What's the deal with Marion's girl's coach?

Birdmangwu

This woman has got to be the worst coach I have ever seen. She has at least 4 girls on the team that used to play AAU together yet she hardly ever puts them on the court together. She subs at the tiniest mistake so players don't even get a chance to get warmed up and into the game. Any loss is blamed on the girls to the tune of 'I can't believe you didn't win this for me!!'. That is totally unacceptable. When the starters are subbed out and the score starts to get out of hand, a coach should be able to tell and make the necessary changes, but not this coach. Everything is too personal and taken as being against her when all the girls want is to play ball. I wonder how many players over the last few years have had potential scholarship chances taken away because of Sallie Moss. Players with potential have not bothered going out for basketball because of the drama she starts and feeds within the team. I have heard that after Tuesday's loss to Chilhowie that the girls have to write a one page paper about what they think their role is and responsibilities are to the team. I say the coaches need to do the same, copy them and send them home with the players to the parents of the players.

This situation has been going on for years. Parents have approached the high school administrators many times. Administrators deny knowing about any problems. I know last year the coach told the girls in the locker room at halftime of one game that 'you suck!'. Then all the girls walked out of practice the following day when being threatened about paying for losing badly. What a way to create moral. This issue went all the way to the superintendant last year with no resulting reprimand to the coach.

Do any of you guys have any fun stuff like this happening in your schools?

Edited by Birdmangwu

I know exactly what you mean birdman. I mentioned her in another post on here. Everyone in the Marion community knows what kind of coach she is. It is all about her and not about the girls but of course the principal is big buddies with the coach so that is why nothing has ever been done. Marion has went from having a good solid girls program over the last several decades to winning a handful of games each year, if that!!

I do not know why this has gone on as long as it has. I do not care how good of a basketball player she was in high school and college, she cannot coach period. Something needs to be done, half the time I am not even sure she is paying attention to the game.

I'm not trying to be a smart a** here, but i really don't understand what this sentence means.

"Then all the girls walked out of practice the following day when being threated about paying for losing badly".

Can you clarify?

I'm not trying to be a smart a** here, but i really don't understand what this sentence means.

"Then all the girls walked out of practice the following day when being threated about paying for losing badly".

Can you clarify?

To me, it sounds like they are trying to say..."the girls walked out of practice after the coach threatened to make them pay for a bad loss".

To me, it sounds like they are trying to say..."the girls walked out of practice after the coach threatened to make them pay for a bad loss".

hahha thanks gman i was staring at the sentence for like 5 min trying to understand but it just wasn't happening

What is the going price for a loss these days?

so the coach expects the most out of her players....so what?

So she doesn't have to verbally abuse the kids, that's what. Look, I know the odds of getting full rides at big schools aren't that good, but even a partial ride at a smaller school could mean a good education without as much hardship on the family, right?

so the coach expects the most out of her players....so what?

If that is what it was that would be fine. I`m all for a coach expecting the most out their players. I`m all for conditioning and working hard. Of course, not being from Marion I understand you do not know anything about the situation. You can talk to anyone about her in the Smyth County community that watches high school basketball and they will tell you the same thing we are.

Just because kids play AAU does not mean that they should be better than everyone else. Coach Moss is trying to build the program back to the same level it was when she was playing. Sometimes schools go through a lull in athletes in a sport so it is not always the coaches fault. I thought High school athletics was about building Character not so much about winning or losing. Most of the kids who play are not going to get scholarships so they should play for the love of the game, being around thier buds, and a chance to compete. That siad I think that Marion is playing it's best basketball in several years give them a chance.

Just because kids play AAU does not mean that they should be better than everyone else. Coach Moss is trying to build the program back to the same level it was when she was playing. Sometimes schools go through a lull in athletes in a sport so it is not always the coaches fault. I thought High school athletics was about building Character not so much about winning or losing. Most of the kids who play are not going to get scholarships so they should play for the love of the game, being around thier buds, and a chance to compete. That siad I think that Marion is playing it's best basketball in several years give them a chance.

In this case the girls that have played AAU are the better players. I know all of the girls that play, I go to every game. If you go to any of the games you should notice her coaching ability. You can not run a press with two girls and have everyone else back. Also, it is hard to build character when all the coach cares about is herself. I have went to every game the last several years and yes they are playing the best basketball they have played in the last few years. This is because of the experience from the girls from the Chilhowie AAU team. A team that has a good coach who teaches fundamentals.

Edited by HurricaneWarning

If that is what it was that would be fine. I`m all for a coach expecting the most out their players. I`m all for conditioning and working hard. Of course, not being from Marion I understand you do not know anything about the situation. You can talk to anyone about her in the Smyth County community that watches high school basketball and they will tell you the same thing we are.

Please don't replace her with an ugly coach......... Mike Davidson was so ugly he had to sneak up on a drink of water.

I dont care if the girls win another game, Moss atleast is something to look at.

In the interests of objectivity, it is difficult for many wise posters of this board to weigh in on this issue. Perhaps some photographs of the coach in question would be helpful. Purely from an intellectual standpoint, of course.