Local Golf Courses

BigBlueAlum

I have just started picking up the game of golf. I have only played 5 times. So far I have played at Richwood twice, The Cedars (in Bristol) once, and the course at Emory and Henry twice. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some local public courses that would be good for a begginer. Also, if you know of any specials through out the week on green fees then let me know about those as well.

On over toward Princeton the Princeton Elks is a pretty good 9 hole course. Pipestem has a par 3 course that is good...nothing really around for beginners... Both of these are ok for the beginner though. I'm not sure down where you are (toward Richlands). I do know that on top of Bradshaw Mountain there is a course that has indoor carpet for greens (LOL). It would probably be good for a beginner, but the greens are really bad with that carpet...50 times worse that trying to play a putt putt. Others that are close to Bluefield...Wolf Creek down in Bland is nice...Fountain Springs near Peterstown is nice... The ones I have recommended would require travel...

[ QUOTE ]

On over toward Princeton the Princeton Elks is a pretty good 9 hole course. Pipestem has a par 3 course that is good...nothing really around for beginners... Both of these are ok for the beginner though. I'm not sure down where you are (toward Richlands). I do know that on top of Bradshaw Mountain there is a course that has indoor carpet for greens (LOL). It would probably be good for a beginner, but the greens are really bad with that carpet...50 times worse that trying to play a putt putt. Others that are close to Bluefield...Wolf Creek down in Bland is nice...Fountain Springs near Peterstown is nice... The ones I have recommended would require travel...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. I’m not too concerned about the course being beginner friendly. I would just like to play some new courses. Out of the three I have played Richwood has been the nicest as far as course is concerned. I like most of the holes at The Cedars, but it could use a little better up keep, but you couldn’t beat the price ($18.50 to play all day with a cart). And well Emory and Henry, it’s free, so it is a great deal, but it is an awful course.

There is a par 3 course in Fort Chiswell that is 15$ for cart and 18 holes. That is great for beginners, although you only use a 7, 9, W, and puttter. The Golf Club in Wytheville is a nice course, and not too difficult. The River Course in Radford I hear is top notch and Draper Valley is a really nice course near Dublin.

[ QUOTE ]

There is a par 3 course in Fort Chiswell that is 15$ for cart and 18 holes. That is great for beginners, although you only use a 7, 9, W, and puttter. The Golf Club in Wytheville is a nice course, and not too difficult. The River Course in Radford I hear is top notch and Draper Valley is a really nice course near Dublin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice.

I dont think I would like just a par 3 course. I really like the par 4 & 5s, and my drive is something I really need to work on. My slice/fade is killing me. Any advise on fixing that? Man this game is adictive.

Thats how mine is too. I just aim the opposite way and it ends up in the fairway...lol. And if you just want to relax, have some fun the Par 3 is the way to go. It is quite challenging. And the owner is a great guy, usually give us (me and some friends) free games every time we go. So sometimes we pay 15$ for 27 holes. But I think it is because we go about every other week.

If you are just interested in practicing hitting balls with a hole to aim at try Lakeview Country Club in Cool Ridge West Virginia. Just minutes away from Winterplace. Luxurious cow pasture fairways and crab grass greens. Only pull carts, no gas or electric ones on the premises except for a few for the members of the course. I havent been there for a long time, it used to be play all day for $5 but I think it is like $7 now. You must remember to put your shirt on when entering the club house. Seriously Grandview near Beckley is a nice, relatively open and inexpensive course.

[ QUOTE ]

I have just started picking up the game of golf. I have only played 5 times. So far I have played at Richwood twice, The Cedars (in Bristol) once, and the course at Emory and Henry twice. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some local public courses that would be good for a begginer. Also, if you know of any specials through out the week on green fees then let me know about those as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words............COOL RIDGE, WV:

http://www.golfnow.com/course-directory/...ew-country-club

Lakeview Country Club

Lakeview is a great 9 hole regulation course located at the Lakeview Country Club facility in Cool Ridge, WV. From the longest tees it features 2,579 yards of golf for a par of 34. The course was designed by Burns Roberts and opened in 1965. The course contact is Stephanie Lemon, General Manager.

Facility Information | Course Information | Weather

Course Information for Lakeview Country Club

Facility Information:

General: 9 hole regulation length course

1 golf course(s)

Lakeview Country Club Information:

Daily Fee golf course

Designed by Burns Roberts

34 par, 2,579 yards

Just Golf facility

Green Fees: Weekend: $9.50*

* includes golf cart where available

There is always the course near Gary, WV too. It has "unifairways." Both of those places are sh1t on quality and should be dirt cheap on price.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lakeview Country Club

Lakeview is a great 9 hole regulation course located at the Lakeview Country Club facility in Cool Ridge, WV. From the longest tees it features 2,579 yards of golf for a par of 34. The course was designed by Burns Roberts and opened in 1965. The course contact is Stephanie Lemon, General Manager.

Facility Information:

1 golf course(s)

Daily Fee golf course

34 par, 2,579 yards

Just Golf facility

There is always the course near Gary, WV too. It has "unifairways." Both of those places are sh1t on quality and should be dirt cheap on price.

[/ QUOTE ]

You used to be able to play Cool Ridge all day for six dollars. But man, that place was a dump.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lakeview Country Club

Facility Information:

1 golf course(s)

Daily Fee golf course

34 par, 2,579 yards

Just Golf facility

[/ QUOTE ]

You used to be able to play Cool Ridge all day for six dollars. But man, that place was a dump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they have carts?

Do they have carts?

Negative: They are a few guys that have there own personal carts there but none to rent. At least the last time I was there that was the case, it has been a few years but I havent heard any different.

• 1 month later...

You should see if they will let you play in the Masters next year... I hear Augusta National is a pretty decent course. Worth a shot...

Well, after my birdie on the first hole (par 4) yesterday I was ready for the PGA...but those hopes were dashed when I went on to shoot a 51 on the front nine and a 55 on the back. haha

The game does that to us. One minute we are great, the next just struggling to survive.

I guess that is why I am hooked. You can never get too high from a great shot or too low from a crappy shot, because you still have to hit another shot.

The game does that to us. One minute we are great, the next just struggling to survive.

I guess that is why I am hooked. You can never get too high from a great shot or too low from a crappy shot, because you still have to hit another shot.

Luckily for me all of buddies are on about the same level, so I usually beat them. Right now Im just trying to beat myself. I just cant get enough of it.

how does olde mill on the parkway stack up with the rest of the courses around here i was there the other day (not playing but helping out with a basketball benifit thing) it seemed really nice though but idk cuz i don't play golf...yet. maybe no one on here has played it though.

how does olde mill on the parkway stack up with the rest of the courses around here i was there the other day (not playing but helping out with a basketball benifit thing) it seemed really nice though but idk cuz i don't play golf...yet. maybe no one on here has played it though.

Olde Mill (Groundhog Mountain to some) is a pretty good course. I've played it several times.

The first college golf match I ever played was at Olde Mill. I was nervous, it was rainy, and the wind was blowing 25-30 mph all day long...I shot 100 with an 11 on #10. Some of the toughest conditions I've ever played in...low round for the day out of 45 golfers (9 teams) was 84 and that was three shots better than the next best score. The next day, the conditions were perfect, no wind, the greens were holding well, I wasn't as nervous...I shot 76.

I played at Tri-Cities Golf Club yesterday. I thought it was a great facility. They have 3 nine hole courses and the two that we played were very nice.

I like that place as well. I've played it a few times with a buddy of mine that lives in J.C.