Will Tonight's games be Canceled?

phatbeaver

Guest BEAVERTAIL

No, usually it is up to the administration of the school. I think. lol

We heard through the grapevine that Wayne didn't geet ANY snow last night...We can only pray that it's true

The Wayne area supposedly got about 2 inches last night but the field should be clear by kickoff.

Did Bluefield get some snow overnight?

bluefield had a good amount of snowfall from evening on, as you can see on that webcam, but infact on top of the mountain it was more like an all out winter snow storm.

winter has come early and according to the daily telegraph someone saw an all black wooly worm which is the sign of not just a rough winter, but 1 of the worst winters.

http://www.bdtonline.com/columns/local_story_323172718.html

Woolly worm warning: We’ll know for sure next spring if dire forecast is right

By CHARLES OWENS

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

I saw a solid black woolly worm last week in the Falls Mills, Va., community. I stopped, bent down, and carefully examined the tiny creature. Sure enough, it was solid black. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a solid black woolly worm. Normally, such a sighting is not considered good news.

While there isn’t a lot of scientific evidence to back up this theory, popular folklore in the region tells us that a solid black woolly worm is bad news. It’s a sign of not only a bad winter to come — but perhaps the worst of all winters possible. Maybe even something capable of topping the great blizzard of 1993. Remember that one?

A quick Google search of the word “woolly worm” netted several interesting theories. One website said if the woolly worm is all brown, be prepared for the worst winter possible. It also indicated if the woolly worm has end bands that are narrow and more reddish brown, more than one blizzard is possible.

Many people believe in the whole woolly worm folklore. Maybe I’ll become a believer too — but I won’t know for sure until next spring. Then, I can take a look back at the winter that has past, and make an educated on opinion on whether that solid black woolly worm was correct or not.

Nevertheless, we’ve been due a bad winter for many years now. Somehow, we have managed to dodge the bullet year after year. Yes, we’ve had a few bad snow storms here and there, and a couple of bouts with sleet and ice, but no blizzards or monster ice storms. Not even a foot of snow.

It’s interesting to note that back in 1993 — the year of the great blizzard — we had snow on Halloween. The National Weather Service in Blacksburg, Va., recorded 3.2 inches of snow on Halloween 1993. The Halloween snow storm proved to be a scary prelude to the rough year that was still ahead.

An already bad winter took a turn for the worse on a frigid morning of Saturday, March 13, 1993. Just when signs of spring were beginning to surface, a rare blizzard warning was issued by the National Weather Service the evening before. The forecasters were right. We got buried under more than three feet of snow in a massive and monstrous blizzard.

Between a very long Friday night and Saturday morning, the region was buried under more than 32 inches of snow. We call the freak weather event the Great Blizzard of 1993, a historic snowstorm that left the entire region crippled for days. Roadways were closed, and putting out a daily newspaper proved to be a unique challenge for those of us at the Daily Telegraph.

I never made it to the office. I remember having to call in a story from a relative’s house. My little car at the time was buried — literally — under three feet of snow. You couldn’t even open the door to the house there was so much snow outside. I had never seen a snow storm like that before.

Growing up as a youngster in McDowell County, we hardly ever had a snow day.. For some reason or another, it seemed like it would never snow before we got to school. There was a day or two where we had to leave school early because of a decent snow storm, but I hardly ever got a good old fashion snow day. It was actually kind of frustrating.

I don’t know if anyone saw a solid black woolly worm back in late 1992. Maybe a reader will remember if there were any folklore indicators of the approaching bad winter back during the year of the Great Blizzard.

This year we had snow three days before Halloween. Hopefully, it’s not a sign of another bad winter to come. It’s important to note that snow before Halloween is pretty rare. It’s only happened a few times before. In addition to 1993, the region recorded 2.5 inches of snow in 1974 over a period of three days before Halloween during Oct. 20, 21 and 22. The earliest the region has ever seen measurable snowfall was Oct. 12 of 1979.

Will the region see another rough winter this year?

Well, if October is any indicator, it was unseasonably cool. It’s been a little warmer here in November — we even had a couple of days where the mercury hit close to 70 degrees.

I guess time will tell. I’m still holding out for another 70-degree day. But those will become increasingly unlikely as we race toward Thanksgiving, and ultimately Christmas.

For now, I’ll prepare for the possibility of a bad winter with the hope that the little woolly worm is incorrect in its prediction.

Charles Owens is the Daily Telegraph’s city editor.

bluefield had a good amount of snowfall from evening on, as you can see on that webcam, but infact on top of the mountain it was more like an all out winter snow storm.

winter has come early and according to the daily telegraph someone saw an all black wooly worm which is the sign of not just a rough winter, but 1 of the worst winters.

That's all I saw this fall...all black wooly worms...

We've not seen much snow to this point in C'burg. We had about a half an inch several days ago and a dusting this morning. It's SUPER cold though with a pretty steady wind. Being the skinny person I am now I cannot take too much cold weather, I freeze to death. I've been cold 24/7 for the past week it seems.

Safe travels to the Beaver faithful making the trip to Wayne tonight. They're a pretty nice bunch, so it should be a good trip; a great trip if the Beavers win.