Powerhouse SAVA Teams vs. Dobyns Bennet?? WHat do you think??

falconfansrock

Would past/present SWVA powerhouse teams be competitive  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would past/present SWVA powerhouse teams be competitive

• Absolutely, SWVA football is the best, everyone knows that.
    • Possibly, it depends if it was played in TN or VA.
    • Probably not, D.B. have great teams every year.
    • No way, that would be like playing the UT VOLS!

Hey guys and girls, I was thinking.... I work in Kingsport, TN where everyone pretty much is head over hills with Dobyns Bennett football.

Who do you guys think would win when comparing some of SWVA's past and recent football powerhouses vs. Dobyns Bennett?

D.B. always have awesome teams with some Div. 1 caliber atheletes every year and a very impressive schedule.

Just wanted to get your guys opinions on this. I have often wondered how some of these matchups would compare.

Now I am a devoted Abingdon fan/alumnus. (But I can tell you the styles of football and athelets are VERY different with most of the teams I faced or have seen in SWVA compared to D.B. Of course they have about 3x the amount of students too.)

Thanks guys, I am interested in seeing some of your responses. Please keep this post clean and respectable. Thank you, Be safe all and God Bless.

Edited by falconfansrock
Mis-spelled word in title

Hey guys and girls, I was thinking.... I work in Kingsport, TN where everyone pretty much is head over hills with Dobyns Bennett football.

Who do you guys think would win when comparing some of SWVA's past and recent football powerhouses vs. Dobyns Bennett?

D.B. always have awesome teams with some Div. 1 caliber atheletes every year and a very impressive schedule.

Just wanted to get your guys opinions on this. I have often wondered how some of these matchups would compare.

Now I am a devoted Abingdon fan/alumnus. (But I can tell you the styles of football and athelets are VERY different with most of the teams I faced or have seen in SWVA compared to D.B. Of course they have about 3x the amount of students too.)

Thanks guys, I am interested in seeing some of your responses. Please keep this post clean and respectable. Thank you, Be safe all and God Bless.

Isn't that the same Dobyns-Bennett that refuses to play Gate City? I think I know why.......

I know of only one Dobyns Bennet, but I do not know of anyone refusing to play anyone other than they have a beefed up schedule already to contend with. I am being serious when I say that, I do not know anything about their schedule selection, meaning how they select who to play and when. I don't follow D.B. enough to get into any of that. I will catch a couple of games a year if Abingdon is off or playing a game I don't want to drive to. I do know that the majority of the teams they play are 4 and 5A schools. I would love to see a Gate City, Richlands, or Powell Valley team in their prime play them. I think that would be an interesting showdown.

(On a side note, I like the results so far on the poll, Absolutely..... I love SWVA football, although I voted with the 2nd option, I tried to open it up so that everyone had a viable option!)

Thanks guys, be safe out there, and hope to hear back from you.

EW

Edited by falconfansrock

There is a very big difference between 5A ball and A or AA ball. Now I love SwVa football but saying these teams could beat DB is a little of a stretch. Could a PV or GC beat them, maybe but it would have been one of the great teams with the Jones borthers or the last GC state champ team. Then on top of this they would have to play mistake free perfect ball to win. The skill positions are simply better in 5A ball. Team speed is the biggest difference. The powers of SWVA could compete once every 10 years when that special team comes along, but year in and year out it wouldn't be pretty.

Why would DB schedule 1A teams from Va when they get criticized for their schedule now not prepping them for the playoffs? I love SWVA football, that's were my roots are but DB is a very diifferent thing from Volunteer and/or Tn. High, sorry. IMHO.

GC could hold their own with DB year in and year out, there would be years we drilled them and we would take it on the chin a few times also.

GC played TN High the first game of the year for quite a while and we also played Central and North and never had a whole lot of trouble with them. A few of the TN high games were close, and North won a couple i think.

I go to a lot of games over there (TN) and it is a different game. Not always good. See where Appy wore out North a few times. Cloudland (and their best ever team)got Appy pretty good when they probably had one of their worst ever teams. Graham drilled Greenville when greenville was decent. I watched Elizabethton during Witten's junior year when they played DB, there was no hitting. I left greatly disappointed. You just dont hear the pads pop like you do in VA game in game out.

I work in Bristol and have had this discussion many times with the TN High folks and i know a ton of DB grads. GC tried to schedule a 2 game series with DB in the mid 90's and DB only wanted two at Db not a home and away. Db had a really good team the year they lost to Gerald Riggs,Jr, and Red Bank.(maybe the best they ever had) that coincided with the years GC was pretty good too, wanna say the late 90's-2003, and woulda loved to see those teams play. i would take the GC 99-03 crew or 96 or even the PV teams of the 90's, the Appy mid 90 teams, several Graham teams, or even the Richlands teams of the last few years against the best NETN can offer any day.

Better leave the bands at the house if you are going to play them. They rolled out 505 members on the field Thursday night. Year in and year out, swva would not stand a chance against DB. They dress near 100 kids, with several D1 athletes. With the new flag football offenses run this day and time by teams with skill people, no way they could match the speed level that DB brings to the table.

any team can beat any other team on any given day. i dont care if DB had 200 or 300 kids dressing. if a team has enough heart and enough players at skill positions i believe they could beat any team they wanted. i believe the Graham 03 team could have given many teams all they could handle once they were clickin on all cylinders. just because a team dresses so many kids doesnt mean they have a good team. they could have a bunch of athletes dressing but how many football players do they have. and the SWD has plenty of D1 talent its just the area that holds back the players. coaches and scouts dont wanna come down here to little ole southwestern virginia when they can go over to the coast and see the "best".

Good post LegendatLegion. I know this is a football topic, but DB does boast an incredible band. One that can drive the opponets nuts. Last year they had the larges band in the state, including highschool and colleges. It is just another advantage that they have against the opponets making it harder to call signals on the field and messing with the lines cadence/hearing the QB.

I do think that there are several SWVA teams that could and can compete with a DB during their prime years. Time to get back to "work", I am at the fire department today, so I am at work, just not working, atleast right now. :-) Be safe all and God Bless.

EW

I doubt any teams in SWVA would stand a chance against DB any year. It would be like competeing against a small college. I know the "any team can beat any team..." Thats a bunch of crap. Sure its easy to say, but truly if a state champion Richlands or Graham team played DB on one of their ok years, then how many times do you think DB would win out of 10? I m going to say 9 possibly even 10. It is just two completly different games.

D.B has about 1800 students as of 2006. In contrast, Cabell Midland in Cabell County (Huntington, WV) has pretty close to 2000 students and dresses about 100 for their football team. Football teams have been fair ever since that high school was built. Even when C.M made the playoffs, they would get beat in the first round every time. Number of dressed players and student enrollment have no bearing on the success of athletics.

D.B has about 1800 students as of 2006. In contrast, Cabell Midland in Cabell County (Huntington, WV) has pretty close to 2000 students and dresses about 100 for their football team. Football teams have been fair ever since that high school was built. Even when C.M made the playoffs, they would get beat in the first round every time. Number of dressed players and student enrollment have no bearing on the success of athletics.

It may not have as much of a bearing on success when you are playing schools with around the same number of kids, but when you match them up with schools with 1/4 the number of students then it is very hard for the smaller schools to compete. If it didnt matter then why would every state bother with classifications based on enrollement?

Kentucky doesnt in basketball. All teams compete for the same state title regardless of enrollment.

I stand corrected. However, Basketball is somewhat different than Football. In Basketball you only need about 10 good players to make a good team, and everyone already plays both way. However, in football a larger school is able to have more specialized players and not have players play on both offense and deffense, not to mention special teams.

I think maybe a good game if played in Virginia agaist one of the powerhouse programs.......Of course don't forget Coach Clark started his career at Chilhowie in the early eighties and had some fine teams here.

NObody said anything about the BAND.....good grief! They are truly something to see. They line up on the home side of the field and stretch around to each forty. I saw DB play Sevier Co. a couple of years back and it was rainy and nasty, DB was struggling to stop the run. I think this was the '02 year (not sure) and the band took the field at the half and did a terrific program. Two minutes after they finished the stands on the Db side was less than half full, and the majority of them never did come back.

I know for a fact the GC kids wanted to play them really bad back then too. You can dress 800 but they only let you play 11 at once. DB is not a powerhouse like they want folks to believe. (a very good program to say the least)Not one state title since playoffs have been introduced by the TSSAA. My Db friends are quick to point out the AP (voted) titles they have, kinda like Tennessee High's mythical National title in the early '70's. I know a guy who played on that team and he said GC kicked their butt in a scrimmage that year. (He said it was humorous to a lot of them) Mythical...lol i have a fairy ring that the unicorns vist in my backyard, and bigfoot dances with the tooth fairy under the moon........

A lot of folks can recall about 8-9 years ago when Tennessee High went 10-0 for the first time since 1972 ( i think) well, they started the season with GC several years in row there, it's hard to go 10-0 when ya start 0-1.

Edited by LegendatLegion
spelling

I think a lot of people over rate DB because of their size and the fact they can roll over teams like Sullivan North, South, and Central. Gate City played North for several years and North won 2 games. When the Indians roll out of their region it is a different story. DB is a finesse team for the most part and a good, physical team that can defend the pass will have plenty of success with them. There are several team in SWVA that on given years could beat DB and on most years there are 2-3 teams that could play with them. Don't let the mystique of a mythical title won in 1920 fool ya. Heck if most schools in SWVA could have their town annex entire comunities to reap their best athletes we'd all have 2,000 kids.

You forgot one thing genius, you are comparing football in West Virginia to football in other states. You could dress 200 in West Virginia and it would not compare to 30 in Tennessee or Virginia!

Or you could do like Bluefield High School and dress 65 or so and beat Tenn. High, William Campbell, Richlands, Graham, Lee, Tazewell, & Grundy over the last ten to twelve years along with rolling over the WV teams during that same period, genius.

Edited by bhs7695