Pat White

fieldgeneral

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

over and over and over....lets just close this topic and be done with it and let it play out.

nah, wvuraiders they are right in a way. Pat does have alot of presure on him, cause he has all of mteer nations hopes to carry. And as it has been said, no one would give him a shot before, except the mteers. Over coming the odds is a favorite passtime for Mr Pat white. So lets just sit back and see what happens now. Anyone who follows football knows he is a winner and is a better QB then several starting QBS in the NFL.... oh and BTW those teams that past on him, LIke bama and LSU. dont think for a minute they didnt eat crow and wish they had it to do all over again. Anyone who thinks pat not taking reps as a kick returner or a wide out hurt his draft status is crazy... he would have been up against all stars who had been doing it for years.... the NFL scouts know he could play those positions but not on just a few days practice. so my moneys on Pat White a great young man and a great QB. 5 bowl wins 4 mvps. what else does he have to do?

over and over and over....lets just close this topic and be done with it and let it play out.

White will get drafted as a QB and given the chance. NOONE knows how well he will do. There are those of us who believe in him and his ability to do it. There are some of us who don't buy the fact that he can throw accurately. There are those of us who beleive he would be better off as a return man or reciever. Only time will tell. We'll revisit this on draft day I'm sure and then again during next season.

nah, wvuraiders they are right in a way. Pat does have alot of presure on him, cause he has all of mteer nations hopes to carry. And as it has been said, no one would give him a shot before, except the mteers. Over coming the odds is a favorite passtime for Mr Pat white. So lets just sit back and see what happens now. Anyone who follows football knows he is a winner and is a better QB then several starting QBS in the NFL.... oh and BTW those teams that past on him, LIke bama and LSU. dont think for a minute they didnt eat crow and wish they had it to do all over again. Anyone who thinks pat not taking reps as a kick returner or a wide out hurt his draft status is crazy... he would have been up against all stars who had been doing it for years.... the NFL scouts know he could play those positions but not on just a few days practice. so my moneys on Pat White a great young man and a great QB. 5 bowl wins 4 mvps. what else does he have to do?

Nice post. only thing to do is watch the combines and draft and eventually next season.

Yes, LSU is eating crow for not offering Pat White as a quarterback. You know, throw out the National Championship, 1st round draft picks and #1 overall pick, they've had a very, very rough time without PW.

Give me a break.

Yes, LSU is eating crow for not offering Pat White as a quarterback. You know, throw out the National Championship, 1st round draft picks and #1 overall pick, they've had a very, very rough time without PW.

Give me a break.

lol they did great this year with ryan peri-who right? Come on, you know they would have loved to have this kid. Sure they have done well and will continue to do so, but I'm sure they would have loved to have him, that's all the dude is saying.

Give me a break.

NOW THIS GUY IN SMART....LOL . I didnt say they did bad without him. i said they were stupid for saying he couldnt play qb and yes he was much better then who they had

• 1 year later...

Pat has options. He can go back to baseball where he was drafted several times. He could find a home with a team where his skills are needed. He could jump to reciever if he wanted to. Only time will tell.

Looks like he wasn't NFL QB material after all like you predicted.

Ex-Dolphins second-round pick Pat White gives baseball a try

By Doug Farrar

At West Virginia, Pat White(notes) set the NCAA rushing record for quarterbacks with 4,480 yards, but he was more than just another speed option signal-caller. Many baseball scouts thought that White could have been a star when he came out of Daphne High School in Alabama -- he was a star pitcher and outfielder, and led his team to a pair of state championships in three years. The Anaheim Angels (this was before they became the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the County of Orange in the State of California in the United States of America on the Planet Earth) selected him in the fourth round of the 2004 draft and offered him a six-figure bonus to play their sport.

White, however, had something else in mind. "That was definitely a hard decision for me at that time, deciding whether to go to school and play college football or try my hand at professional baseball, but at the end the excitement of college football got the better of me," he said at the 2009 scouting combine.

[Related: Bold predictions for the 2010 NFL season]

At that combine, the Miami Dolphins fell in love with the idea of White as the possible aerial component to their ground-based Wildcat offense, and selected White in the second round. In the end, he never was able to transfer his specific skills to the pro game, failing to complete a pass in five NFL attempts and looking slow and outmatched when in the shotgun in Miami's more physical option attack. The Dolphins released White on September 4, and White passed through waivers unclaimed. As Yahoo's own Jason Cole said during Dolphins training camp, White had an outside chance at best of making the team after his rookie year unless he switched to another position - perhaps as a receiver, or a Percy Harvin(notes)-style multiple threat guy.

At that point, White had two choices: Try and make a go of it in the UFL and rebuild his stock, or give baseball another shot. He made that decision on Friday by reportedly agreeing to sign a minor-league deal with the Kansas City Royals. According to Pro Football Talk, the Royals understand that White may want to give pro football another shot and will remain open to the idea of his playing both sports. Major league teams have remained interested all along -- the Yankees drafted him in the 48th round just last year.

Is the NFL ready for a 6-foot-0, 197-pound option quarterback who struggles with the timing of counters and draws, and is best in the Pistol formation? Not unless it's the perfect situation, with the perfect coach, and the perfect team. If White can get his baseball career going again, he might be best off putting curiosity aside and focusing on what he does best. Expecting Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson in this case could be a bit much.