The Future of Graham High School Football.

futbolking

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

He played on the 2004 and 2007 squads. I thought it was just funny that he was wearing a state championship shirt while the kid from Graham had a district championship shirt on.

[/ QUOTE ]

See this is the funny part to me. Winning a state championship in West Virginia football is......not prestigious. And Bluefield fans act like thier program is the conquering horde. It makes for some really interesting conversations to tell Beaver fans that the two best teams they played last year bot were from Virginia and one was "single A". The look on their faces is priceless.

[/ QUOTE ]

When last season's schedule was released, I told everyone that I know Richlands and William Campbell would be the two toughest games of the season. I will not have a priceless look on my face, but a proud look on my face because unless you forgot, we did beat both of those teams. So quit you damn whinning and give Bluefield some credit for their accomplishments.

[ QUOTE ]

Somebody said that Graham plays Christiansburg first this season?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Graham will play Christiansburg before they play Bluefield this year because the VA season is scheduled to start one week earlier than the WV season.

[ QUOTE ]

Winning your class AA, Region 14, Section 12, Minor District 47.5, Subdivision Alpha Bravo, "state" championship isnt prestigious either. When youre the best, youre the best, no matter what anyone can say to you. I dont care if youre former high school in Rhode Island is famous winning 9 state titles or if your buddies high school from Texas has won 9 state titles, Id say theyre both great teams and have accomplished what a whole lot of other schools couldnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between VA and WV is basically this......With 6 divisions for football and about 310 schools each classification has around 52 schools. The last time I looked there were only about 120 high schools in the entire state of West Virginia. Which averages out to about 40 per classification. So virginia is a little larger in that respect. The major difference is this, or at least in southwest virginia. The largest division 3 team in Region IV is Richlands, with about 769 kids grades 9-12, the last three years they played for a state title they played Turner Ashby,Rockbridge,and Monticello. The enrollments for those schools were 1111(Turner Ashby), 1071(Rockbridge), and Monticello(1143). When Graham played for the title in 01, they had about 550 kids to Harrisonburg's 1200. We are playing larger schools with more athletes. Last time I checked I never saw Bluefield beat Morgantown,Mussleman,Woodrow Wilson,John Marshall or Riverside for a state title,which are all schools in that enrollment range. Bluefield beat Grafton (570), Wayne (547), and James Monroe (483). Now that is not a slam on Bluefield by any means. You can only play who they put in front of you. But, it also gives you no right to slam on Virginia schools either, especially the ones who have played you and know that if you were in virginia you would fare no better than we have. Sometimes the truth hurts.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Winning your class AA, Region 14, Section 12, Minor District 47.5, Subdivision Alpha Bravo, "state" championship isnt prestigious either. When youre the best, youre the best, no matter what anyone can say to you. I dont care if youre former high school in Rhode Island is famous winning 9 state titles or if your buddies high school from Texas has won 9 state titles, Id say theyre both great teams and have accomplished what a whole lot of other schools couldnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between VA and WV is basically this......With 6 divisions for football and about 310 schools each classification has around 52 schools. The last time I looked there were only about 120 high schools in the entire state of West Virginia. Which averages out to about 40 per classification. So virginia is a little larger in that respect. The major difference is this, or at least in southwest virginia. The largest division 3 team in Region IV is Richlands, with about 769 kids grades 9-12, the last three years they played for a state title they played Turner Ashby,Rockbridge,and Monticello. The enrollments for those schools were 1111(Turner Ashby), 1071(Rockbridge), and Monticello(1143). When Graham played for the title in 01, they had about 550 kids to Harrisonburg's 1200. We are playing larger schools with more athletes. Last time I checked I never saw Bluefield beat Morgantown,Mussleman,Woodrow Wilson,John Marshall or Riverside for a state title,which are all schools in that enrollment range. Bluefield beat Grafton (570), Wayne (547), and James Monroe (483). Now that is not a slam on Bluefield by any means. You can only play who they put in front of you. But, it also gives you no right to slam on Virginia schools either, especially the ones who have played you and know that if you were in virginia you would fare no better than we have. Sometimes the truth hurts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Marion is a bigger divison 3 region IV school than Richlands. This years attendance is a little over 800.

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

I'd say Graham will be a pretty decent team this coming season. They return a good amount of players and I'm looking forward to this Bluefield/Graham game to start the season right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham lost a few but return a bunch.so they could suprise some teams this year.i wouldnt overlook them.they are do a good year.could this be the year?only time will tell.good luck Graham.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you think of the size of these schools Richlands and Graham have played, think of a combined team of "Richlands and Graham" and you'll be in the size range of what a SW Virginia teams ends up going against.

with the exception of Grundy id say Graham is one of the smallest AA schools in VA.there are single A schools with a higher enrollment than Graham.weve always played bigger schools in the playoffs.usually twice the size.

• 5 weeks later...

Exactly, i'm not trying to stir controversy i'm wondering what is going on up in Bluefield. They returned a lot of talent especially on the line. Be a shame to waste it by letting others catch and surpass you in the pre-season.

most summer workouts arent attended by the team...they work out on their own time...its not a big deal...once two-a-days start there will be nothing wrong with them

[ QUOTE ]

most summer workouts arent attended by the team...they work out on their own time...its not a big deal...once two-a-days start there will be nothing wrong with them

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah there will be a problem if they don't have any players..i think there needs to be a change in bluefield...

no...there wont be a problem...the workouts are not mandatory and many students say they need the summer to relax and do as they please...once football starts...they wont do anything at all during days because of two-a-days and nothing at night because of being tired and having to wake up early...there is nothing wrong at all...like i said...not many players go during the summer...they all go during the spring to workout and take the summer off and just work out whenever they feel like it...

well i do play football at graham and all this talk about no one coming to weight lifting is bull crap and id put myself or any other starting lineman except one and we would out lift any one on any team around here. this offensive line is monstrous and its gonna be a shame for you guys to find out the way your gonna

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Marion is a bigger divison 3 region IV school than Richlands. This years attendance is a little over 800.

[/ QUOTE ]

not to make a big fuss, but i noticed that your numbers are off only because WV only counts 3 grades when they do a census, therefore you can add about 150-200 kids for each of those numbers for JM Grafton and Wayne...

I dont think you can compare the 2, it probably changes every year in which one was harder to win...

[ QUOTE ]

well i do play football at graham and all this talk about no one coming to weight lifting is bull crap and id put myself or any other starting lineman except one and we would out lift any one on any team around here. this offensive line is monstrous and its gonna be a shame for you guys to find out the way your gonna

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so happy that you and your "ONE" teammate are so strong. Players don't have to attend these early summer workouts. I know plenty of guys that have not attended these in the past, and probably won't this year. I am not saying they do not work out at all, they just work out on their own time and not with the team.

There is nothing wrong with it at all.

[ QUOTE ]

sorry man that wasnt aimed at you just trying to clear up crap

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no man. I over-reacted. I was in a bad mood that night bud. I need to start making a disclaimer on my posts when I am under the influence of anger.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hes right guys.Graham will have a huge line this year.one of the biggest in years.

• 5 weeks later...

yea and they r getting a good running back kyle harris i watched the one game were he broke the 90+ yard td run and i thought he should have been playing more atleast kick return and i watched him in middle school he is D-1 if he works hard