Washington County SB may act on JSB 8th grade controversy tonight...

Lance

I personally think this is stupid...JV should be 8th - 10th grade anyway...but...sounds like a few political parents are upset...just hope they realize this is going to effect all sports....they look to have included a few holes in it though...I'd like to just see them dismiss this and say "It's up to the coach"...but...won't happen.

anyway...here ya go:

A six-month long battle may finally reach a conclusion when the Washington County School Board meets at 7 p.m. tonight in Abingdon, Va.

The board is scheduled to hold a second reading of proposed policy changes that would govern the participation of eighth-graders on high school junior varsity teams.

The proposed changes follow several months of controversy, confusion and frustration that peaked when a group of John Battle High School parents objected to eighth-graders reportedly receiving preferential treatment over ninth- and 10th-graders on the Trojans’ JV baseball team.

Highlighting the changes – drafted on June 30 with a first reading on July 21 – are revised rules stating that eighth-grade students may only participate on high school junior varsity teams when:

* There are insufficient numbers of ninth- and 10th-graders to field a junior varsity team.

* An eighth-grade student is prohibited from participation in community-sponsored leagues, due to their age or large size, and the student’s participation on a junior varsity team does not displace a ninth- or 10th-grader.

* There is not a feeder program in a particular sport, and the student’s participation on a junior varsity team will not displace a ninth- or 10th-grader.

“The intent of the board is that eighth-graders will not replace ninth- and 10th-graders, when there are sufficient numbers of ninth- and 10th-graders to fill [a junior varsity] roster,” Washington County School Superintendent Allen Lee said. “But if the roster has holes in it, then that’ll be OK to bring the eighth-graders up.”

According to Tom Graves, Washington County School Board assistant superintendent, the second reading is designed to ensure the general public is comfortable with the new policy. Graves said the school board is looking for input and feedback from the public, and will consider any suggestions before the policy is adopted. Graves also encouraged the public to attend tonight’s meeting or place a phone call to the school board if they would like changes made to the policy.

Graves admitted, though, that the new policy could be approved tonight if the board does not receive any objections.

Larry Cannon, John Battle athletic director and varsity baseball coach, said he’s comfortable with the policy changes.

Cannon and his Trojans were caught in the middle of the initial controversy surrounding junior varsity teams in Washington County, which the Bristol Herald Courier documented in a series of articles.

“I’m going to be fine with whatever [Mr.] Lee and the board comes up with,” Cannon said. “I think we all just kind of want to put this behind us … so we can be assured that we’re doing the right thing. And, of course, that’s what we want to do anyways; what’s right for the kids.”

However, Herschel Stevens, a school board member in the Wilson District, is not convinced that the policy is ready to be approved.

Stevens voted against the policy at the board’s first reading. And he has pushed for the inclusion of a rule stating that any player who makes the cut for a junior varsity team will be allowed to play via a rotation system.

According to Stevens, the rotation rule initially was included in the proposed rule changes, but was removed when coaches and board members objected.

“I’ve talked to parents every day about [the junior varsity issue],” Stevens said. “They are [upset]. … We’re saying these parents here believe their children – if they go out for a sport and make the team – they’re entitled to play on a rotation basis, so they will get some experience in the game.

“The coaches’ job is to develop the mind, develop the body and teach the game. It has nothing to do with the score.”

Stevens’ desire to include a rule stipulating all players who make the cut for a team will be allowed to play in a game points toward a bigger issue.

The school board’s proposed rule changes for high school junior varsity programs allow for a loophole, based around the premise that coaches are allowed to dictate the roster size of their teams. Thus, a coach theoretically could create a roster size large enough that eighth-graders would essentially be required to play on a junior varsity team. The eighth-graders then would be allowed to play in place of ninth- and 10th-graders, according to school board policy.

“When you ask children to go through the rigid practice that you have to have in these sports, and then expect them to sit there, and then somebody tells you that the counseling the coaches have to done to them [while they are] sitting on the bench makes a better people out of them, that’s a bunch of bull,” Stevens said.

Lee conceded that the loophole exists. But he said it was solely to ensure that schools with a small number of ninth- and 10th-grade junior varsity participants could use eighth-graders if needed. In addition, Lee stated that manipulating the loophole would be “very unwise on the part of a principal or an athletic director, because I think they know the intent of the board, and I think they know … my attitude about it.”

Meanwhile, Cannon disputed the claim that John Battle ever intentionally employed its JV baseball squad as a farm team for its varsity component.

“I think, every parent, they love their child and they want to see them succeed. And sometimes the parents want it more than the kids do,” Cannon said. “A lot of times, the kids understand what’s going on. And for the most part, they’re fine with it.

“I think with everything in our society, somehow we’ve gotten away from the fact that we have to earn things instead of them just [being] given to us.”

LINK: http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/panel_may_act_on_john_battle_sports_controversy/13469/

Another case of adults screwing it up for the kids. I wish all of these whiny parents would get a life. Just b/c an 8th grader is better than your little Johnny doesn't mean you need to act like an 8th grader yourselves. Grow up, there are more important things in life that you as a parent should be concerned with.

It's Washington County....

8th graders get to play j.v. just about everywhere else. It's a small school, deal with it.

crybabies.

It's not a small school at all, but if those 9th and 10th graders want to play somewhere, move. Other Washington County schools could use a decent John Battle bred baseball player, I'm sure.

Little League is over! I have seen a couple of these kids. I am sorry but your kids are not that good and I can understand why a 8th grader that is better is playing. I didn't know that JSB was that big thats why they are Single A right

i dont think its fair to the 8th graders myself...i thought little league stopped at 7th grade...where are they supposed to play? Maybe someone more familiar will chime in and educate us lol.

i dont think its fair to the 8th graders myself...i thought little league stopped at 7th grade...where are they supposed to play? Maybe someone more familiar will chime in and educate us lol.

Well there is junior league, senior league, and dixie league for the upper age groups. I know Bristol has outstanding programs for all of those leagues, so the kids will get play baseball regardless and probably actually do both since high school ball ends around the same time those other leagues are starting up. There are no middle school baseball programs because of the lack of interest...maybe there ought to be a middler league started?

John Battle is D2, and on the upper end of D2 at that. They were actually AA back in the 70's and 80's. Their enrollment has actually spiked in the last couple of years and has gone from the mid 500's to upper 600's.

There are middle school programs. VHS started one this past season. There are other schools also that middle school programs. You have not been around Bristol baseball for a while if ever. Most jr, senior leagues stink. To much Daddy ball. VHS has about 650 students Does this make them big D2 as you call it. Last time I checked we were all SINGLE A. I know JSB history of being AA along with VHS back in the day of the good ol SWD when it was tough to get a win anyhwere you played. BB,BB,FB,Track or nay other sport. Goodness Lebanon has been Single A then AA then back to Single A. I guess this makes Coach Adams and the boys a Big D2 school also. Funny we all compete against each other.

There are middle school programs. VHS started one this past season. There are other schools also that middle school programs. You have not been around Bristol baseball for a while if ever. Most jr, senior leagues stink. To much Daddy ball. VHS has about 650 students Does this make them big D2 as you call it. Last time I checked we were all SINGLE A. I know JSB history of being AA along with VHS back in the day of the good ol SWD when it was tough to get a win anyhwere you played. BB,BB,FB,Track or nay other sport. Goodness Lebanon has been Single A then AA then back to Single A. I guess this makes Coach Adams and the boys a Big D2 school also. Funny we all compete against each other.

Sorry bro, I wasn't trying to stink up your day. I was unaware of the middle school programs, I haven't played high school ball nor lived in the area for 5 years or so, but when I played junior/senior leagues, their teams were the best around.

650 is a big D2 school around here, read an enrollment list and learn more yourself. You can find them on VHSL.org or VHSL-reference.com.

AA hasbeens are not always bigger D2 schools, take George Wythe or PH for example, they are in the mid 400's, thats an average D2 size in these parts.

Graham is a small D3 school, Christiansburg is a big D3 school, it's not hard to define. Or maybe I don't understand your argument? The reason I mentioned Battle's enrollment is because someone referred to them as a small school, of which around here, they do not fit that category. They are bigger than a few local AA schools, if you do your research you'll see that. I wasn't dogging any of the schools you mentioned.

Well, I consider all of the A schools and most of the AA schools around here "small". It's common practice to let 8th graders play J.V. It's not against any VHSL rule. I can tell you that Floyd County High School houses grades 8 - 12 and it's more convenient for the 8th graders to play. Plus in a rural setting, Floyd County has only 1 little league team that travels around to play in other counties, so it makes more sense for them. I'm not sure about other schools. If an 8th grader can play and if he's better than a 9th or 10th grader, I say quit crying, let the better kid play. As somebody mentioned before, High School Athletics is more competitive than rec league and not everybody gets to play. If they want to come out for the team and participate and ride the bench, that's one thing, but to whine and complain about playing time just because you're older, then that's another.

Take it up with the VHSL if you want to complain about it....Every other school in the state doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

Does Smyth County have the same rules for 8th graders? I don't think I've ever heard of any 8th graders from NW or Marion playing up and to my knowledge it never happened at Chilhowie while I was there at least. Is it the school's decision in most cases or does the county effectively make the rules in Smyth? Anybody?

I am under the belief, that if you are not good enough to make the team, then there is NOT a spot on the team for you. And if it takes 8th graders to fill those spots because there are not enough talented players in the 9th and 10th grade slots, then that is just how it is.

This "political correct" world that a lot of these tree hugging wusses want to live in now is not practical, nor does it promote a work ethic that makes good, productive citizens. This gentler and kinder mentality, this we should give handouts because people are too lazy to work for it is the cause of a lot these parents and kids acting the way they do. If your kid doesn't make the team his freshmen year, I would have him running during the summer instead of eating twinkies and sleeping until lunch. My 2 cents worth, take it or leave it.

EW

I think that many schools are using 8th Grade Football now as 7th and 8th Grades. So this really helps with numbers as many smaller schools cannot have eleven student athletes come out for the team and stick with it.

I know this really builds programs in Wythe and Smyth Counties, as every year it seems that the "8th Grade" team from George Wythe has 60 kids on the sideline, with Rural Retreat and Chilhowie having nearly the same amount. You don't find this @ Patrick Henry and Holston usually not at Northwood even though just about everyone uses 7th Graders for football.

You definitely don't see 60 kids on the sideline for "8th Grade" teams out of the Cumberland District, even though many of those schools are holding back anyway. I have never heard any complaints about talented 7th Graders stepping up and making plays in football and taking playing time away from the 8th Graders. I feel the same should hold true with Baseball.

As for the issue with JSB baseball, some schools must have 8th Graders to keep enough to field a JV baseball team. Usually most 8th Graders are not as talented as high school sophomores, but a lot of Freshmen and Sophomore athletes are good enough to play sometimes even start on varsity over top of Juniors and Seniors. Many 9-10th graders may start on JV and move up if there is an injury or some type of special situation.

If a freshman starts on the mound against a district rival and throws a gem, then why would anyone complain. If a senior had pitched against the same team and gave up six bombs and 15 earned runs he wouldn't expect to start against them the next time around., or most coaches would certainly use a different pitcher. You would not get any complaints out of that senior pitcher, if the freshman pitcher just won them a district title.

If a student athlete has the talent and "gets the job done" you should give them the nod, as you are building a sense of teamwork and sportsmanship.

To clear up any confusion in my last post, I really wanted to sum up things by saying that you do not want to create a sense of "Jealousy" or "animosity" between team members.

To clear up my statement in the first paragraph, when I was referring to teams a "few" of the HOGO "8th Grade Football Teams" having over 60 players dress out for a school like George Wythe as compared to Patrick Henry, which SOMEHOW has a "slightly" larger student enrollment than GW, but PH is lucky to have One-Third that number on the Sideline.

The whole JB promlem started by the JV coaches taken 26 kids on the JV roster just to get the 8th graders on the team. These 8th graders have played together in little league for yrs. Look at how productive these boys were during their little league days and even this yr at junior league, then look at the older guys that didnt get to play. One of there DADS is a principle at a high school in the county. The other high schools in the county needed 8th graders to make a complete team but the rosters was less then 15. The 8th graders that played didnt help the jv team there was a lot of talent on the team that had been very productive in the yrs past, more productive then this yrs team.

This just goes back to the problem that is going on in our local leagues DADDY BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I beleive we need to ask the coach why he needed 26 kids on the team????