence in these kids (and if you where in the weight room a week after football season you wouldnt have seen any lack of either)as more kids coming out to play that doesent float either...When it comes to a contact sport either you got the kahunas or you dont. As far as scheduling Hurley and Twin Valley as you allude to do you actually think they wanna bump heads with Grundy year end year out? I doubt it very seriously..What you and a lot of other peole dont realize is with 3 losing seasons AA teams still dont wanna schedule us for what ever reason making it hard for Coach Rowe to keep us with a 10 game schedule.They did the right thing.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I havent seen a lack of confidence in these kids (and if you where in the weight room a week after football season you wouldnt have seen any lack of either)as more kids coming out to play that doesent float either...When it comes to a contact sport either you got the kahunas or you dont. As far as scheduling Hurley and Twin Valley as you allude to do you actually think they wanna bump heads with Grundy year end year out? I doubt it very seriously..What you and a lot of other peole dont realize is with 3 losing seasons AA teams still dont wanna schedule us for what ever reason making it hard for Coach Rowe to keep us with a 10 game schedule.They did the right thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say most AA schools do not want to schedule Grundy because, 1) you are not winning games, so it doesn’t help them with points, and 2) No one wants to go to Grundy. I seriously doubt that many teams are scared of Grundy (on the football field that is), after the past few years.

I doubt Twin Valley or Hurley would mind traveling to Grundy.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say most AA schools do not want to schedule Grundy because, 1) you are not winning games, so it doesn’t help them with points, and 2) No one wants to go to Grundy. I seriously doubt that many teams are scared of Grundy (on the football field that is), after the past few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point it doesn't matter if they want to come to Grundy or not, they/you have to because it is still AA. That will keep money coming in to fund everything else.

As if everyone wants to come to Richlands!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with buc64....The BDD teams have every spot but Wrestling....It would even be better for the Wrestling program.....Why would you want to stay up and take beatens by every SWD school in football when you have a chance to win 2 games in the BDD...Even in the BDD Grundy cant compete with Haysi and Honaker and it would be a toss up between Grundy Hurley and TV...The move only makes sense...Quit worrying about the financial part of it and think about the kids

[/ QUOTE ]

The financial part of it is about the kids. If GHS doesn't have the SWD teams to play in football ensuring large gates, how will the other sports get their funding? The RHS/GHS games are big money for GHS and the football gates support everything else. The other SWD teams have already said they would not play GHS if they go A.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight....Grundy will be the only school in the area that will not be able to fund "other" sports if they drop to single A!?!?!?

How then is it possible for Single A schools to fund their sports? This argument doesn't hold water. The only sport that Grundy offers that Twin Valley and Hurley do not offer is wrestling, THATS IT......they each manage to FUND other programs quite well, using a single A schedule.

I admit that Grundy needs to stay at AA level. I realize that the gate loss would hurt their financial situation, but Grundy High School WOULD STILL BE ABLE TO SUPPORT OTHER SPORTS!

There are a host of schools in SWVA that manage just fine to support just as many OTHER sports and they are all Single A.

Some of these arguments have little to any thought behind them, and this is one of 'em.

Would Grundy lose money by dropping to Single A? Yes and No.

They would collectively lose money due to the loss of revenue from FOOTBALL gates with Richlands, Graham etc. In other sports such as basketball they would do fine, probably even better. They would not lose sports programs however as a result. This is not the issue.

Lance pointed out something that appears to be the leading argument. What does Grundy have to gain by moving down to Single A?

At this time which one benefits them most?

IN my opinion (which may be wrong) I think they should remain AA until the other SWD schools make a move.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure they survive financially, but do they have the ability to have the other sports? Do they have tennis, volleyball, golf, wrestling? The folks who wanted GHS to go down to A keep talking about how much better it will be for other sports like cross country, soccer, etc. They must not realize how much harder that it will be to keep sports like that going with the reduced income from football attendance. But they didn't think of that aspect. Most of them don't even know where the money to support the athletic dept. comes from.

Talked to the principal at Twin Valley, she told me they had to drain all their accounts to go to the state tourney, even after the supervisors had gave them additional funding. Sure you will make it, but the quality in which you make it, is like driving a BMW to a volkswagon. You guys in Buchanan County have it made in reguards to the supervisors funding for certain sports, other counties do not have that benefit.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point it doesn't matter if they want to come to Grundy or not, they/you have to because it is still AA. That will keep money coming in to fund everything else.

As if everyone wants to come to Richlands!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes I would say AA schools would rather come to Richlands rather than Grundy, based on location and strength of opponent. I’m not saying Richlands > Grundy, I’m just saying how a visiting school would look at things.

You guys are a little sensitive over there at Grundy these days. Opps, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to generalize all of the males that live in Grundy.

Just another example where you are going out of your way to say something about Grundy in a NON SPORTS RELATED way on a messageboard for FOOTBALL and FOOTBALL RELATED TOPICS. You're intitled to your opinion but the more you do this, the more you prove my point. That's just my opinion though.

[ QUOTE ]

Just another example where you are going out of your way to say something about Grundy in a NON SPORTS RELATED way on a messageboard for FOOTBALL and FOOTBALL RELATED TOPICS. You're intitled to your opinion but the more you do this, the more you prove my point. That's just my opinion though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up a little... it is a joke!!!

I have never gone out of my way to say anything about Grundy. HAHA There are 5 threads about Grundy on the front page...no one has to go out of their way to say anything about Grundy...I was simply replying to one of the many threads that have been started over the past couple of weeks pertaining to Grundy. Before you even say anything: No, I don’t care that there is a lot of talk about Grundy. I'm actually glad people are posting more. There for a while the football board was kind of boring.

Goodness, all I have done is say that someone should use spell checker, and I stated the reasons why I think a visiting team may not want to play Grundy. Then I made a joke (a bad one at that). Take a deep breath and calm down a little.