the SWD

GHS61

[ QUOTE ]

lol...yeah how am I full of myself? that makes no sense BigD...sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you asked "Why on earth would he move from Atlanta to anywhere close to Richlands" and called it a "bunch-o-crap" when you were given a direct quote. Then you criticized HIS decision after the situation that brought him here was explained to you. He's just a 15 year old kid trying to earn some playing time, but you asked why he was here and you were given an answer. You really don't have to believe it

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because Atlanta would be a great place to raise children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just b/c ATL has traffic, crime, tremendous heat and humidity, a "keeping up w/the Joneses" mentality, and you don't know your neighbors on the next block (however, gossip is kept to a minimum b/c of this) and last but not least, no water, b/c you have those "gators" as a neighboring state.....(and they're wanting to take all of our drinking water for their mussels downstream)....otherwise, ATL is a great place to live.

I'm glad I've lived on "both sides of the street"...the rural and the urban. There's benefits to both as well as downsides for both....every area has its undesirables w/ATL being no exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wansnt trying to put down ATL. I love the city. But it would seem to me that it would be much easier to raise children in an area such as this, rather than a large city like Atlanta.

Besides, I doubt the kid made the choice to move to Richlands. Im sure it was his parents that made the decision. He didnt move here to win a state championship....he moved here because his parents moved here.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you asked "Why on earth would he move from Atlanta to anywhere close to Richlands" and called it a "bunch-o-crap" when you were given a direct quote. Then you criticized HIS decision after the situation that brought him here was explained to you. He's just a 15 year old kid trying to earn some playing time, but you asked why he was here and you were given an answer. You really don't have to believe it

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to go back and actually read what i said...if you need any help, let me know.

Okay, read it, understand it, you can't believe the "poor kid" would want to leave Atlanta and come to Richlands. Bluefield maybe, but not Richlands.

This is my last comment on this subject. HE chose to come to Richlands and live with relatives because HE wanted to play football at Richlands High School. His parents didn't relocate. HE did. Do you need any help understanding that???

[ QUOTE ]

I wansnt trying to put down ATL. I love the city. But it would seem to me that it would be much easier to raise children in an area such as this, rather than a large city like Atlanta.

Besides, I doubt the kid made the choice to move to Richlands. Im sure it was his parents that made the decision. He didnt move here to win a state championship....he moved here because his parents moved here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...my point was "poor kid"...who knows how he really feels, but as a 15 year old, i'd think it would suck to move from the ATL area to Richlands...there is NOTHING to do in Richlands.

and as far as Richlands goes, it's no different from any other place as far as it's fair share of drugs, theft, and other crime...

The other point, and what BigD is bent out of shape over...it was said he moved here to "win a championship"...you don't have to move to Richlands to do that...obviously. Going to State every year and getting beat doesn't make you a champion by the way...you guys are what 1 out of 4? Don't get me wrong..it's great to get there...but if I was going to base moving my kid 600+ miles just to "win a championship"...which is what was said...then I'd find a place that acutally wins it...and there are places in the ATL area that are not "huge" schools that fit that bill...if your kid has talent, you don't need to find a AA level school in VA 600 miles away to showcase it in...now do you?

SO..you say it's because his family is here...well great...welcome home...but don't try to say it's "to win championships"...because as I said...thats a bunch-o-crap.

understand now? or do we need to start drawing pics?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Or maybe you are full of yourself with that post Lance? I do wish people would stop trying to slap an "S" on his chest... he is only a sophomore, and an unproven one at that... but the fact that he came to Richlands to play football isn't a "bunch-o-crap".

His mom held the RHS Girls BB career points record for a number of years and continued to keep up with RHS sports after moving to Atlanta. She doesn't live in Valdosta, and Sean didn't go to Valdosta HS. He went to a large school in Atlanta that plays all it's games on Saturday afternoon in front of a crowd that could care less in a stadium it shares with several other schools.

When you mention Valdosta you're still thinking about small town high school football. It's not like that in a pro/college sports city. High school football there is "Nothing like it is here".

So yes, he came here to play football. He was drawn to the allure of small town, "Friday night lights" football in SW Virginia... and yes, he was drawn to the FACT that Richlands WINS!

[/ QUOTE ]

As for the Atlanta area...much more to offer a kid than Richlands...not even going to explain that to you if you don't understand it already. The "Atlanta Area" outside of the inner city is easy to find a nice rural area.

Like I said...if they have family here and wanted to come home then great...if it was "just" to play football...then probably not the best move. The kid is young enough that it's going to give him a couple of years to mature anyway...so best of luck to him...I'll be pulling for him to be the next big thing just like i would any kid in this area.

My point was I don't think Richlands program is so special that it would merit a transfer of a kid from Atlanta to Richlands.

I think if I was going to do that in this area (make a move for just football), it would be to Bluefield...seems like they have much more success over the same timeframe as Richlands...thus the "crap and full of themselves" comments...because if you think Richlands football is that special...you only need to look as far as Bluefield to realize...it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch........

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because Atlanta would be a great place to raise children.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just b/c ATL has traffic, crime, tremendous heat and humidity, a "keeping up w/the Joneses" mentality, and you don't know your neighbors on the next block (however, gossip is kept to a minimum b/c of this) and last but not least, no water, b/c you have those "gators" as a neighboring state.....(and they're wanting to take all of our drinking water for their mussels downstream)....otherwise, ATL is a great place to live.

I'm glad I've lived on "both sides of the street"...the rural and the urban. There's benefits to both as well as downsides for both....every area has its undesirables w/ATL being no exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....just a "tongue-in-cheek" response. I took no offense...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...my point was "poor kid"...who knows how he really feels, but as a 15 year old, i'd think it would suck to move from the ATL area to Richlands...there is NOTHING to do in Richlands.

and as far as Richlands goes, it's no different from any other place as far as it's fair share of drugs, theft, and other crime...

The other point, and what BigD is bent out of shape over...it was said he moved here to "win a championship"...you don't have to move to Richlands to do that...obviously. Going to State every year and getting beat doesn't make you a champion by the way...you guys are what 1 out of 4? Don't get me wrong..it's great to get there...but if I was going to base moving my kid 600+ miles just to "win a championship"...which is what was said...then I'd find a place that acutally wins it...and there are places in the ATL area that are not "huge" schools that fit that bill...if your kid has talent, you don't need to find a AA level school in VA 600 miles away to showcase it in...now do you?

SO..you say it's because his family is here...well great...welcome home...but don't try to say it's "to win championships"...because as I said...thats a bunch-o-crap.

understand now? or do we need to start drawing pics?

[/ QUOTE ] Can't understand why your getting so bend out of shape over one of those he said deals, he is 15 ya know.

Lived between Baltimore and Wilmington several years, eight lane highways, wall to wall traffic, heart attack city. They can have it I would rather live in Graham than there, on the other hand don't know about them straight up and down mountians in Grundy, have to be part goat.

If you keep up with the news you know the school systems in big cities are having major problems. If this young man comes hear and learns how to work hard, and make good grades he will be miles ahead. And as with any member on any team, if he has any talent and learns how to work hard and get good grades than the possiblites are up to him.

I'll solve it for everybody on here. Sean Overton-Lawson moved here because he wanted to play for the same high school his mother played for. He lives with his grandparents and will be a sophmore this year. For those who say why would he move here from Atlanta. He moved here for an opportunity to better himself. He came in last year and watched a game and decided he wanted to come to Richlands to play. And to whoever said he came to late. Its only getting started.

[ QUOTE ]

if sean wins a state title or not is not the question. the kid may have the opportunity here to better himself in academics, sports, & maybe just in life.

Richlands Blue Tornado 2008 S.W.D. Champions!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah...i forgot Richlands is known across the nation for helping people to better themselves.

Like I said..the whole point was the "win a championship" post...you guys either don't understand that or are just choosing to ignore it and try to make something else out of it...either way it's stupid so..enough of this.

good luck to the kid either way.