coal classic scrimmage

zack

[ QUOTE ]

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_160204139.html/resources_printstory

here is the story unless the date is wrong, gman.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's old and you can tell by the following sentence: Richlands, the Group AA champs in the Old Dominion, and Wayne, the Class AA title-holders in the Mountain State, will compete, according to Classic coordinator Rick Taylor.

Look at the date in the story...Friday, August 17th...I know the BDT is bad sometimes but August 17th is on Sunday this year.

I don't think any plans for Coal Classic have been made or set in stone yet. Going to be difficult finding some teams I would imagine since WV's season starts one week later than VA this year.

But I'll keep my ears open...

the date i guess is wrong, in fact when is the coal classic usually because bassett is showing to scrimmage graham on august 9th.http://www.bassettbengalfootball.com/Schedule2008.htm

also, salem scrimmages ec glass in lynchburg on august 16th and potomac falls in sterling virginia on august 21, which is a long way to go for a scrimmage.

yeah thats last years coal classic lineup.im not sure martinsville will be asked to attend this years classic.would like to see salem or amherst in this years classic from va and parkersburg south and morgantown from wv.who would you guys like to see?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

their coach is an idiot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that and their "skeered"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that's what I was thinking. And they should have a decent team this year too, well until he screws it up anyway.

Well Princeton has the talent to be a good team, however, they haven't the athletes to run the spread option offense. Spadaro is an idiot. Jerell Powell should not be the quarterback of that team, as Austin Harris, the backup, showed that he should have the starting role when Powell went down with an injury one game this year. Harris came in and did very well, throwing two touchdowns and no interceptions if im not mistaken...meanwhile Jerell was known to be joked with as "Jerell 3:16" (3 touchdowns, 16 interceptions). Powell fits into Spadaro's spread option offensive scheme, however, they dont have the athletes around Powell and Tevin Allen, the running back, to do that offense justice. So the fact that Spadaro is scared along with being a complete fool wont help them succeed this coming year.

I know for a fact that Wayne will NOT be in the coal classic scrimmage this year. Everyone from Wayne enjoyed it, but we were not asked back this particular year, which is fine and wasn't out of ill-will. First class event all the way, and hopefully we'll participate in it again in the future.

Not to be overly vague, but it's still really early and crazy things happen over the summer. Passing scrimmages don't really tell you much. Guys have an entire month + left to continue to build strength and mass. Lost a lot of quality from last year personel wise, but not much from a quantity standpoint.

Truthfully, I think it'll be a typical Wayne team from the past several years.

All you have to do is look at the playoff program from last year...we lost our best all-around player (who missed half of last season, Justin Gilkerson)...we lost our fastest player (who missed half of last year, Rodney Endicott)...we lost our biggest player (Brett Curtis)...we lost our big-play TE/leading receiver (Jeremy Maynard)...we lost our best DL (Chris Thevinen and Rob Shilot).

That's about it though. We're not exactly replacing them with kids that haven't played a lot. If the new starters stay hungry...we'll be ok.

One more note...from what I understand, Wayne-James Monroe is a 1-year contract. The Mavericks will not return the game at Wayne. Fine by me...we truthfully have a shot to meet in the playoffs any given year, but I do hope we get to play in 2009 in the semifinals. Location isn't important to me. Looking forward to the game...not sure if I can make it (I may have to work in Madison, Wisconsin the next day), but I REALLY want to go...

Don't know for sure, but I would imagine coach Jackson will be running basically the same offense as he did before. Multiple sets, will set up in a wing T formation as the base, but a whole lot of other stuff, including some spread formations.

Don't know how successful they'll be because I don't know who the QB will be, but there should be more emphasis on the passing game this year. I would guess instead of 90 percent run , you're probably looking at more like 60-65 percent run

[ QUOTE ]

Don't know for sure, but I would imagine coach Jackson will be running basically the same offense as he did before. Multiple sets, will set up in a wing T formation as the base, but a whole lot of other stuff, including some spread formations.

Don't know how successful they'll be because I don't know who the QB will be, but there should be more emphasis on the passing game this year. I would guess instead of 90 percent run , you're probably looking at more like 60-65 percent run

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that's about right. The good thing about the wing T that we ran before is it's VERY similar to the single wing, big difference being the "blocking back" isn't there and you have an under-center QB.

Jackson would like to run-pass 50-50, bit 60-70 run and 30-40 pass is definetly a little more realistic unless we've got some type of secret weapons at QB and WR.