Congress to end BCS?

tbgfan

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Politics.

As soon as I saw "Texas congressman" i knew it was all about trying to get votes.

I've lost a lot of respect for Texas since their whole "45-35" campaign started. As much as I would like to see a playoff too, there isn't anything they can say or do to put themselves in the title game. I used to like to see them do well, but they've crossed me the wrong way this season. The only reason I want them to win their bowl game is because they are playing Ohio State and the fact that they have former Tar Heel Mack Brown as the head coach, but still then, even if they do win their BSC bowl they will have even more to say about it.

I thought their "45-35" banner that flew over Norman was a bit obnoxious, but as much as I like Mack Brown, Oklahoma's was even better and actually proved a point. You lost, deal with it.

lead620

Guest BEAVERTAIL

I agree Hokie. As much as I was an advocate for the BCS in past years, it had been working until recently. The past 2 years have proved to me that there is too much parody in College Football, and I now approve of a 4 team playoff, with a lot of stipulations, but that is for another time.

Back to Texas, You win all your games and your in. Whats so hard about understanding that? IF you were undefeated i understand your complaints...

I've lost a lot of respect for Texas since their whole "45-35" campaign started. As much as I would like to see a playoff too, there isn't anything they can say or do to put themselves in the title game. I used to like to see them do well, but they've crossed me the wrong way this season. The only reason I want them to win their bowl game is because they are playing Ohio State and the fact that they have former Tar Heel Mack Brown as the head coach, but still then, even if they do win their BSC bowl they will have even more to say about it.

I thought their "45-35" banner that flew over Norman was a bit obnoxious, but as much as I like Mack Brown, Oklahoma's was even better and actually proved a point. You lost, deal with it.

lead620

Isn't USC playing tOSU in the Rose Bowl this year?...I thought that the winner of the Pac12 and the Big10 play each if their was no National Championship implications.

Isn't USC playing tOSU in the Rose Bowl this year?...I thought that the winner of the Pac12 and the Big10 play each if their was no National Championship implications.

Nope. Penn State won the Big 10(11) this year. They play USC in the Rose Bowl. Its Texas vs. Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

Back to Texas, You win all your games and your in. Whats so hard about understanding that? IF you were undefeated i understand your complaints...

Oklahoma didnt win all their games and their one loss was to Texas...your point is not a good one...

The BCS has always been a system of whoever wins later goes further and whoever loses later doesn't. Everyone knows this. LSU benifited from this last year when they lost to Arkansas but WVU lost to Pitt and Missouri lost in their title game. Texas lost later in the season, therefore ruining their shot at the title game.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Oklahoma didnt win all their games and their one loss was to Texas...your point is not a good one...

Yes it is.

Its simple.

Win all your games and your in.

If you dont, you KNOW there will be parody of who gets in and you might not.

So if you really want to play for the national championship, dont lose. Texas acted like it was the systems fault, as well as their fans.

Well it wasnt the systems fault. It was yours when you lost to the Red Riders.

If they were perfect, the fault would lay in the BCS' hands.

has provided memorable games and moments for several fans. However, how much fun would it be to see a tournament of the nations top 16 teams? I mean Boise and Utah would both have a shot at the championship as well some other teams who don't have a chance in the world because of their conference. It's a shame that you go undefeated and don't get a shot. I don't care what conference you are from, you deserve a shot. It would be great to see the major upsets of the big teams and triumphs of the small town , small conference schools. I would love to see a "march madness" feel to the tournament in college football. Look at the FCS....it's entertaining as can be....lump in the best college teams and athletes and look out! YOu get more football and more money generated. They could still have the big money supporters in each round. Rotate it every year so that each one gets a turn as the championship game. Make each school play 10 games and start earlier than bowls and you would end around the same time. Just my idea of fun football for the future.

The BCS has never been right, but this year they got it. Texas has a good argument, but all they had to do was take care of Texas Tech and they would be in the National Champion. I do recall Oklahoma killing Texas Tech like 63-21. Oklahoma played their best when it counted and won the games in the end by scoring 60+ points in 5 straight games. Nobody has played better ball than Oklahoma in the last 4 or 5 games, not even Florida. Oklahoma wins the National Championship and they should change to a 12-team playoff like the NFL does. So teams like Boise St. who also go undefeated don't get screwed out of chance.

Texas didn't win all their games either...they lost to Texas Tech who Oklahoma beat by 40 points...

It isn't a matter of who you beat, its a matter of who you lose to, especially with the computers...Texas losing to TT was a "worse" loss than Oklahoma losing to Texas especially with OU beating TT so badly...simple as that...

The BCS has always been a system of whoever wins later goes further and whoever loses later doesn't. Everyone knows this. LSU benifited from this last year when they lost to Arkansas but WVU lost to Pitt and Missouri lost in their title game. Texas lost later in the season, therefore ruining their shot at the title game.

Yeah last season was crazy. Hell, VT almost had a shot at the NC due to the upsets. I am all for the playoffs. I have always wondered how a team can go undefeated but never make it to the NC also. Not only would th playoffs truly determine the best 2 teams in the Nation but it would extend College Football for all of us college football fans. i dont know about you guys, but I would love to see the college football season extended

Texas didn't win all their games either...they lost to Texas Tech who Oklahoma beat by 40 points...

It isn't a matter of who you beat, its a matter of who you lose to, especially with the computers...Texas losing to TT was a "worse" loss than Oklahoma losing to Texas especially with OU beating TT so badly...simple as that...

it is better to loser earlier than later as well. WVU found that out last year losing early to sf and having shot at nt appearance with pitt game looming.. of course we know the result of that, but another good example of losing earlier rather than later such as florida did as well.

Yeah last season was crazy. Hell, VT almost had a shot at the NC due to the upsets. I am all for the playoffs. I have always wondered how a team can go undefeated but never make it to the NC also. Not only would th playoffs truly determine the best 2 teams in the Nation but it would extend College Football for all of us college football fans. i dont know about you guys, but I would love to see the college football season extended

Well unless someone can figure out away to generate the revenue that the BCS does then there is a very small chance at getting a playoff system. Money is the underlying variable.

Well unless someone can figure out away to generate the revenue that the BCS does then there is a very small chance at getting a playoff system. Money is the underlying variable.

There are several things they could do to fix the revenue problem but thats something the officials gotta figure out. Im sure we could add a few suggestions but what would that really matter?

Guest BEAVERTAIL

There is only 1 real answer.

16 teams is way too many, teams with 3 losses would qualify and that would take away 8 bowls and more importantly the excitement college football has over any other sport in the regular season. Every game matters.

In order to keep the bowls and the tradition, we must go to a 4 team or an +1 system, UNLESS you have 2 undefeateds from BCS confrences and are 1&2 in the coaches and BCS polls.

That way, you keep the excitement during the regular season, as still a undefeated season keeps you in the race and locks you in, 1 loss is still huge but you can still reach the finals.

By allowing more, you lose the passion of the regular season, and whether you admit it or not, is the reason you watch most college football games. Every game matters.

If you want to get down to the nuts and bolts of it, the BCS is on shaky ground with the Dormant Commerce Clause. You can make an argument, one that's not all too-farfetched that the effect of the BCS is discriminatory to certain states and prefers some states over others.

Generally, this wouldn't be an issue. But when you throw in the $17M payday...

There is only 1 real answer.

16 teams is way too many, teams with 3 losses would qualify and that would take away 8 bowls and more importantly the excitement college football has over any other sport in the regular season. Every game matters.

In order to keep the bowls and the tradition, we must go to a 4 team or an +1 system, UNLESS you have 2 undefeateds from BCS confrences and are 1&2 in the coaches and BCS polls.

That way, you keep the excitement during the regular season, as still a undefeated season keeps you in the race and locks you in, 1 loss is still huge but you can still reach the finals.

By allowing more, you lose the passion of the regular season, and whether you admit it or not, is the reason you watch most college football games. Every game matters.

Look at the NFL....it's a playoff situation. Every game matters for seeding and making the playoffs. With alot more teams than the NFL, treat it like college basketball and have regional tournaments with smaller groups based on conference champs. You could still have a "bowl season" for those not making the tournament. I watch college football because I love football. I watch the NFL and don't follow a specific team. I love the race for the playoffs and the playoff games themselves. If we just let the "undefeated' play for it all, then Utah vs. Boise....yawn yawn yawn is the "two best teams?" The only real way is to seed the teams and those who win win those who don't don't. It doesn't take away the thrill of the regular season and every game does count.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

No its not.

College football ratings are consistently higher according to Nielsen than pro teams. Also, as a fan of the NFL, most only watch one team they prefer or games that will affect them. College Football is the only one that doesnt do that, everyone watches because it is so passionate and dramatic.

Speaking of playoffs, how many NFL teams sit players? Exactly. That takes away from the integrity of the game.

You obviously didnt read my posts, the undefeateds would have to be 1 & 2 in the BCS AND Coaches poll to get an at large and not require a playoff. So that blows that example.

And yes seed the teams 1-4 on a normal year. But allowing 3 and 4 loss teams into the playoffs only decreases the value of the games with the 16 team system. Your point is also moot because their is a race for the playoffs in my system, just like the NFL.

No its not.

College football ratings are consistently higher according to Nielsen than pro teams. Also, as a fan of the NFL, most only watch one team they prefer or games that will affect them. College Football is the only one that doesnt do that, everyone watches because it is so passionate and dramatic.

Speaking of playoffs, how many NFL teams sit players? Exactly. That takes away from the integrity of the game.

You obviously didnt read my posts, the undefeateds would have to be 1 & 2 in the BCS AND Coaches poll to get an at large and not require a playoff. So that blows that example.

And yes seed the teams 1-4 on a normal year. But allowing 3 and 4 loss teams into the playoffs only decreases the value of the games with the 16 team system. Your point is also moot because their is a race for the playoffs in my system, just like the NFL.

My point is that it would be exciting to see those teams that may have lost 2 or 3 knock out the the big teams. I'm a fan of underdogs unless it's my team as many people are. I'm saying personally I would enjoy the playoff situation of 8-16 teams. It could work and still be fun. In the NFL, if two undefeated teams play or one undefeated plays a decent team , alot of people watch it in hopes that they will witness the upset. In college football, a lot of people watch the big games that are now being put at 8 on Saturday night. A lot of them show to be big dissapointments too. Look at Oklahoma and TT or Mizzou. Both should have been half way watchable, but weren't. It's like watching Davidson buzzsaw through opponents in the BBall tourny last year. Just my point.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
My point is that it would be exciting to see those teams that may have lost 2 or 3 knock out the the big teams. I'm a fan of underdogs unless it's my team as many people are. I'm saying personally I would enjoy the playoff situation of 8-16 teams. It could work and still be fun. In the NFL, if two undefeated teams play or one undefeated plays a decent team , alot of people watch it in hopes that they will witness the upset. In college football, a lot of people watch the big games that are now being put at 8 on Saturday night. A lot of them show to be big dissapointments too. Look at Oklahoma and TT or Mizzou. Both should have been half way watchable, but weren't. It's like watching Davidson buzzsaw through opponents in the BBall tourny last year. Just my point.

Funny you mention Oklahoma and TT, it had more viewers than ANY football game this year in the NFL last I checked according to the Nielsen ratings.

As for your underdog statements, in a 8 game playoff, only 6 underdog games could occur in the playoffs. (4v5 is not one IMO).

In my system, every game still matters, and the underdog can win at any time and create havoc. Iowa, Colorado, Appy St., Ol Miss, Pitt, Arkansas, all did it and the list goes on. Ill take a season where every game matters compared to when a loss isnt that bad, and you can sit players. With a playoff, why even have a conference championship? thats another question you have to ask yourself, and another close game. We wouldnt have seen Bama UF if it wasnt for that.

I figure you might come back and say, look at March Madness! Its the greatest tournament in the world! And your right it is. BUT, college football has the greatest regular season in the world. The only "problem" is the fact that somefan bases feel like they get snubbed every year so they immediately hate the BCS.

Under my system, the 4 best teams settle it out on the field, while allowing every game to still matter. You can not beat that.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

In addition, if you take the top 16 teams you leave out VT, the conference champion and put in GT who didnt even make the title game.

Guess what this sounds like? Texas/OU. VT beat GT, but GT played better towards the end of the season. Similar huh? If you forget conference champions, forget they even played them, you would have in your system with 16 teams VT fans throwing a fit.

There will always be controversy.